onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

(OVF) Ryan Burge gives his version of Vale exit and accuses Adams of wrongdoing

Guest OVF Feature

One thing he doesn't clarify is why all the other players were picked up and it was just him that wasn't

My reading of the statement was that he was singled-out because he had delayed signing his new contract. I saw that as one of his points against Micky Adams - the club had already arranged to pick players up but Adams decided they were not going to pick him (Burge) up because he was angry at him not signing his contract.

Advert

Regardless of what happened there is a common string of MA being unable or reluctant to develop young players.

I'm not sure it's as simple as that. After all, Adams did play them both initially. To me, it seems to be more a case of Adams just didn't know how to handle temperamental/opinionated young players. He seemed to have a very black and white "my way or the highway" approach. His response towards Morsy/Burge (if you believe the claims) was as soon as they transgressed (for whatever reason) he felt that they could not be trusted again. There was no second chance. He would boot them out of the first-team picture completely and as a result both left the club.

In many respects you can argue both for and against Adams' decision. On the positive side, he clearly wanted a close dressing room and players he could rely on (and he got us promotion despite losing both players earlier in the season). On the negative side, if his actions had not been so draconian could we have developed both players into key members of the team?

My reading of the statement was that he was singled-out because he had delayed signing his new contract. I saw that as one of his points against Micky Adams - the club had already arranged to pick players up but Adams decided they were not going to pick him (Burge) up because he was angry at him not signing his contract.

My understanding is that he was late / in the wrong pick up area.

I would imagine there is some truth in the fact Adams, who clearly wasn't a man to be messed with, was indeed annoyed by the delaying of a new contract but had he been there on time Adams couldn't have acted for the club in the way he did.

I do remember back to the season he was constantly injured and although we listed him there were lots of us as fans who wanted shot of him so I wouldn't suggest he was treated badly as the club did stand by him (as is their requirement) and then Adams gave him a long chance to shine and for me he cocked it up.

I'm also lead to believe he was 'hard work' amongst his team mates possibly unsurprisingly.

Ryan Burge is a complete and utter weapon. He showed a little bit of talent (after Adams gave him is chance) but then disappeared so far up his own ******** he could see the back of his teeth.

He's ****** away his entire career and a struggle to feel even an ounce of sympathy for him.

I concede Adams dropped a big one in his handling of Morsy, but he got the Burge situation spot on. A bad apple that just needed binning.

I'm not sure it's as simple as that. After all, Adams did play them both initially. To me, it seems to be more a case of Adams just didn't know how to handle temperamental/opinionated young players. He seemed to have a very black and white "my way or the highway" approach. His response towards Morsy/Burge (if you believe the claims) was as soon as they transgressed (for whatever reason) he felt that they could not be trusted again. There was no second chance. He would boot them out of the first-team picture completely and as a result both left the club.

In many respects you can argue both for and against Adams' decision. On the positive side, he clearly wanted a close dressing room and players he could rely on (and he got us promotion despite losing both players earlier in the season). On the negative side, if his actions had not been so draconian could we have developed both players into key members of the team?

Ryan Burge was a promising player, who was more than a bit cocky and sure of himself - no bad thing it is saved for the right time.

Throw that in the face of a manager like Micky Adams and there will only be one result - and the details of this incident don't matter as much as the fact that if it hadn't been this story, it would have been something else before long.

You have to ask what would have happened if Ryan had Sir Alex Ferguson, Brian Clough or any one of a hundred disciplinarian managers - and the answer is the same, MA did not act wrongly ar all as one player with bad attitude soon spreads his poison - allegedly Gary Roberts was the same, Adams gave him more chances but he had to go in the end.

The way to prove your point Mr Burge, and to get your own back, would be to become a successful player but you have not done that, and let a good career go off track.

Burge had a great talent - wasted. MA probably lost his rag with him. Quite understandably. When and where doesn't matter really. The man is a serial **** and has blown his talent. That is really a pity. Where is he now? I'm not saying this in a nasty way. I was always a big Burge fan. But, he's an **** to be honest.

We may never know all the relevant details but it probably reflects a bit on both of them.

I remember just before Rudgie (blessed be his name) got sacked, he'd unearthed a young Marcus Bent to replace Ainsworth.

Horton couldn't be doing with Bent, disruptive influence and all that, so he moved him on as a free. He went on to be transferred here there and everywhere for millions.I can't help thinking Rudgie (blessed be his name) would have handled him more elegantly, got a decent season or two out of him and brought in a couple of million for him when he went.

We may never know all the relevant details but it probably reflects a bit on both of them.

I remember just before Rudgie (blessed be his name) got sacked, he'd unearthed a young Marcus Bent to replace Ainsworth.

Horton couldn't be doing with Bent, disruptive influence and all that, so he moved him on as a free. He went on to be transferred here there and everywhere for millions.I can't help thinking Rudgie (blessed be his name) would have handled him more elegantly, got a decent season or two out of him and brought in a couple of million for him when he went.

Rudgie never got the chance to get the best out of his last signing, Marcus Bent, who would have saved his job if that alleged ungrateful evil old crook Bill Bell hadn't sacked him and led us to a new era of mediocrity.

As some may have seen, I am no fan of Horton as a manager (though a great player and captain) but Bent was not released on a free, I think we got about £300k for him, a bit short of what Rudgie had paid. But you are totally correct that he couldn't stop scoring for fun when played in the coreect position Rudgie had planned for him, instead of shunting him out wide which tactical genius Horton did.

So barely a year after Horton let him go for £300k, he was transferred for something like 2 or 3 million and became a big star in the top flight.

Archived