Sign in to follow this  
Howjy04

George Best.

In your opinion. Its funny how the people that emigrate always try to be the most provocative.

Distance being the great asset of the keyboard wimp, sorry, warrior.

Cantona, in my opinion, and many other peoples, was far more talented than Best. Best was the one deserving the asterisks if anybody.

And a little poetry shouldn't be offensive to you, I don't suppose you get much of anything involving imagination and creativity there though.

Neither of them are fit to lace Dean Stokes' boots.

I've said it before, of all the players I've seen live at a football match (and I've seen all the 'greats' since the sixties), I'd put George Best out in front, on his own.

He was a superb player, an absolute joy to watch.

I can't recall all the greats I've watched over many years off the top of my head and it's hard to compare one generation with another, as well as players in different positions, but the ones that spring immediately to mind would be Banks, Greaves and King Kenny.

But I guess many on here aren't old enough to recognise some of these names!

I've said it before, of all the players I've seen live at a football match (and I've seen all the 'greats' since the sixties), I'd put Kevin Kent out in front, on his own.

I can't recall all the greats I've watched over many years off the top of my head and it's hard to compare one generation with another, as well as players in different positions, but the ones that spring immediately to mind would be Rogier Koordes, Peter Beadle and Bryan McGlinchey.

Agreed.

In your opinion. Its funny how the people that emigrate always try to be the most provocative.

Distance being the great asset of the keyboard wimp, sorry, warrior.

Cantona, in my opinion, and many other peoples, was far more talented than Best. Best was the one deserving the asterisks if anybody.

And a little poetry shouldn't be offensive to you, I don't suppose you get much of anything involving imagination and creativity there though.

Where do you live then? As the biggest attention seeker on the site, it must be ****ing far away.

My pick of the best british players iv seen are george best, john charles, jim baxter,bobby charlton,and as and out and out goalscorer brian clough how much would those cost at todays prices.

I'm too young to have seen Best play, but I can remember me and my mates at school in south Manchester used to think Cantona was cool. I'm not sure any of us condoned karate kicking random opposition fans, or going missing in big European games, or any of the other assaults he used to sporadically commit on opposition players.

I find it's best not to try and analyse these things too much.

I'm old enough to have seen George Best playing both in live matches and on TV. Take it from me, in terms of pure footballing ability, there's absolutely no comparison between Cantona & Best--without any shadow of a doubt, George Best was by far the better player.

He was a tough nut as well, some of the challenges he endured would be classed as horrific today, he just rode the tackle and carried on.

If he played today and with the protection he'd get in my opinion he would be unplayable.

He was a tough nut as well, some of the challenges he endured would be classed as horrific today, he just rode the tackle and carried on.

If he played today and with the protection he'd get in my opinion he would be unplayable.

I'm confused now. Are you talking about Dean Stokes or George Best?

Maybe read posts before commenting on them?

1. Hitting women isn't a medical problem.

2. I haven't sneered or looked down on Best's alcoholism, I've criticised the way he is now perceived as cool. His drink problem (and resultant issues) is often regarded as funny, entertaining or laddish, when in reality it's extremely grim.

OK?

He was an alcoholic and had all the issues that went along with that. He tragically paid the ultimate price.

None of which has anything to do with the fact that he was an amazing talent.

Nobody could ever accuse you of being a compassionate caring person though mr h. Not anyone who had ever read your posts that is.

I've said it before, of all the players I've seen live at a football match (and I've seen all the 'greats' since the sixties), I'd put George Best out in front, on his own.

I can't recall all the greats I've watched over many years off the top of my head and it's hard to compare one generation with another, as well as players in different positions, but the ones that spring immediately to mind would be Banks, Greaves and King Kenny.

I remember those names and others but do you realise that we're giving our ages away.

Fantastic, saw him at the Hawthorns and Albion won 6-3, but when he got the ball the 50K crowd went quiet watching him. Sadly fame and fortune in the buzz of the 60s took their toil. Not an excuse, it happens, ask Gazzer.

Couldn't disagree more,what protection?he'd be kicked off the park in todays game where if someone dares dribble's past a player or two he get's cynically taken out.Ginola's treatment was the prime example when the beautiful game changed into what we witness every week particularly in the premiership.

George was a real hard man then..it's easy to kick someone who won't kick you back (call them bullies)..much harder to be kicked and just get on with it

My pick of the best british players iv seen are george best, john charles, jim baxter,bobby charlton,and as and out and out goalscorer brian clough how much would those cost at todays prices.

From what I have seen, read and heard from those that saw those players you're a lucky man to have seen them :)

Watched a documentary about Brian Clough recently and it was amazing..and what a goalscoring record

I'd add Paul Gascoigne and Glenn Hoddle to your list.