onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

George Best.

Howjy04

Advert

Wife beater.

Super player but I don't feel comfortable with the deification of Best, and this idea of him being a super-cool role model. I sometimes think that every time people go on about Georgie Boy and what a laugh he was, they should also pass round photos of him in prison, the marks he left on his wife and his yellow body when he died.

Wife beater.

Super player but I don't feel comfortable with the deification of Best, and this idea of him being a super-cool role model. I sometimes think that every time people go on about Georgie Boy and what a laugh he was, they should also pass round photos of him in prison, the marks he left on his wife and his yellow body when he died.

Dear me.

Wife beater.

Its easy to sneer and look down your nose at people with medical problems.

Maybe read posts before commenting on them?

1. Hitting women isn't a medical problem.

2. I haven't sneered or looked down on Best's alcoholism, I've criticised the way he is now perceived as cool. His drink problem (and resultant issues) is often regarded as funny, entertaining or laddish, when in reality it's extremely grim.

OK?

I'm too young to have seen Best play, but I can remember me and my mates at school in south Manchester used to think Cantona was cool. I'm not sure any of us condoned karate kicking random opposition fans, or going missing in big European games, or any of the other assaults he used to sporadically commit on opposition players.

I find it's best not to try and analyse these things too much.

I'm too young to have seen Best play, but I can remember me and my mates at school in south Manchester used to think Cantona was cool. I'm not sure any of us condoned karate kicking random opposition fans, or going missing in big European games, or any of the other assaults he used to sporadically commit on opposition players.

I find it's best not to try and analyse these things too much.

Cantona's single kick at a very deserving mouthy piece of scum and going missing before a game or two are not exactly that bad, I still think of him as a great talent in football, but also a very likable person.

As for George Best, as well as many others like Brian Clough, I think we should be reasonably kind and blame alcohol for what it does to people though if he really did repeatedly beat his wife that really does tarnish his memory.

• 2 weeks later...
Nothing cool about George Best off the pitch.....all rather sad

Brilliant player no doubt but I lost it with him in the mid to late 80s when a mate and I helped a drunk up off the pavement outside the Chelsea Potter pub on the Kings rd. It was 11.30am. It was George Best. We stopped a cab,bunged him in the back. The driver said he knew where he lived. My mate gave the driver a tenner to take him home. We've all been in a similar state one time or another I'd imagine but we didn't go on TV AM the very next morning and swear on our son's life that we hadn't had a drink in 6 months and had special tablets in our stomach that meant we couldn't drink alcohol.

Mouthy or not drop kicking someone in the crowd shouldnt be acceptable to anyone.

I never said it was, but not for the first time, the words are twisted. There is a difference between 'not that bad' and 'acceptable'. Still wrong what Cantona did, but as a one-off under provocation, I cant dislike him for it, he's till a great gut with a few faults.

Archived