Sign in to follow this  
Beza

RIP Sid the Hairdresser

Sad news that big Stoke fan Sid the Hairdresser has sadly passed away,top top guy. Spent many hours in the past talking nothing but football to Sid. RIP Top man.

Hi, I've moved this into the obituary section ("Gone but not forgotten").

My thoughts and best wishes to Sid's friends and family...

Sad news that big Stoke fan Sid the Hairdresser has sadly passed away,top top guy. Spent many hours in the past talking nothing but football to Sid. RIP Top man.

Totally agree.Stoke to the core.He used to cut my hair 40 years ago when he was in Huntbach street.Never mentioned I was a Vale fan in case he slipped.Top bloke.RIP Sid.

Sad to hear that Sid has passed away.He was a massive Stoke fan but attended Vale too.He was one of the old breed of fans who attended both Stoke and Vale games.His barber's shop in the early days at Newcastle and later in Hanley was the place to go for the latest gossip from both clubs,as the management and players all went there for their haircuts.Great guy and well respected.RIP Sid !!!

Knew Sid well as I was born and raised in Huntbach street, directly opposite Sids shop, remember getting my hair cut the morning I got married. Also remember his mate Alan who worked there.

Knew Sid well as I was born and raised in Huntbach street, directly opposite Sids shop, remember getting my hair cut the morning I got married. Also remember his mate Alan who worked there.

Yes, his mate was Alan Whalley,great characters:yes:

RIP Sid, though I never had you cut my hair. I did however spend many happy hours in Ivan's in Tunstall, who was a Vale fan, and would offer fishing tips as he delivered a belting short back and sides. Love an old fashioned barber who could chew the fat about football.

Sometimes your mind plays tricks on you but I'm sure Alan used to smoke whilst cutting your hair. How times change eh?

In the late 80s/early 90s there were 4 of them all working in the shop just outside Hanley, and they were still mad busy. I think it was his son and daughter in addition to him and Alan.

Any self respecting football fan needed to go there as the talk was of little else, and always in an educated way with no real bias for either club although he was a Stokie. I remember seeing Sid only recently at Vale Park, so his 2 club support continued many years.

THE place to have your hair done at that time, and the last time that having it done was an event rather than a chore as far as my personal experience goes

P

Sometimes your mind plays tricks on you but I'm sure Alan used to smoke whilst cutting your hair. How times change eh?

In the late 80s/early 90s there were 4 of them all working in the shop just outside Hanley, and they were still mad busy. I think it was his son and daughter in addition to him and Alan.

Any self respecting football fan needed to go there as the talk was of little else, and always in an educated way with no real bias for either club although he was a Stokie. I remember seeing Sid only recently at Vale Park, so his 2 club support continued many years.

THE place to have your hair done at that time, and the last time that having it done was an event rather than a chore as far as my personal experience goes

Alan was never without a fag while cutting hair, he used to buy them from our shop just across the road.

P

Alan was never without a fag while cutting hair, he used to buy them from our shop just across the road.

I was going to ask if you lived in the newsagents over the road when I saw your post earlier.Sid will be sadly missed,that's for sure.

I remember Sid when he was at The Mayfair barbers by Newcastle bus station, me and my bro used to get Tiko pasty chips and peas and go to Sid and have our snappin during our lunch break at St Patricks school. Football was on the menu at all times.

Yes, his mate was Alan Whalley,great characters:yes:

They certainly were. Often had Whal's lit fags worryingly close to my ears/hair while he was cutting. I'll always remember overhearing one conversation that Whal had with a young customer while I was sat waiting for a cut :-

Whal : You've just come back from holiday in America haven't you?

Kid : We went to Canada.

Whal : Its the same bluddy thing, ain't it?!

As for Sid, I always preferred him to cut my hair just because of his love for talking about football, and he'd always give an honest, unbiased opinion on Vale despite him being as avid a Stoke fan as you could get - dunno if he ever had a season-ticket for Vale but he certainly seemed to go to most Vale home games over a long period that I was a customer in the 80s/90s.

To echo melv's comments, he was a top bloke. RIP Sid.

Where was Sid's shop in Newcastle? The only old school hairdressers I remember round there when I was growing up were a) the editor from The Advertiser who had a shop underneath their offices in what was to become the Fine Fare/ that new cinema building and b) the old guy who had a shop on the road leading up to Ritzys who just seemed to churn out flat tops.

Where was Sid's shop in Newcastle? The only old school hairdressers I remember round there when I was growing up were a) the editor from The Advertiser who had a shop underneath their offices in what was to become the Fine Fare/ that new cinema building and b) the old guy who had a shop on the road leading up to Ritzys who just seemed to churn out flat tops.

Not sure if he had a shop in Newcastle.Mayfair was owned by the Davis family in the arcade.I think Sid worked there.