onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

End these tragic tuesdays

Bea Smith

I'm quite prepared to be shot down by some for this but the time has come for some radical change on our midweek home league performances on tuesdays.

My suggestions is to get rid of Tuesday home league games and play them on Wednesday. At worst it should make little or no difference, at best we might just find the extra day after the weekend helps us enormously.

Would more people attend ? Again, no reason why it should be worse gates, might just be better.

It may not be possible to change anything for the rest of this season, but plan to play next season midweek home games on a Wednesday and see if it helps.

Many years ago now, Vale played on Monday nights and gates were relatively good for midweek, but I cant see them going back to Sat /Mon games so Wednesday is probably the only possible way to change it.

Advert

As a Taxi driver I'd love all future games to be at 1am in a morning. I'd be worth a fortune. Lol

Being serious though is it just Football that has religiously stuck to 3pm kick offs on a Sat? The world is now a 24 hour 7 day a week society, so why has football remained in the dark ages. A lot of people now work Saturdays so perhaps you'd get more attending by playing on a different day.

As a Taxi driver I'd love all future games to be at 1am in a morning. I'd be worth a fortune. Lol

Being serious though is it just Football that has religiously stuck to 3pm kick offs on a Sat? The world is now a 24 hour 7 day a week society, so why has football remained in the dark ages. A lot of people now work Saturdays so perhaps you'd get more attending by playing on a different day.

Interesting stuff, though I was really only addressing Vale's home midweek league games, not so much thinking about any change to Saturdays.

I like main fixtures to be Saturdays and hate the way Sky and others have half-ruined the traditional Saturday afternoon fixture list - especially when you get to things like the FA Cup quarter-finals and find only 1 of 4 games kicking off at 3pm Saturday.

I notice a lot of German Bundesliga games are played Friday nights and Italian games sundays, but Saturdays is our day in England for football and I badly miss it if we don't have a game on a Saturday afternoon.

Going back to my original proposal - any opinion on changing the Tuesday night to Wednesday for midweek home league and cup games ?

We seemed to do pretty ok against Burnley back in August.

The cause is not the day of the week, it is the inconsistancy that consists in our squad, which struggles to play two games in a short space because 40% of our squad are not good enough at this level and therefore we cannot change it too much and we are fielding almost the same players, tired or not, every game, every competition.

Terrible idea. Football should be 3pm Saturday. If you have to work weekends, you want a new job.

So the solution is no midweek games..there you go

I suppose by playing Sat then Tue the players are still feeling the effect of the Sat game on Tue and so it will take them longer to recover from the Tue game. Play on a Wed and yes there is a shorter gap to the next Sat game but the Wed game won't have taken so much out of them as a Tue game would ..I think :dizzy:

Ultimately it's an issue with the squad not being big/fit/able enough to cope but whilst that is the case playing on a Wednesday seems to make sense

Maybe the players should wear a bright yellow day glow strip for night games, the lack of bulbs in the floodlights could be affecting their ability to pass to one another?

Put the bulbs in and the lights would shine in the players' eyes especially on a Tuesday night.So the same problem.;)

Archived