onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Independent Police review

Fuzzy Dunlop

No axe to grind.

A simple observation.Amanda says "It became apparent there were groups of people intent on being involved in criminal disorder"There were obvious signs from the actions of the Sheff Utd fans there was potential for trouble.This would have / should have been noticed by the police / stewards.What was the point in having the 4 police vans parked by the fire station?Absolutely pathetic place for them to be parked considering the situation.A lot more sensible for them to be on or by the away fans car park where they could have been put to better use.Put the vans on the away fans car park,use them to block off the exits and keep fans apart.Had this been done then maybe to two injured officers would not have been in the position that they were in when they got injured.Aparently Matthew Ellis was at the game yesterday.I wonder what his thoughts are.The police said it was apparent there could be trouble.So why sit back out of the way parked up by the fire station?

Melv, I think maybe the police parked on the fire station to perhaps be ready in case trouble flared and needed, imagine if all those police were outside the ground and nothing happened like Boxing Day , we would be saying what a waste of money, also during the first half I noticed not a single copper in the ground by the police box , maybe again keeping a low profile . At 2.30 I saw a group of about 30 lads on the car park entrance near the club shop squaring Up ,went on for a few minutes lots of shouting couple of punches thrown , could see this was going get ugly. I went in club shop after game and a lady came in with young daughter who was crying saying they were throwing things asked could she wait in shop till it calmed down. I came out of shop and saw the Hamil blocked off , heard all hell had broken out, when I was eventually allowed up Hamil I saw a lad about 20ish by the lorne street entrance throwing bricks into the car park, it made me sick to think of the damage that could of done to an innocent fan ,even child. I'm afraid as much as I want to take my young granddaughter her first game I have had second thought at the moment, I do hope that anyone found guilty from either side gets the book thrown at them.

Advert

Slightly off topic, but I see Manchester police are going to allow City and Utd to play on the same day.

Why do so many men/youths walk towards the ground from the Burslem direction after the match. Perhaps police "intelligence" can work that one out. Yes, they aren't wearing colours.

I've just posted on another topic about this before I read this one, if the police could hold away fans back 15mins then put them straight onto their buses instead of letting them mill around the car-park. I know our idiots will have been moved on and cleared off the park to go top of the Hamil or into Burslem to wait for the coaches, but they aren't a bottleneck as the car park is. From what I saw on the Hamil the police were talking to some of the fans but most of the others behind were still shouting at our idiots in the park and on the road...could the road outside the ground be closed to traffic and pedestrians till the away fans buses are ready to go.

Hamil Road is a public highway, so the police would have to man barricades at the High Lane/ Moorland Road junctions and arrange a diversionary route. They'd also have to stop up all the minor roads joining along the length of Hamil Road. Also a lot of home fans would normally be leaving the Co-Op car park and turning left into Hamil Road, so they'd have to be diverted via Moorland Road and High Lane.

Normally highways are only temporarily stopped up by the police for serious reasons, e.g. road crashes. Any regular or semi regular closure of Hamil Road would have to be backed up by a temporary traffic regulation order with advance notice published every single time. And the whole cost of this would undoubtedly come back on the club.

Logistical nightmare.

Unfortunately, you are in a no win situation with regards preempting potential crowd problems. However, in assessing the risk, far better to have too much presence for a game like Saturdays. Most people were probably amazed with the so called police intelligence for the Donny game, but I would be surprised if anyone expected a quiet day on Saturday. I hope common sense prevails when it comes to blame, as I don't see what more the club can do. I am sure that the chairman would be the first to castigate any Vale "fan" caught up in the goings on, but outside the ground what can he do. It is not a witch hunt, but the police or moreover this independent panel must examine what went on and learn from the evidence. The one thing we would all agree on is that football does not need these morons whatever their allegiance and they must be severely dealt with.

Hamil Road is a public highway, so the police would have to man barricades at the High Lane/ Moorland Road junctions and arrange a diversionary route. They'd also have to stop up all the minor roads joining along the length of Hamil Road. Also a lot of home fans would normally be leaving the Co-Op car park and turning left into Hamil Road, so they'd have to be diverted via Moorland Road and High Lane.

Normally highways are only temporarily stopped up by the police for serious reasons, e.g. road crashes. Any regular or semi regular closure of Hamil Road would have to be backed up by a temporary traffic regulation order with advance notice published every single time. And the whole cost of this would undoubtedly come back on the club.

Logistical nightmare.

Off on a slight tangent, I'm convinced it's a matter of time before someone is hit by a car after a match on Hamil Rd.

Drivers seem to completely overlook the numbers of people leaving the ground, many of whom walk in the road due to the lack of space on the pavement post-match.

I really wish a copper could be deployed with a big "SLOW DOWN" sign!!

I just hope the police are completely honest about everything we all know how the police can get away with things at football stadiums. The police should take the blame they should be able to keep fans apart hold the away fans back for a while if they think there is the possibility of trouble its always the innocent fans that come off worse in these situations. they get paid a lot of money to do a job and they aren't doing it effectively but I guess it will be turned around and be made out to be port vale football clubs fault

One point I'd like to make to people with children, elderly people in attendance etc is that if you are coming from the RS or RP the leave via the backside of the stadium and walk past the bycars. You will see no mither or trouble leaving that way. It may take a few moments more but is only necessary at games such as Saturday. Common sense. The first I heard of trouble was on the radio.

Off on a slight tangent, I'm convinced it's a matter of time before someone is hit by a car after a match on Hamil Rd.

Drivers seem to completely overlook the numbers of people leaving the ground, many of whom walk in the road due to the lack of space on the pavement post-match.

I really wish a copper could be deployed with a big "SLOW DOWN" sign!!

Off on another tangent, a long time ago, coming out of Hampden Park (Gate of 128k and terraces littered with whisky bottles) no trouble at all, but a car coming towards the crowd was just picked up and placed on its side.

Just listened to the 4 o'clock news on Radio Sjoke. It seems that the police are trying to play down the incident by saying a few S U fans and a few P V fans were involved and a few police tackled it. The other pleasing news was that the a police officer did not break an ankle. Apparently it was a sprain from another incident. Seems a strange mistake to make.

The police should take the blame

No. The blame belongs farely and squarely on the shoulders of the idiot "fans" on both sides. The fact that the issue was poorly handled by the Police is a side issue which is regrettable but not the cause of the problem.

Surely keeping away fans behind for ca 15-30 mins after the game is the most sensible and cost effective solution, is there a legitimate reason it's not done.

Also why the apparent absence of Police Dogs on Saturday, the combination of Police Dogs and Police body cams are a strong reason to get the heck out of the trouble zone. It just amazes me that there were an abundance of 30/40 and older somethings seemingly wanting to get involved in trouble it's not just youths.

Just listened to the 4 o'clock news on Radio Sjoke. It seems that the police are trying to play down the incident by saying a few S U fans and a few P V fans were involved and a few police tackled it. The other pleasing news was that the a police officer did not break an ankle. Apparently it was a sprain from another incident. Seems a strange mistake to make.

Was it a two footed tackle by one of the trouble makers or did she just land awkwardly?

Archived