onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

How do we improve attendances?

woodypvfc

Advert

I went to Newcastle last Wednesday (don't ask!) and they had cash turnstiles available on the night because they knew the crowd would be well below capacity. I still don't understand why Vale can't have a cash turnstile for the Bycars. No matter what we say about the ease of getting tickets, there are still some fans who will use even the most minor irritation (my printer's out of ink, etc) not to go.

I have said many times that we should, at some point during the season, do a free game just to see what the actual potential is out there.

I went to Newcastle last Wednesday (don't ask!) and they had cash turnstiles available on the night because they knew the crowd would be well below capacity. I still don't understand why Vale can't have a cash turnstile for the Bycars. No matter what we say about the ease of getting tickets, there are still some fans who will use even the most minor irritation (my printer's out of ink, etc) not to go.

I have said many times that we should, at some point during the season, do a free game just to see what the actual potential is out there.

With plenty of notice given and build it up!

What about as well as encouraging school children to attend, why don't we try to encourage students at local colleges/universities to come? I have a few rental properties which I let to students at Staffs Uni who mainly originate from outside the area. When I have spoken to them in the past about football they said that they missed going to a regular football match to watch their own team, so quite often I have mentioned to a few of them about going the Vale and some of them have said that they would be interested in coming, but, when they see the price it tends to puts them off.

Also can't we just have a contactless /Apple Pay system instead of a cash turnstile?

I don't see what that would achieve or establish.

We may fill the gaff but so what? It merely confirms that people like FREE football. That doesn't necessarily translate into future support.

If we drew one of the big Prem teams in the FA Cup, we'd sell out easily. That proves (as if it needs proving) that we have a lot of people in the Potteries who will attend as one-off, either as casual Vale fans or as Premiership worshippers. The only difference is, we'd be quids in from the gate receipts.

It's impossible to understate the effect Stoke reaching the top flight has had on the split in football support in the Potteries. Their core support is 12-15,000, but they have mopped up another 10-15,000 simply through going up and staying there.

It's made our job doubly hard because even if they went down, those 10-15,000 Premiership-watching terds aren't just going to follow us instead.

What about as well as encouraging school children to attend, why don't we try to encourage students at local colleges/universities to come? I have a few rental properties which I let to students at Staffs Uni who mainly originate from outside the area. When I have spoken to them in the past about football they said that they missed going to a regular football match to watch their own team, so quite often I have mentioned to a few of them about going the Vale and some of them have said that they would be interested in coming, but, when they see the price it tends to puts them off.

Also can't we just have a contactless /Apple Pay system instead of a cash turnstile?

A group student ticket may be a good shout, but it's obviously far too late for this season now.

Just make sure they don't stand near me, the idle ****s.

Even if it were free, I'm not sure if we would fill the ground.

One thing I would like to see, and I'm not sure if it would attract people to the matches but I do believe it would enhance the match day experience, is ex players on the pitch before and at half time. At the Wigan game, would have been great to see Andy Porter or Matty Carragher. Obviously not going to attract kids but might draw in some of the older fans who have got out of the habit of regularly attending.

Do better family ticket deals for a start. Similar to what Bury do. Never understood why Vale don't give a couple thousand free tickets out to schools. Its not like we've not got the room. We do need to concentrate on the next generation now.

It doesn't seem to boost Burys gates much then. Lol. Its OK reducing the cost to get in, but what happens if as a result the transfer budget gets reduced. At the end of the day, Smurf has said the income coming through the turnstiles needs to increase, so its pointless getting 10,000 every week if the cash received is no more than what 4500 brings in.

We have some successful local companies like Dudsons, Churchill China and Steelite. We should be trying to get them to sponsor a game and get them to pay a certain amount of money for a number of tickets to enable their staff to watch a game free of charge. The possibilities are endless of how it could be beneficial to both parties. I am sure that these three companies would have a number of Vale fans among their staff and an annual family day of employees watching a match and using the facilities such as the Robbie Williams suite when completed. You could have a fashion show for the women if they did not want to watch the game and also have current non playing and former players on hand to mingle with every one.(This should be done at every match).

Archived