onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Average attendance.

Spunk Trumpet

Smurf - "I will have put in £800,000 this season, £400,000 more than I planned to"

How is this possible? I thought Page had spent the budget before we signed Inniss (who was included in that budget). Since then we've only signed Alnwick and McCourt haven't we? And I doubt we're paying them £8k a week each!

We don't know the cash flows in the club, just accept the need for more through the gate hopefully after a few wins.

Advert

I think the original poster (SP), has got a fair point to be honest,

During our first stint back in the old Division Two (2000-2008 era), there were quite a few seasons chucked in there when our average home attendance was only hovering around the 4,500 mark, and Stoke weren't even in the Premier League until the end of the above era.

I think the Vale averaging gates as they are currently (circa 5,000 gates), is probably our true level of support and fanbase all things being equal. Even during our promotion season from League Two, we were only pulling in gates of 5,000-5,500 for the most part. It was only Burton and Northampton last couple of home games where the gates suddenly rocketed because we were on the verge of achieving something we hadn't done in the best part of 20 years.

It's also easy to forget than when we had higher average home crowds in the 1990s, that was more often than not swelled by the likes of Man City, Stoke, West Brom, Wolves and Birmingham etc regularly filling the Hamil End and brining 4,000+ away fans. That never happens these days unfortunately, apart from Wolves a couple of seasons ago when they were in League One for the one season.

Its so easy lose support but really hard to keep it .

If u went the Gillingham ,Doncaster and Wigan games u would be thinking we r going have a really good season.

But by chance because of work committments ,holidays abroad etc and u only have attended the Millwall game u would think what the hell was that and think well i aint giving up my family time watch that again.

We had a perfect chance push on two defeats on and no goals ,very few goal attempts later folk r wondering why we dont get bigger gates .

Earn the right get bigger gates ,win and entertain and when it comes to the FA Cup do a bradford and beat the likes of Chelsea etc get people talking about Vale in a good light again .

Get in that top six and strengthen by bringing in that striker who push us on like u did with Lee Hughes Smurf lad in the promotion season .

Its down to Page and the lads do it though they must perform.above yhemselves and personally i prefered Kevin.Keegans philosophy on.football if they score 3 we score 4 .

Note to page 0-0 is neither near or there get players forward and go for it every game

Lose 2 games on the spin and it's all doom and gloom! Chill out folks, judge the team at the beginning of Nov - 3 points out of the wigan and millwall games is a good outcome the way I look at it!!! Isn't it for you lot? Championship and in some ways a premier league hangover budget, so we did well. I think the Bury game, you have those types of games, damp squids.... It's how you bounce back that will be the test of this team.

Lose another couple out of the next 3 then we can start to judge (league games that is)

I think we are missing the point ever so slightly. Are we questioning average attendences, improvement or no improvement ....no. The gist of the whole attendence thing is GETTING MORE THROUGH THE GATE. More through the gate equals more revenue, equals more money in the playing budget, equals a striker or better players, equals better promotion chances, equals even more fans through the gate.

unfortunately as some Vale fans are not the brightest. This may need drawing.

Then we have the protesting stay aways (latin:****usheadus), your really helping the cause there, well done. We have someone who has invested his Money into the club (Unlike the previous incumbants) and still they stay away.

Ask yourselves, other than the 3000 die hards that go every week. Do the fans of vale deserve a club, at the minute Id say no. And im one of the 3k and home and away every week.

But the answer to bigger gates is 2 things, having the luck of the draw that we have teams in this league with a bigger than average away following and the other.... And this is a symptom at all clubs which ever league you are in... Is results and thus league position that dictate attendances - vale fans like all other clubs supporters are fickle. You aren't going to go to your local pub for food if the food is poop, you ain't going to go and buy a car that doesn't drive if your objective is to get from point a and b everyday, you aren't going to go to a poop hotel if the reviews are dire.....

Football is about results and play poop every week and win... No one cares about the display, unless your a stoke fan having to suffer a Tony Pulis style of play year after year....

Crowds will only come if we are top 6 and playing decent opposition who can draw a good away support.

We will always be c.5.5k unless we drop prices a la aldi, lidl, poundland (aka Bradford) etc or we are consistently winning.... simples!!

I think we are missing the point ever so slightly. Are we questioning average attendences, improvement or no improvement ....no. The gist of the whole attendence thing is GETTING MORE THROUGH THE GATE. More through the gate equals more revenue, equals more money in the playing budget, equals a striker or better players, equals better promotion chances, equals even more fans through the gate.

unfortunately as some Vale fans are not the brightest. This may need drawing.

Then we have the protesting stay aways (latin:****usheadus), your really helping the cause there, well done. We have someone who has invested his Money into the club (Unlike the previous incumbants) and still they stay away.

Ask yourselves, other than the 3000 die hards that go every week. Do the fans of vale deserve a club, at the minute Id say no. And im one of the 3k and home and away every week.

just because you can make every game does not make you a better supporter than anyone else. People have other things like work and bills to pay.

I slept vey well thankyou Norman.

Im not knocking the extra you have put in and you say its a league 2 budget. That explains why we have so many garbage league 2 and below players.

Instead of having a go at how little budget we have and blaming the supporters for not turning up, maybe you could get some sense from Rob as to how Birchall, Yates, Johnson, Daniel, Lloyd, AJLS, Kelly, Campion and others have used up someof that budget, instead of having two quaity players to help us progress. And why the "extra" you keep putting in gets wasted on talent like Jak McCourt who has come to rot on our bench for a month.

Think you missed his point yoth.He was actually saying that on our current turnover,this should only reap a league two budget, meaning he is having to subsidize.Hope thats clearer now.

I don't really care how much the Chairman has put into the club.He will have to put a lot more in come Feb/Mar when gates are traditionally low and if the anticipated el nino weather predictions are true we could have a lot of postponements with no money coming in, followed by replaying the postponed games mid week which are also traditionally low.

If he doesn't like putting money in he can always put the club up for sale at what the club is worth, which is less than he was talked in to paying off the administrators. Including the freehold as the club is worth nothing without the ground.

Before the Smurf lovers come on and lambast me for daring to say this, I am grateful for what he did in taking the club off the administrators, but he is a big boy and I am sure that he is not the only Chairman to have pumped in millions chasing the dream. It is his decision.

I don't really care how much the Chairman has put into the club.He will have to put a lot more in come Feb/Mar when gates are traditionally low and if the anticipated el nino weather predictions are true we could have a lot of postponements with no money coming in, followed by replaying the postponed games mid week which are also traditionally low.

If he doesn't like putting money in he can always put the club up for sale at what the club is worth, which is less than he was talked in to paying off the administrators. Including the freehold as the club is worth nothing without the ground.

Before the Smurf lovers come on and lambast me for daring to say this, I am grateful for what he did in taking the club off the administrators, but he is a big boy and I am sure that he is not the only Chairman to have pumped in millions chasing the dream. It is his decision.

Spot on.

Guest TommyMac

Or he could give the club away for nothing and charge rent for the ground or he could set next season's wage budget at £600k and watch the club decline to non-league. Every £million he put into the club now is one million pounds he knows, barring a miracle, he will not get back.

You are correct, it is his decision.

I tried to cut and paste a poster that has been sent to all staff at work but failed miserably with the caption of how do were compete with this on another thread.

It is an offer of £20 per adult & £5 for under 17's albeit V's Bournemouth from Sjoke City. So reiterate what everybody else is saying unless we top this league we will struggle to increase the crowds. and even if we did get to the dizzy top and it is a big EVEN we will not put 1000's on the gates, they are just not there any more, + no cash turnstiles does not help encourage your avg. hence the slight decrease in gates / revenue.

Or he could give the club away for nothing and charge rent for the ground

I suspect that is the only way he will get any money back. Whether he wants the hassle that I imagine would come with it, or the risk of being left with nothing if any new owner decides to move is a question for further down the line, but we will not reach the Championship or sell £3m worth of players in the foreseeable future.

I tried to cut and paste a poster that has been sent to all staff at work but failed miserably with the caption of how do were compete with this on another thread.

It is an offer of £20 per adult & £5 for under 17's albeit V's Bournemouth from Sjoke City. So reiterate what everybody else is saying unless we top this league we will struggle to increase the crowds. and even if we did get to the dizzy top and it is a big EVEN we will not put 1000's on the gates, they are just not there any more, + no cash turnstiles does not help encourage your avg. hence the slight decrease in gates / revenue.

What difference does a cash turnstile make compared to a ticket office?

What difference does a cash turnstile make compared to a ticket office?

Archived