onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Performance Review

Biddulph_PV

We've looked reasonably solid at the back, apart from - yet again - conceding soft goals from corners which should not happen.

The real problem is beginning to look like our scoring ability, or lack of it. This was a subject of concern for many in pre-season and I hope it doesn't become a big issue for us, although it appears that we have only one plan and if Uche's physicality doesn't create something we look a bit lost.

I'm not sure how you address our frailty off corners as we really only have Inniss who is very good in the air. Uche can't defend and Duffy is poor.

The problem is other teams often have two big centre halves, as well as a couple of tall forwards and when they all come forward for corners we don't appear to have 4 tall defenders who can counteract the threat. The full backs are ok in the air but unless Inniss wins the ball we look vulnerable.

In attack I don't see Andoh scoring many goals though he's very inexperienced and a real trier. Uche is the same. He isn't a natural goalscorer.

I suspect we might have our work cut out scoring goals all season as we don't have many lads who are natural scorers and we lost our three top scorers in the summer.

I like the way we are trying to play more football. It's much better to watch. I also think the new lads have been good signings.

We all have different opinions, but the facts don't lie and the Table doesn't lie. We simply have to put the ball in the net more often, otherwise we're in for a very long season.

Advert

As with most folk who work for a company my performance level always has to be top notch ,if I drop my standards ill lose my job and be plunged to the depths .

Football is no different ,V Doncaster we were superb ,v Wigan deserving winners yet it was disturbing how poor we were first 25 v Millwall it really was that bad we had just beaten Wigan and we come out and let them totally be all over us ,yet after that initial 25 the rest of the game no difference just two sloppy goals between us .

Can't comment on yesterday as didn't go ,but u would think we would be all out attack to make up for Tuesdays debacle.

1100 vale people there what more motivation do they need ,

Hope those who have dropped there standards r made stay behind after training to work on there shortcomings .

Corners need working on use some imagination on them ,to not make there goalie work on at least four of the eleven well its not good enough.

Three identical corner kick goals given away ,Alnwick I'd be telling him come for every corner as someone is costing ,once u could forgive ,twice it's a bit ridiculous ,3 times its a joke .

Take set pieces quicker ,change players positions a player canbe having a very ineffective game in one position but moved to another can be brilliant .

i think they ought to get the archives out and watch the rudge era when it comes to corners, simon mills to the nearpost flick on and bang robbie earle back of the net , or beckford or even a defender. Every one even the opposition knew it was coming but the delivery was perfect and very hard to defend.

I can not understand why we pull all players back to supposedly defend opposition corners, which results in a packed and frantic box.

Why not leave at least one even 2 up field

Why Andoh is pulled back is a complete mystery. When the opposition has a corner, they have at least two men, the taker and the keeper, outside of our box. Put a player on the half way line and the chances are they will bring out at least one more, possibly two. That would give us ten against eight in the box. Why is that a probem?

We shouldn't forget the defensive work from corners that Tom Pope used to do, Vale lost more than just a center forward.

The issue of lack of a goal scorer is frustrating and it's time for Pagey to try Hooper at least off the bench or somehow generate the funds to dip into the loan market.

The return of O'Connor will sort out the problem re free kick set plays although I have never felt his corner kicks have been up to much. Surely they should practice variations at all set plays. I agree with the comment earlier that Alnwick needs to go for every corner. That is not something I would normally advocate but in the Millwall game it was frightening to watch. I also agree that we should leave at least Andoh upfront when the opposition have a corner otherwise it keeps coming back at us. Uche gives a 100% but needs to learn to look up and pass the ball. Page needs to stop being so negative away from home it will be his undoing. However we are playing more attractive football. We are trying to pass rather than simply punt and hope. With the exception of the Paint Pot and Millwall the offering at home is a joy to watch rather than the drivel offered at the end of last season. With the exception of Kelly all the new players I like and Andoh is like an extra signing. Pity he can't shoot. Massive error was the retained list as there are no game changers on the bench. The next two games are massive for Page. 4 points minimum otherwise the knives will be sharpened.

Ok, so we have his guy John Harbin reviewing performance.

Here are the facts.....

- failed to score in 4/5 away games.

- 3 of last 4 goals conceded have come from corners headed in by a big centre-half.

- 12 corners yesterday which failed to muster a single attempt on target.

- we have rescued one single point from losing points this year (drawing at Swindon, losing at Bradford, Millwall and Bury). You might also put the penalty at Swindon in the 'million to one' category.

These are the stats that a layman like me has picked out whilst slurping his morning coffee.

So, if these things keep reoccurring over and over, how is this guy earning his corn?????

Your wasting your time most vale fans don't do facts they are perpetually in dreamland your above analysis spells relegation imho lets hope smurf sees that asap

Your wasting your time most vale fans don't do facts they are perpetually in dreamland your above analysis spells relegation imho lets hope smurf sees that asap

If people pay good money to watch football, they have EVERY RIGHT to be optimistic, instead of paying money to be miserable, people can think what they want because ultimately it makes no difference

Archived