onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Wigan games in the Past, was Home Saturday 12th September

For Us All

Good chance to offer a special deal - £25 for Wigan and Millwall tickets. Improve the crowd on Saturday and Tuesday night. Plenty time to advertise it as well

That works out cheaper than season tickets....or means one of the games is £3 to attend!

It's only September - we don't need to be giving anything away. We're playing well and these two games are relatively big ones.

Advert

I remember going Springfield Park when we won 4-0. Their must of bin over 2k Vale there that day in a 3.5k gate. Good times. Bernie Bernie Bernie Bernie Bernie Bernie Bernie Slaven. :D

I was at this game with my 11 year old lad , can remember 3 young Wigan fans same age as my boy walking down the street happy even though they just been well beaten and I was thinking what a shame for them they will never have a ground as good as ours and never have away following like ours, the rest is history

I remember it too - the only time I've been to Old Trafford and saw the Vale win :)

Thought we would never beat this pesky non-league side who fought like tigers the whole way. After a 1-1 draw at Springfield park, it went into extra time at the Vale where we needed a Roy Sproson header right in front of the Hamil End to get us a draw. Only a John James special in the second replay saw us through.

I remember going Springfield Park early in the season one year and the heavens opened before kick off......pitch flooded and the game was postponed! Remember Andy Jones, I think, coming towards us in just his trunks, socks and boots and doing a massive swallow dive into this lake....much to our amusement. Drove back down M6 with Jonno in bright sunshine completely bamboozled as to what had just happened! Couldn't go re arranged game using our ticket that was re issued because its as mid week and couldn't get there.

Didn't do us much good though as went out to Tranmere the next round, which also went to a replay at their place.

Looking forward to the game week Satdee, I'm sure they will bring quite a few so it should be a cracking atmosphere.

Dunno what happened to the last post! I remember going Springfield Park early on one season...got in the ground and the heavens opened....pitch flooded...game postponed. I think it was Andy Jones who came out in trunks, boots and socks and swallow dived into the "lake" in front of us...much to our amusement! Drove back down M6 in bright sunshine wondering what had just happened. They re issued tickets but I couldn't make re arranged game cos it was midweek.

I was in Mallorca with a mate and we planned the whole day around waiting for the football scores.

This was in a time when there was no British TV available abroad, no Sky TV, no internet, nowt.

We got to a bar at kickoff time and they had a radio with really crackly, intermittent reception.

For some reason, no mention of the Wigan v Vale match was made at half-time, which puzzled me.

We waited all afternoon without word of the Vale and James Alexander Gordon slowly read out ther results.

After what seemed like an eternity, he said in that famous voice "Wigan Athletic versus Port Vale - match postponed".

No reason given - so I had to ring home and find out what the reason was!

We carried on drinking, my mate celebrating a Villa win and me celebrating an unbeaten start to the season (it was our first fixture!).

Can anyone remember 13/04/1979' date=' Wigan away at their old place Springfield park, i was there albeit vague now in my mind, i am sure Vale were 3-0 up as i remember and lost 5-3, most goals scored for Wigan late in the second half !![/quote']

Was at the game. You're right we were 3-0 up with 20 mins to go. Wigan ended up winning 5-3, with a hat trick from Derek Brownbill, a former vale player (signed from Liverpool, if I recall). Needless to say he wasn't that good when he played for the Vale. The headline in Saturday's sentinel was " Vale snatch defeat from jaws of victory" which I thought was pretty good. Remember we played on good Friday and the following day we played Barnsley at home and beat them 3-2, when Alan Clark was manager. On Easter Monday we played Huddersfield away and lost 3-2, Mark Chamberlain scored one of the goals for us that day and I remember thinking what a great player he looked. 3 matches in four days, with a total of18 goals. Not bad going in terms of entertainment!

Archived