onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Wigan games in the Past, was Home Saturday 12th September

For Us All

Advert

Can anyone remember 13/04/1979' date=' Wigan away at their old place Springfield park, i was there albeit vague now in my mind, i am sure Vale were 3-0 up as i remember and lost 5-3, most goals scored for Wigan late in the second half !![/quote']

I remember it well,Easter.I also remember winning 1-0 at Old Trafford against Wigan,FA Cup second replay,about 1970.Wigan were non league at the time.

The 0-1 win was around 10-12 years ago I think! I'm pretty sure it was one of the last times we played them, only remember as we had lost the opening 4 games 4-1, 3-1, 2-1, 1-0, and think they were top and we beat them. We lost at home to them though I think, may have been another 0-1.

Can anyone remember 13/04/1979' date=' Wigan away at their old place Springfield park, i was there albeit vague now in my mind, i am sure Vale were 3-0 up as i remember and lost 5-3, most goals scored for Wigan late in the second half !![/quote']

We were at that game - it was Good Friday. We were three up with about 20 minutes to go.

The 0-1 win was around 10-12 years ago I think! I'm pretty sure it was one of the last times we played them, only remember as we had lost the opening 4 games 4-1, 3-1, 2-1, 1-0, and think they were top and we beat them. We lost at home to them though I think, may have been another 0-1.

Yeah I think McPhee scored and had a blinder and they were trying to sign him after that but he turned them down.

I remember it well,Easter.I also remember winning 1-0 at Old Trafford against Wigan,FA Cup second replay,about 1970.Wigan were non league at the time.

I remember it too - the only time I've been to Old Trafford and saw the Vale win :)

Thought we would never beat this pesky non-league side who fought like tigers the whole way. After a 1-1 draw at Springfield park, it went into extra time at the Vale where we needed a Roy Sproson header right in front of the Hamil End to get us a draw. Only a John James special in the second replay saw us through.

Didn't do us much good though as went out to Tranmere the next round, which also went to a replay at their place.

Looking forward to the game week Satdee, I'm sure they will bring quite a few so it should be a cracking atmosphere.

I remember it too - the only time I've been to Old Trafford and saw the Vale win :)

Thought we would never beat this pesky non-league side who fought like tigers the whole way. After a 1-1 draw at Springfield park, it went into extra time at the Vale where we needed a Roy Sproson header right in front of the Hamil End to get us a draw. Only a John James special in the second replay saw us through.

Didn't do us much good though as went out to Tranmere the next round, which also went to a replay at their place.

Looking forward to the game week Satdee, I'm sure they will bring quite a few so it should be a cracking atmosphere.

Yes, me too, we are all showing our age. The Vale were unbeaten in the league and Wigan were the best non-league side, so the game was featured on live radio - so what, some may think, but only one match was on live radio each Saturday then.

I went to the replay, extra time and struggled back to London and spent half the night on Euston station then went directly to work in the city rather than try to get home 15 miles out in the suburbs.

Same happened at the 2nd replay, as an over-enthusiastic teenager I wasn't going to miss a chance to see Vale play at Old Trafford, but it was a rough night with the ugliest hard nuts that supported United coming to the game to get at Vale fans, they took Wigan to their heart.

Same again, back on a late late train and no way to get home from Euston, so straight to work - would probably finish me off now, but all part of the rich Vale experience at the time.

The games tired Vale out a bit and the unbeaten league record went against Scunthorpe soon after but we still got promoted - that was a great team for hard work and true grit even if it wasn't the most skilful, Gordon Lee was the manager and it was a good season, especially the 2 games against Wrexham. I think the away game got 19000 as a crowd and there was no end of trouble - but that's another story.

I remember the frighing 5-3 as well, was living up here by then, and Wigan just a short hop. What a disaster - 65 minutes or more gone and then 5 goals conceded after showing no sign of any problem. I prefer to remember the 4-0 win about 1993 when Bernie Slaven ran them ragged, but I do miss Springfield Park, a truly English ground with bags of character.

Archived