onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Bury Away - Saturday 19 September

Advert

Don't think this has been publicised because it surprised me when I phoned up for tickets but there is a deal on for some sort of family ticket. I got two adult tickets and one junior for £40. Not sure of the stipulations because I couldn't give my card details quick enough!

Maybe Coventry fans behave themselves?

What happened on our most recent trips to Bury?:unsure:

I went Bury first game of the season few years ago in League Two, we won that day 1-0, was it Lee Collins who scored, think it might have been? We took 2,000 fans there that day,

Also went Bury when we were getting momentum going in Adams reign, coming upto Easter time a few years ago and we were just on the outskirts of the play-offs at the time if I recall? We drew that game 1-1, pretty sure Efe Sodje was playing for Bury at the time and the Vale fans gave him loads of grief. Took 2,000+ odd fans that day aswell.

However on the first occasion when we won 1-0, we were in the bigger stand behind the goal, whereas last time around when we drew 1-1, they put us in the slightly smaller, more modern stand behind the goal which curves round.

Pre-party will be somewhere in Manchester City centre before the game, loads of my mates getting the train up. May well be Sincairs Oyster Bar, the outside area which was rammed with Vale fans for Rochdale away during our promotion season.:yes::D

Usual tram info in case anyone needs it again.

Bury trams do run from Piccadilly according to the website (there have been so many changes due to never-ending engineering works) so if you bear right out when you get off the platform at Piccadilly Station and go down the stairs you will get to the tram stop.

Alternatively, if you're breaking the journey up with some city centre boozing, you can get on the tram at Piccadilly Gardens, Market Street (between the big Primark and the big Debenhams), Shudehill or Victoria Station, which will be the most handy station from Sinclair's.

I don't recommend heading out of the City Centre because of the St Peters Square closure, there is stretch of single track which trams take turns to go through using a signalling token and you could be sat there for ages.

As for tickets, Metrolink website says £4.30 off peak return to Bury, if the inspectors are out and you get caught, you will be fined. Ticket machines on the station platforms take cards. Get a ticket because it really isn't worth the hassle off the grey-coated stasi if you don't.

All trams coming back from Bury go through the city centre, but if you jump on one that's going to East Didsbury then you'll need to get off at Market Street at the latest.

The only time I can remember going to Bury was for the 1999 staying up party. I think that Bury needed to win by 11 clear goals in order to switch places and relegate us. On the day they had to settle for 1-0 against 10 men. I also seem to recall reading that it was the only time that the "goals for" rule played any part in deciding promotion/relegation. Bury's goal difference was somewhat better than ours. Could be wrong on that one though.

Pretty much spot on. I think they flirted with goals for instead of goal difference for about 2 or 3 seasons at the end of the 90s, claiming it would promote more attacking football, but I couldn't know how many issues were affected because of it during that time.

Archived