Sign in to follow this  
Shropshire_Valiant

Cilla Black RIP

She was that rarest of creatures, a Scouse Tory.

I feel sorry for her dying, especially at a relatively young age, but I can't understand how anyone was entertained by her. Nauseous Scouse git to me but that just means I'm Alf Garnett!

Still, each to their own so RIP Cilla.

She was that rarest of creatures, a Scouse Tory.

I feel sorry for her dying, especially at a relatively young age, but I can't understand how anyone was entertained by her. Nauseous Scouse git to me but that just means I'm Alf Garnett!

Still, each to their own so RIP Cilla.

How old are you? To a teenager lad in the early days of her career, she was very attractive.

How old are you? To a teenager lad in the early days of her career, she was very attractive.

I'm obviously not quite as old as you but 'attractive' - as I said, each to their own. Just not my cup of tea but that's probably coloured by my dislike of her working class Tory politics although I'm genuinely sad at her passing.

I'm obviously not quite as old as you but 'attractive' - as I said, each to their own. Just not my cup of tea but that's probably coloured by my dislike of her working class Tory politics although I'm genuinely sad at her passing.

In this instance the old saying, if you cant say anything nice, say nothing at all springs to mind....

Thoughts go out to her family and friends at this sad time.

It must be very sad for her family and loved ones...and many of her fans too. And no age really. Always a little saddening when a mother and grandmother passes away (I believe she had grandchildren?)

Really sad news. I had the pleasure/honour of meeting her when I was a kid and she was just as nice and warm on screen as she was off it.

RIP.

Saw her in Blackpool in the early sixties.Great time for female vocalists,Cilla,Dusty,Sandy Shaw ,Lulu etc.RIP Cilla.

Whether you liked her music or programmes she presented or not Cilla was a big part of at least 2 if not 3 generations of people with her career. I don't remember her singing career in the 60s as I'm too young but my parents do and hence I heard tapes and records of her as I was growing up.

My own memories are of watching Blind Date and Surprise Surprise in the 90s(of which reading my facebook yesterday quite a lot of people around my age(lates 20 early 30s) have the same memories. Blind Date especially was the staple diet when we used to go back to my Nan's after Vale games for tea in the 90s and watch Saturday night tele before driving home. My Nan especially barely missed an episode!!

I know she too would have been very sad at yesterday’s news also(although she is no longer with us) as she always used to recite about when Cilla was shown around Beswicks where my Nan worked as I think Cilla was on at Jollies that evening? She stopped and chatted to a lot of the workers, when they came to do a toast for the photo and present Cilla with a Beswick figure they realised they didn’t have anything alcoholic so they used cold tea out of someone’s flask which looked a bit like Whiskey!:laugh:

And as much Blind Date was probably a load of old crap to some(even myself at times) I have fond memories of those evenings with the family of which in a way Cilla was part of.

I quite enjoyed the Cilla drama that was on TV last year, although I knew her songs I didn’t realise the story of early life/career.

Ta ra Cilla RIP

Being born in the mid-fifties, Cilla was part of my childhood, along with the Beatles and all the other great pop groups that came from Liverpool and other places in the UK in that wonderfully entertaining decade. I feel lucky to have grown up knowing all those singers and all those bands.

Her later TV work didn't particularly interest me but you have got to admire her for her longevity and ability to connect with so many different generations. She seems to have been a genuinely nice person, whose wealth and fame didn't completely ruin her.