Home Forum News History Predictions About Contact
Sign in to follow this  
bertiepee

Groundsman

Was having discussion with mate , can only remember 3 head groundsmen since late 60s, Dennis Dawson, think it was Bob Fairbanks followed by speed, thats just 3 in going on 50years, have I missed anyone

If you see a copy of Dennis Dawson's autobiography/ story of his time at the Vale, Grass Roots, it's a smashing read.

My favourite of all the vale books I have, I wish Mr speed would write one, he must have some good stories

Yes. I think Len defected to Stoke!!

Yes he did, he had a real chip on his shoulder, always criticising Dennis Dawsons work at Vale park, when it was nothing to do with him, he couldn't keep the stoke pitch in good nick, he had to hire sheep out, from a local farmer to keep the grass short.

Yes he did, he had a real chip on his shoulder, always criticising Dennis Dawsons work at Vale park, when it was nothing to do with him, he couldn't keep the stoke pitch in good nick, he had to hire sheep out, from a local farmer to keep the grass short.

wasn't it billy bell to keep the grass down behind the railway paddock but one night they got loose and where found on the pitch the next morning.

Yes it was I can remember that qouite well, but Len Parton had sheep on the Victoria ground qouite often, probably because he didn,t know how to opperate a mowing machine.