onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Premiership 15/16 season

TylerB

Chelsea are horrible to watch, Hazard apart. Typical efficient Mourinho team really. But I do wonder if they'll regret not strengthening this season and shaking things up a little. For me they're a world-class forward short. Costa is effective but you wouldn't put him in the same category as a number of other forwards at the very top clubs. He's also more than likely to miss chunks of the season too through suspensions and injuries.

Arsenal need to have a bit more luck on the injury front than they have in general but there's no reason why they can't challenge with the squad they have. A signing like Benzema, who would thrive over here I believe, would elevate them even further.

Advert

I still think Liverpool can go on to have a very decent season and perhaps even challenge for that 4th place spot if they get off to a good start. I think Rodgers signings over the summer have been positive and sensible, although I'd still like to see another top centre-back brought in before the window closes next month. I think Chelsea are Arsenal will be the top 2, and after that can be anyone's.

First 11 -

Mignolet

Clyne

Skrtel

Lovren

Gomez (very impressed with him pre-season)

Henderson

Milner

Coutinho

Firmino

Sturridge

Benteke

Second 11 -

Bogdan

Flanagan

Sakho

Ilori

Moreno

Lucas

Can

Allen

Lallana

Ibe

Ings

Liverpool will struggle to make the top 4 with that goalkeeper and 2 centre halves. Other than that, they could probably challenge the likes of City and possibly United and Arsenal.

Much will depend on Lovren. People seem quick to forget that he was excellent for Southampton, winning their player of the year award ahead of the likes of Schneiderlin and Lallana. He came to a new club and struggled to integrate into a side that were quite simply awful for the first few months of the season. There can be no arguments that Clyne is a terrific addition as he'll be England's right-back for years to come.

Mignolet gets stick but he was actually Liverpool's most consistent player over the 2nd half of last season. He's neither world-class or poor. He does need to eradicate the errors in his game though if he wants to be considered as anything other than just a good shot-stopper.

Much will depend on Lovren. People seem quick to forget that he was excellent for Southampton, winning their player of the year award ahead of the likes of Schneiderlin and Lallana. He came to a new club and struggled to integrate into a side that were quite simply awful for the first few months of the season. There can be no arguments that Clyne is a terrific addition as he'll be England's right-back for years to come.

Mignolet gets stick but he was actually Liverpool's most consistent player over the 2nd half of last season. He's neither world-class or poor. He does need to eradicate the errors in his game though if he wants to be considered as anything other than just a good shot-stopper.

If you're depending on Lovren,Beechyla ,then you will be bottom half.Clyne is decent ,so is Benteke but they are not top drawer.Skrtel and Lovren are the worst central defence pair Liverpool have had since the 1950s.Sakho is crap.Brendan's in the last chance saloon and the swinging doors are opening.5th would be a result for Liverpool.

All that may be true, but all it proves is that they are reasonable mid-table players. Liverpool's name alone should be attracting better quality than Lovren, Skrtel, Sakho and Mignolet.

Benteke is a good signing. That's the level they should be looking at, and to a lesser extent Milner.

Skrtel is one of the better centre-backs in the league, which is exactly why City have been keen to sign him in the past. At times he's suffered through not having a regular partner. Sakho doesn't fit in to how Rodgers wants his side to play from the back but he's one of the first names on the French national sides team-sheet. Play to his strengths and he's a good defender.

Out of all the signings I think that Clyne will prove to be the best in regards to value for money. He was superb for Southampton last season and should only get better and better. Benteke was pricey but as long as he scores 20+ goals for Liverpool he's worth the money paid.

City were reported by some papers as interested when Skrtel was at his peak..which was very much in the past..2-3 years ago

Sakho can't get into the French team in past 12 months or so..not sure if that's due to injury or cr@pness or both

Clyne may well turn out to be a very good signing but at the price he should be a certainty not potential

Benteke will give Liverpool something they have lacked for a long time..if they get the ball into him quickly enough. At Villa he went thru a real lean spell when they just weren't getting the ball into the penalty area quickly enough for him and were too busy passing it around...or trying to anyways

I want to see Liverpool do well but sadly I don't think they have enough quality and will actually slip backwards this season

Skrtel is one of the better centre-backs in the league, which is exactly why City have been keen to sign him in the past. At times he's suffered through not having a regular partner. Sakho doesn't fit in to how Rodgers wants his side to play from the back but he's one of the first names on the French national sides team-sheet. Play to his strengths and he's a good defender.

Out of all the signings I think that Clyne will prove to be the best in regards to value for money. He was superb for Southampton last season and should only get better and better. Benteke was pricey but as long as he scores 20+ goals for Liverpool he's worth the money paid.

Sorry but skrtel, lovren and especially sakho are below average at best.

Skrtel used to be good, past his best now.

Skrtel was awful last season. For this reason and the fact the other ones they've signed have performed below expectations they will struggle. Liverpool won't win the title with Skrtel in the team. They almost did the other year, but their goals conceded let them. I'll let everyone else work out who was the mainstay in that defence.

I'm not entirely sold on Mignolet, but the back 4 / 5 that he's had in front of him the last 2 seasons would put even the most solid keepers at an extremely nervous disposition. I don't think he has any confidence in the people in front of him to help him out. They usually end up hindering him, he tries to avoid all this and ends up making mistakes.

Rodgers has improved the forward line. Whilst Sterling looks like he had potential I don't really think he did it on a consistent basis and he'll struggle to get his head through the door most weeks at the Etihad. I've not heard much of Firminho but I saw that he created more goalscoring chances in the German League than any other player since joining Hoffenheim. Impressive given there's a Guardiola team in the league, but creating chances wasn't been the problem going forward for Liverpool last year. Actually finishing them was, and bringing Benteke in and getting Sturridge fit is a good way of solving that problem.

I'll admit I'm a bit of a Liverpool sympathiser at this point. I used to go as a kid until getting tickets became nigh on impossible and I fell in love with Vale. I still go occasionally (Went to Man City away and Madrid at home last season) when the opportunity arises so it saddens me to see the drop in form last year from the previous season. I'm yet to be convinced Rodgers is the right man for the job. His purchasing of players has often baffled me in the extreme. Last summer seemed to be the fruits of not much scouting and panic buying when Suarez left. Liverpool haven't got much left out of that summer that's worthwhile. His constant use of Allen in midfield is a source of frustration. The lad just isn't a top level player and never will be. And as stated previously his belief in Skrtel and A-N-OTHER defender as the bedrock of his defence just isn't for me.

Heart says the backroom staff changes and signing of Benteke will lead to a lot better season and a Champions League finish. Head says they'll have sacked Rodgers by Xmas for yet another summer where Liverpool fail to take the step forward.

Many people have realised fonte was the reason lovren looked good.

Skrtel was awful last season. For this reason and the fact the other ones they've signed have performed below expectations they will struggle. Liverpool won't win the title with Skrtel in the team. They almost did the other year, but their goals conceded let them. I'll let everyone else work out who was the mainstay in that defence.

I'm not entirely sold on Mignolet, but the back 4 / 5 that he's had in front of him the last 2 seasons would put even the most solid keepers at an extremely nervous disposition. I don't think he has any confidence in the people in front of him to help him out. They usually end up hindering him, he tries to avoid all this and ends up making mistakes.

Rodgers has improved the forward line. Whilst Sterling looks like he had potential I don't really think he did it on a consistent basis and he'll struggle to get his head through the door most weeks at the Etihad. I've not heard much of Firminho but I saw that he created more goalscoring chances in the German League than any other player since joining Hoffenheim. Impressive given there's a Guardiola team in the league, but creating chances wasn't been the problem going forward for Liverpool last year. Actually finishing them was, and bringing Benteke in and getting Sturridge fit is a good way of solving that problem.

I'll admit I'm a bit of a Liverpool sympathiser at this point. I used to go as a kid until getting tickets became nigh on impossible and I fell in love with Vale. I still go occasionally (Went to Man City away and Madrid at home last season) when the opportunity arises so it saddens me to see the drop in form last year from the previous season. I'm yet to be convinced Rodgers is the right man for the job. His purchasing of players has often baffled me in the extreme. Last summer seemed to be the fruits of not much scouting and panic buying when Suarez left. Liverpool haven't got much left out of that summer that's worthwhile. His constant use of Allen in midfield is a source of frustration. The lad just isn't a top level player and never will be. And as stated previously his belief in Skrtel and A-N-OTHER defender as the bedrock of his defence just isn't for me.

Heart says the backroom staff changes and signing of Benteke will lead to a lot better season and a Champions League finish. Head says they'll have sacked Rodgers by Xmas for yet another summer where Liverpool fail to take the step forward.

My friends including season ticket holders consider the problems to be at the striking end of the team. Defensive issues arise when the team is not scoring and chasing games. They argue Min in goal was actually very good after he got dropped. I don't feel he is the real deal at top level but we will see. Suarez is in the top half dozen players in the world and also by a distance a top scorer. Not easily replaced although they made some gross mistakes last year trying to replace him.

Archived