onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

James McClean

For Us All

Mr h I don't want him to sing if he doesn't want to but he should stand there correctly if a player did that in a World Cup he'd be berated by everyone people talk about the behaviour of fans during national anthems the players should set an example

I'm going off the picture in the Independent link in the original post and I don't think he looks like he's doing anything wrong. If he was pulling his pants down and waggling his twig and berries around or pulling his buttocks apart and exposing his tea towel holder to the crowd, fair enough. But he's not. He declined to turn 90 degrees and (presumably) face a flag and sing some stupid song. He's looking down at his boots with his arms behind his back, exactly like opposing fans should during the other side's national anthem. Fair play to him, IMO. In fact, if there's anyone wrong in this whole affair, it's Pulis.

Advert

As someone posted earlier the guy has done nothing illegal and he shouldn't be made to do anything if he doesn't want to. That also means that people have the right to slate him for what to me looks like a political statement, and he's done it before by refusing to wear a poppy. He's obviously got a problem with England/Britain and wants to show it. I personally think that his behavior is an insult to the country and the supporters that are paying his living. He's living in the past and he's only 22 for crying out loud!...I can only wonder and imagine how cringe worthy it would look if some young English player was, for example, to turn his back on the German national flag and what peoples reaction to that would be

I personally think that his behavior is an insult to the country and the supporters that are paying his living.

Countries don't have feelings, people do, and if you are genuinely upset or insulted by a man not wanting to sing the national anthem - God Save The Queen indeed! - I think you need a bit of a sense of perspective.

Regardless of my feelings about 'this country' and the monarchy, GSTQ is a pretty crappy national anthem, isn't it? It's almost a dirge. Bland. It should be replaced with that Splodgenessabounds song. What was that punk song about going down the pub? That'd be good.

Countries don't have feelings, people do, and if you are genuinely upset or insulted by a man not wanting to sing the national anthem - God Save The Queen indeed! - I think you need a bit of a sense of perspective.

Regardless of my feelings about 'this country' and the monarchy, GSTQ is a pretty crappy national anthem, isn't it? It's almost a dirge. Bland. It should be replaced with that Splodgenessabounds song. What was that punk song about going down the pub? That'd be good.

I don't think anyone has a problem with him not singing our national anthem, Christ most of the thicko's who actually represent England don't / won't / can't sing it.

It's the turning away from the flag, as someone earlier said imagine if an English player did that in a game in Germany or Argentina or at a game in the World Cup in Russia in 2018!

I imagine he has a problem with British troops that murdered his countrymen, not England/ Britain per se.

On the other hand he's supporting the cowards that planted a bomb in Warrington and blew two young kids to bits and the other atrocities that the cowardly IRA perpetrated and when the brave guys said enough is enough they squealed like little pigs all the way home, remember the planned attack in Gibralta. McLean needs to grow up, move on and respect the country that feeds him or bugger off and play for Limerick or similar.

I think the census is if he doesn't like what this country is about go home he is hypocritical living here playing football here letting his children if he has any grow up here but then turn his back on our traditions

You mean our traditions of tolerance and freedom of expression?

He hasn't said that he doesn't like what this country is about.

On the other hand he's supporting the cowards that planted a bomb in Warrington and blew two young kids to bits and the other atrocities that the cowardly IRA perpetrated and when the brave guys said enough is enough they squealed like little pigs all the way home, remember the planned attack in Gibralta. McLean needs to grow up, move on and respect the country that feeds him or bugger off and play for Limerick or similar.

I genuinely don't know the answer to this but how is he supporting them?

I never wear a poppy, I buy at least one to say thank you to the millions who died so I could have the choice to wear one or not.

I dont sing the anthem but I do stand when its played out of respect to my country [England] I also stand when other countries anthems are played out of respect to the people of that country.

I imagine he has a problem with British troops that murdered his countrymen, not England/ Britain per se.

That's strange, I have an issue with the Muslim's radicals who murdered people on the Tunisian beach the other month, but I can't blame all Muslim's for their actions......one rule for one and all.

Spot on.

That's strange, I have an issue with the Muslim's radicals who murdered people on the Tunisian beach the other month, but I can't blame all Muslim's for their actions......one rule for one and all.

Nah, you don't understand. 'Radicals' does not equal 'troops'.

I too fail to understand how not singing the national anthem means he's supporting the acts of terrorism perpetrated by the IRA.

Archived