onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Smurf interview

Fantastic post. Although I am always surprised at the fan base and warm feelings people hold for Bratt when he gets mentioned by usually older fans at the ground. At the Preston game last season I heard an old couple in the Lorne Street say how much they missed him. Nearly choked on my pie!

Some people are sceptical of Smurf.

The marketing for season tickets is poor. Take Stevenage Borough. Log on their website and they have a very basic ticket purchase page, but you can buy a season ticket, no questions asked, online for £200 and it comes in the post! Fuss free.

Advert

In millions of industries CEO's have detailed figures on a weekly/monthly basis and if the budget is running out or run out as in our case flag up their concerns.

That is unless it is is in the public sector then is doesnt matter

Try working in the public sector and find out. You haven't a clue.

In millions of industries CEO's have detailed figures on a weekly/monthly basis and if the budget is running out or run out as in our case flag up their concerns.

That is unless it is is in the public sector then is doesnt matter

Not to change the subject but have you seen how many public sector workers have been made redundant in the past few years? Clearly it does matter

Anyways.....many a football club survives to an extent cos of the financial input of an owner/benefactor rather than having to survive solely on what it can earn commercially.

Not to change the subject but have you seen how many public sector workers have been made redundant in the past few years? Clearly it does matter

Anyways.....many a football club survives to an extent cos of the financial input of an owner/benefactor rather than having to survive solely on what it can earn commercially.

His point is smurf should have a much better handle on the numbers .. The buck stops with him, not page .. It's all good empowering someone (although not if you subsequently criticise in public) but if you strongly feel your man has got it wrong you have to step in and

There are two ways to go about it.

1) As above. Build it (sign the players) and they will come. The Premier League ST loan last season was handled seriously badly. If we signed him first the crowds would have flocked if he was as exciting as promised. Guilt tripping the fans saying he'll be signed if you turn up doesn't work. If there's loads of positive spin and marketing on it, encouragement and exciting statements in the press then possibly but the way it developed was a situation where the fans were held to ransom on a guilt trip, communicated via Twitter.

2) Instead of saying I need x more tickets if you want strikers, push a ST marketing campaign and say the club has exciting targets lined up, help us get them.

The ST forms I posted on page 1 say it all for me. The Colchester one says they want my business, they're going to incentivise me with positive news about the club and vouchers and things, and they're always available if I want to speak to them about buying the product. The lazy Vale one someone made in Microsoft word in two minutes says they're not really bothered, I can take it or leave it, it doesn't really matter to them, now sod off as Ted in the ticket office is going on his lunch break.

No point knocking if no one in

Anyone who thinks you are complaining is clearly crackers. People want communication then they don't want it! Chairmen will never win.

For me it's a marketing ploy for me, whether it works or not we will see but it's good to be kept informed.

Oh and A46, I thought you only played on the M6? :laugh:

Poorly judged marketing campaign if so

I know that I am stating the obvious but we do desperately need to get some firepower in for next season,

Otherwise I am genuinely becoming concerned where the goals are going to come from. :(

We will be in the brown stuff next season if the above is not addressed imo.

My amazement on the whole matter is that Rob Page has spent the budget and left us with nothing up top.

Norman can go on about season tickets all he wants but whatever budget you have you have to produce a balanced squad.

To have a 1.7 million budget, which Norman says is now 1.85 million, and to only have Campion and Kapend as out and out strikers on the books is totally inept by the manager.

But that's the managers responsibility' date=' he's given a budget and uses it how he sees fit, millions of people in all industries do the same and are then held accountable for performance.[/quote']

Do u really think page is that dense that he'd blow his whole budget without signing any forwards ?

I am waiting to see total to see how much l need to invest to cover the budget

Probably being thick here .. But regardless of how many season tix we sell, likelihood is we'll average c£5k , unless we do particularly well, or particularly bad .. Season tix give u more certainty & help with the cash flow but do t ultimately equate to the risk total revenue generated - surely you are budgeting at various sensitised avg crowds & mix of season tix to walk ups ? Given the number of local games fees a certainty crowds will be bigger next year

His point is smurf should have a much better handle on the numbers .. The buck stops with him, not page .. It's all good empowering someone (although not if you subsequently criticise in public) but if you strongly feel your man has got it wrong you have to step in and

I don't disagree

My point was that when it comes to budgets/finance football clubs are not like other businesses so can't be easily compared to them

I don't disagree

My point was that when it comes to budgets/finance football clubs are not like other businesses so can't be easily compared to them

Agree, although I do think it is possible to run a club commercially, successfully & profitably

Archived