onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Smurf interview

We all wanted a clear-out in the summer but the only clear-out has been of the quality players.

Instead we're left with deadwood like Yates, Birchall and Doods and only the suggestion of strikers before August 8th.

Looks like a major communication error between Page and Smurf or total incompetence. Or both.

This is ridiculous, get a grip

Advert

But that's the managers responsibility' date=' he's given a budget and uses it how he sees fit, millions of people in all industries do the same and are then held accountable for performance.[/quote']

In millions of industries CEO's have detailed figures on a weekly/monthly basis and if the budget is running out or run out as in our case flag up their concerns.

That is unless it is is in the public sector then is doesnt matter

I agree with you. He can't do right for doing wrong. He gives people the information they want, then gets hounded for giving them the information because it's not what they want to hear. I don't think Smurf has to give any more depth though. As a fanbase, we must know more about our general budget situation than 95% of the clubs in the country. I'm glad the chairman is so open and honest. Some may not like it but I find it a refreshing change.

I would imagine loan players may be a focus, as they will generally be at a lower cost than signing permanent players. If we can maybe bring in 1 permanent striker, then Innis and one loan striker. I think with the signings we've already made I'd be comfortable with the squad going into pre-season.

Over exaggeration, no body has "Hounded" anybody they have asked quite legitimate questions Smurf put himself up to reply

Majority of us think Inniss plus 2 strikers are needed. Inniss deal looks like it's well down the track and Norman has said he's talking to 2 strikers next week. Doesn't sound like we are far off - we have a small chance that everything will be in place at the beginning of pre-season training. Compare that to the last minute panic buying last year. I've got my season ticket and I'm looking forward to the season starting - we've made some good signings and look to have addressed a lot of the problems from last year. Give the bloke a bit of credit - or even better buy a season ticket !!

I imagine Lines is a decent-ish earner, so selling him to Bristol will free up some funds. And I do hope we get a fee for Lines as he is our player and Bristol want him.

Just a shame we've given the likes of Lloyd & Birchall a contract as they won't start many games. And I'd like to ship McGivern out as he isn't a footballer.

No chance of a fee for Lines, we don't want him and he's on a big wage with us. More likely we'll have to bung him some money to leave and take a lower paid contract at Bristol.

Lloyd won't be on a lot and I'm guessing this is his last chance saloon to make it. My own view is he won't, but I haven't seen him in training or during loan spells.

Over exaggeration, no body has "Hounded" anybody they have asked quite legitimate questions Smurf put himself up to reply

Maybe hounded is a bit strong for this thread, I was speaking more in general terms for anything Smurf says in the media. He quite obviously has people who disagree with his open nature on all things Vale. These are the same people who seem to want to know what's going on in every facet of Vale every day, and don't like the answer they get when Smurf gives an answer.

As you said though, Smurf puts himself up to reply and can look after himself. I just don't see the reason for the persistent negativity about the running of the club, when there has been a lot of good news the past few weeks. I suppose that's what happens when people look for the negatives in everything.

In millions of industries CEO's have detailed figures on a weekly/monthly basis and if the budget is running out or run out as in our case flag up their concerns.

That is unless it is is in the public sector then is doesnt matter

Presumably what has happened isn't it? Smurf's looked at the figures, realised we're over budget and stopped any new players coming in until someone (presumably Lines) heads out.

Maybe hounded is a bit strong for this thread, I was speaking more in general terms for anything Smurf says in the media. He quite obviously has people who disagree with his open nature on all things Vale. These are the same people who seem to want to know what's going on in every facet of Vale every day, and don't like the answer they get when Smurf gives an answer.

As you said though, Smurf puts himself up to reply and can look after himself. I just don't see the reason for the persistent negativity about the running of the club, when there has been a lot of good news the past few weeks. I suppose that's what happens when people look for the negatives in everything.

The problem comes, stupers, when the chairman himself is at the head of that negativity. I think he has done pretty well this summer, overall. I'm happy that we haven't overspent to accommodate the same players who largely failed last year. I think the new signings seem competent enough on paper. I just don't see what is to be gained by putting himself forward as a mouthpiece for the club when he himself admits he isn't very good at it, particularly at such a key time of the year for income.

The problem comes, stupers, when the chairman himself is at the head of that negativity. I think he has done pretty well this summer, overall. I'm happy that we haven't overspent to accommodate the same players who largely failed last year. I think the new signings seem competent enough on paper. I just don't see what is to be gained by putting himself forward as a mouthpiece for the club when he himself admits he isn't very good at it, particularly at such a key time of the year for income.

Fair points, I guess I don't really see what he says most of the time as negative comments. Saying we've got a £1.7m budget for instance on Radio Stoke earlier this summer, I would not see as negative. It's remarkably open to state the figure that we're working to. But then you get some people who are saying that £1.7m is a relegation budget (Unlikely) and complaining the budget isn't the £2.45m it was the previous season and imploring Smurf to put his money in to plug the gap.

I suppose what I'm saying is that it's how you perceive the comments he makes is how people see them. I see what he says as realistic, and therefore I find it positive to hear the truth. I can see how people can see/hear what he says and go on the negative but I really don't agree with them. Especially the constantly negative, I find that pretty boring, people who seem to fail to find the good in anything the club do or say. This summer has had its up and downs. Some people seem to think we're hurtling down a steep slope towards disaster which I really don't think is the case at all.

The problem is if the Chairman talks in riddles than who can blame people for trying to guess what is, or indeed isn't, happening at the Club.

Yet again, it seems, that the ****ing sweetie jar is back but this time it's seasonal strikers on offer.

*** mate give I a rest. You only ever appear to post something negative.

Archived