onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Smurf interview

Advert

I think JJ Hooper would cost a fee

The former Newcastle and Northampton striker signed for Havant and Waterloo last summer on a one year deal and according to their forum is out of contract and a free agent and is expected to find a leage club......not just a goal machine but very strong and holds the ball up well but also very very quick.

If I stood and even moved somewhere in the box for 46 games I reckon I could - aged 56 - score 5 goals a season. So surely finding a couple of players who can multiply that by 3x and 4x can't be that hard. Anyway, I have bought a second season ticket for a relative - which is wasteful of me based on likely attendances, but if we want to be competitive some action is needed.

I was feeling really extravagant and decided to buy the new Valiant Player. But the direct debit payment website is not working properly and so I gave up with that for now.

Any idea what seasoned strikers are available? I hope he doesn't mean Aaron Mclean

I saw this article relating to Scunthorpe and I thought at the time that it could equally apply to Vale.

I am not saying any of those will be the target or should be the target but it shows there are some out there:

http://www.scunthorpetelegraph.co.uk/Released-Cardiff-City-striker-Nicky-Maynard/story-26766990-detail/story.html?

I would like to think we can get 3300 ST holders and for what it's worth I'll be buying four of them on Saturday.

We really need more goals in the side or the good signings so far could be in vain.

As for Norm's position & statement I don't think he could be more fair or clear. Let's hope enough of us back him.

I have supported Smurf all the way through and stil do but ... someone needs a reality check if they think that we can get through the season with the forward line that we have at the moment.

We have done a great job to strengthen the team in the areas that we needed to IMO, but where the hell are all of the goals going to come from? How can he have let Page spend literally ALL of the ****** money and not bring strikers in?

I find the season ticket sales rather poor so I can sadly understand Smurf's position. Barely 3000 season tickets is truly awful. The squad looks quite poor at the moment and we need 3 new strikers, not 2. Part of me feels Smurf should open his wallet for at least 1. That is a conference North strike force at the moment. Each week we are saving money with no Pope etc to pay, so there is no excuse for Smurf to get that Sweetie Jar out otherwise we will be sucking on Apple Sours all season.

Smurthwaite seems to blaming Page because the budget is spent,that in my mind is shocking that is putting pressure on him unnecessarily especially if according to Smurf his job is up for review in september even though he has given him a two year deal paying that up after 20 or so months wont come cheap, surely the manager goes to the owner/directors and say this is who I want and the powers that be say yes or no.

Either he is playing games, or he is basically saying the manager is incompetent. Why would you spend your budget on players like Yates and birchall, along with 14 other midfielders, but no strikers? I thought ads summer spending was like a lucky dip, but this seems even crazier.

https://audioboom.com/boos/3314598-port-vale-owner-norman-smurthwaite-on-bringing-ryan-innis-back-to-the-club

Genuine question Norman, you said if all players signed we would have £400k for 5 or 6 new players. Streete you said would be on top of that out of your own pocket.

We've since lost 4, Pope, Williamson, Marshall and Versali and brought in 4, forget Streete, as don't forget you said he wasn't included in the Budget. So we've brought in what we've lost so how is the budget already spent or did you base the £1.7mil on a figure of 3300 Season Tickets sold.

Didn't Norman guarantee a budget of £1.7m irrespective of ST sales?If the budget has been spent then the new players must be on well more than the 400k that was being set aside.Sounds like Page has done an Adams trick and overspent.

I dont think popes salary was included in the budget, well not his last seasons salary anyway, perhaps the reduced salary he wouldnt accept, but its only a guess.

Page said there would be a clear out, smurf said there would be a clear out, page offered contracts to everyone who needed clearing out and smurf didnt seem too happy... the players who needed shifting have stayed, most of the others left... Im guessing the budget accounted for the reduced salaries and expectation that the dead wood was leaving... but if no one else wants them where would they go?

Its possible that the deals done are against the grain of the said reductions and have pushed up the expected spend therefore the budget has been spent and additional funds have been allocated to cover the overspend... if you are trying to control the budget so strictly why pass the responsibility to someone who you are not best pleased with?

The problem is its all speculation because we dont know the details of each agreement... nor should we... and although I understand [in part] what smurf is saying I wish he hadnt have said it, badgering fans to buy isnt the best way to go [in my opinion] he should have just left it alone, perhaps an update on the ST sales and a reminder of the expire dates of the offers... hey ho

Norman has said that £1.85m has been spent and big Ryan is included in that budget spend.If we don't hit 3300 season tickets we'll need to farm some out and 350k will need to be found for a couple of strikers with salt and pepper on them.I think.

Archived