onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Smurf interview

From the sounds of 03:00 onwards, Norman isn't very happy with Page spending the budget by July on signing the likes of Birchall and Yates

Don't know about anyone else but it's quite clear to me that if Norman wants to sell those ST's he needs to get out and advertise. Bratt was a ******** ***** *** ******* yet still oversaw the T5000 campaign.

We've signed Streete. Inniss looks very likely. Foley looks a great acquisition. Raj Athal needs to be kicking the marketing department into shape and get them churning out promotional material for a season ticket campaign with these players faces on the adverts.

Sentinel. RS. Signal 1. Knot FM. Six towns radio. OVF/PVO/offical site/Sentinel site. Physical signage outside VP as you drive past. That photo on the shop wall of a crowd from the 50's/60's looks brilliant and has a strong impact on the look of VP. Get some advertising up in the same style.

Are we still running the shop in the Potteries centre? Advertise and sell there.

First season back in L1 we had a really nicely designed ST brochure readily available on the website. I was away in Sheffield but still bought one, the signings of Dickinson etc... and the marketing within the ST brochure encouraged me to get one. The one I've seen this season is a plain black text on white background PDF someone made in Microsoft Word in two minutes, posted on here because the link on the OS was obscure. There should be a great big flashy button on the home page.

Build it and they will come only rings true if the customer can see/hear about the product. At the moment, and historically, communication is diabolical.

We are turning things around, Norman has delivered some great players. We've sold a load of boxes already and for probably the first time in the history of the universe we've got the new shirts out on the right side of the Summer. We need to crack on now and address the other aspects of the business that are failing, i.e. comms and marketing. Very basic stuff but they've been neglected by far too long, the legacy of V2001 and cretins like Chris Bedding.

We have a link with Staffs Uni now don't we? They have Business, Business Management, Marketing and Telecommunication degrees. That means placement and grad students in the local area who need a job, and who wouldn't cost a fortune.

I'm not asking for premier league level propaganda being churned out. This stuff is just the very basics. Clubs much smaller than us get this right, why can't we? It's frustrating seeing so much potential go to waste.

After some exams next week I'm free for 3 weeks, I'll knock up the b1oody posters if it helps us get players like Andy Williams in.

I agree that I think NS is saying that RP has to justify his retained list decisions. I think he (RP) must be under no illusions that Vale need to start the season strongly.

I'm with Doha on the need to get the advertising right. I particularly agree on the use of the 1950's style imagery and lettering - it gives an identity.

I am very happy for OVF to join the campaign. When I get a chance I will be pushing the season tickets on the front page and forum until the early bird deadline and re-tweeting all marketing messages from the club. I guess every little helps and if we, the fans, can push it as well, we may just get there.

Advert

I think its fair enough, no reason for him to lie and figures include Innis. What he actually said is if we hit 3,300 he will look to bring in 2 seasonal (seasoned) goal scorers. If not I'm guessing it will be a couple of gambles. He said he's going to be putting in 150 grand of his own money. Signings so far have been good and I feel with a couple of decent strikers we will have a better overall team than last year.

A quick note to say I've added a promo for season tickets across the site.

I also totally agree with Doha's post above about the difference between the Vale and Colchester application forms. Although I must say, I would never want a mascot called "Eddie the Eagle" :wacko:

In terms of the budget, surely we have built a squad with far too many midfield players?

O'Connor, Moore, Foley, Kelly - to start

Grant, Andoh, Lloyd - on the bench

Steele, Reeves, Haughton - development

Daniel, Lines, Birchall - WHY?

Why so many?

Why not offload some to these to pay for much need strikers?

In terms of the budget, surely we have built a squad with far too many midfield players?

O'Connor, Moore, Foley, Kelly - to start

Grant, Andoh, Lloyd - on the bench

Steele, Reeves, Haughton - development

Daniel, Lines, Birchall - WHY?

Why so many?

Why not offload some to these to pay for much need strikers?

Agree. Who have we got up front? Campion - Impact player still developing (yes I know he's not young) Kapend - Developing with hopefully not too much pressure on his shoulders. Who else? Moore potentially but he's not an out and out goalscorer.

The bottom line is it's no good having a good midfield if we don't have a goalscorer, unless you're Spain and can play without an out and out forward. last time I checked, we weren't Spain. So get that chequebook out Mr Smurthwaite.

Agree. Who have we got up front? Campion - Impact player still developing (yes I know he's not young) Kapend - Developing with hopefully not too much pressure on his shoulders. Who else? Moore potentially but he's not an out and out goalscorer.

The bottom line is it's no good having a good midfield if we don't have a goalscorer, unless you're Spain and can play without an out and out forward. last time I checked, we weren't Spain. So get that chequebook out Mr Smurthwaite.

If Ryan Inniss comes in as expected/budgeted, why not then offload either Duffy or McGivern (surely we don't need both warming the bench), offload Lines to Bristol, and offload Daniel.

The wage bill from Duffy/McGivern, Lines and Daniel could surely then fund a decent striker?

Maybe the chairman dosent want to say in an interview we've got loads left to spend and then have agents asking for more money.

That plus the reason Smurf clearly wants to abide by the FL rules - Port Vale wise - that in reaching 3,300 STs will allow him to invest more :)

Archived