onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Choosing a holiday

Trampilot

Thanks KS.Third time to NY, what a place, all in the last 10 years.I hope to go to the fjords,as you say looks fab.;)

Bergen is a nice place, well I enjoyed it anyway, I went there twice. I also went to Tromso which is OK but i preferred Bergen myself. Mind you, that may have been due to the nurse I met in Bergen ;)

Advert

Kangaroo island sounds good but you can get oatcakes in Rhyl so its a close run thing :D

Oooh a holiday in sunny Wales plus bacon chaise and oatcakes for brekky...s0d the Sing/Aus/NZ trip i can get all I need in Rhyl!!! Do they still have the trampolines and tricycles on the seafront...that would be the cherry on the icing on the cake

You don't need to go to Rhyl if you live in Sidmouth.

We've been there a lot over the years - Jacob's ladder, cream teas in Newton Poppleford and the donkey sanctuary included (scouting for the Vale!) It is a lovely seaside resort, but quite peaceful and undiscovered, so don't shout it from the rooftops.

We usually go the South of France. No - not the very swish bits on the Cote D'Azure, but somewhere inland near St Remy or Arles.

Good, cheap wine, nice weather, lovely scenary, plenty of places to visit.

Occasionally we like to try a few European cities and I can recommend places like Berlin, Krakow and Seville, if you like something very slightly off the beaten path.

Don't tend to go much further afield these days but west coast America was good a few years ago.

Oooh a holiday in sunny Wales plus bacon chaise and oatcakes for brekky...s0d the Sing/Aus/NZ trip i can get all I need in Rhyl!!! Do they still have the trampolines and tricycles on the seafront...that would be the cherry on the icing on the cake

Do I detect a trace of sarcasm :D

Did a Baltic cruise a few years back and it was fantastic. Our last port of call before getting on the boat at Harwich was Brentwood where we stayed overnight...avoid at all costs!!!!

Cruising is my fave hol KS.Me and the bride have done loads.The Baltic,St.Petersburg was brill,Carribean x2,Greek Islands,Mediterranean,Canaries,Hawaiian Islands,South America and Antarctica,and my very biggest favourite Alaska.The Norwegian fjords is one I'd love to go.Looking to go from Southampton but would you recommend Harwich.?

Cruising is one of our favorites, Celebrity and Princess are our preferred cruise lines but not been on the real high end boats. Best value for money holiday in the USA. Planning two weeks out of Fort Lauderdale at end Nov/beginning Dec.

Cruising is my fave hol KS.Me and the bride have done loads.The Baltic,St.Petersburg was brill,Carribean x2,Greek Islands,Mediterranean,Canaries,Hawaiian Islands,South America and Antarctica,and my very biggest favourite Alaska.The Norwegian fjords is one I'd love to go.Looking to go from Southampton but would you recommend Harwich.?

Yep we did Baltic, St Petersbusg, Talin, Copenhagen etc with Celebrity Cruises. to be honest i'd not be interested in one where the weather is warm/hot..must be my viking ancestry..twas great sitting on our balcony as we left St Petersburg and it was snowing!!!

There was nothing to recommend Harwich other than the large Morrisons there :) But i've not sailed from anywhere else so nothing to compare it with

You don't need to go to Rhyl if you live in Sidmouth.

Sometimes one craves a bit of downmarket seaside hospitality amongst the riff raff ;)

We've been there a lot over the years - Jacob's ladder, cream teas in Newton Poppleford and the donkey sanctuary included (scouting for the Vale!) It is a lovely seaside resort, but quite peaceful and undiscovered, so don't shout it from the rooftops.

Used to live slap bang in the centre of town overlooking the churchyard opposite Haymans the butchers..now live a couplle of miles out near the Bowd Inn (in case you know of it).

It's a dump really....don't come here ;)

Best holiday ever was driving Route 66 coast to coast west to east over a 3 week period....absolutely utterly amazing. Fantastic scenery, so many iconic places, lovely people, great food, cheap as chips, amazing weather, fantastic car, singing songs with cowboys round the campfire (my wife asking Casey, the main man, if he knew anything by Queen--he didn't), helicopter ride over the Grand Canyon, Vegas, Yosemite, Hoover Dam, SF, Chicago, Dolly Parton's Dixie Stampede, St Louis, baseball, getting drunk in the only drinking hole in what turned out to be a Mormon town..I could go on..and probably have done

We were considering moving to Devon but whether it will come to fruition or not I'm unsure.

Sidmouth is very expensive though and if we moved there we'd have to go to the food banks (if you've got any!)

Relatives of mine lived near Bideford for many years. That's a bit cheaper but colder.

Great beaches though at Westwood Ho! Woolacombe and Croyde if you have children.

We also like Dartmouth but that's a bit pricey too. The regatta is great (end of August I think) as is the steam train from Paignton to Kingswear.

A trip up the Dart to visit Agatha Christie's house or Totnes is also lovely in the summer.

It's a great part of the world but I don't know if I could stand being surrounded by the blue rinse brigade ;)

I went to Montenegro a few years back to Budva when England played them (Rooney red card game). Absolutely beautiful and would highly recommend it. Cheap as well and there are some fantastic parts like Kotor when you can grab some culture. A week there in the summer would be excellent.

Due to doing a few England trips I consider myself reasonably well travelled. South Africa was a particular highlight, I was expecting guns and violence all over but it's not like that at all. Other highlights were a great train trip through Austria, Slovenia and Croatia. Lake Bled in Slovenia looks stunning. I would like to arrange a trip out there in the next few years. I went to Qatar as well for the Brazil friendly a few years back, not somewhere I'd recommend but each to their own. Avoid the Ukraine at all costs.

Now I've given up the England games, we've been doing a few trips to America. We did Fly/Train/Drive down from Philadelphia to Key West. Whilst Florida is a bit ropey in places there are some nice places to visit before you get that far, especially Charleston in South Carolina. Key West I was imagining white sandy beaches all the way, not the case really, they are more rocky but still very nice indeed. We managed Nashville and Atlanta last year. Wasn't too sure on Atlanta but Nashville was fantastic, especially if you love Country Music. It's Partytown if you're into it. New York has already been suggested, it is great and you need plenty of time to see it all.

Most of my childhood holidays consisted of Tent holidays to France. I remember them quite fondly. Done very much on the cheap, but with lots of activities and fun. We went 2 years back to the Atlantic coast just south of Royan. Never again, France has gone massively downhill from what I remember and it wasn't starting from a strong base. I think I'd rather have a holiday in the UK one year, save up and go somewhere nice the following year rather than 2 holidays that are average.

Future holiday interests for me are: Italy (Never been), Lake Bled in Slovenia, Canada, the Caribbean, Costa Rica, Portugal, New Zealand and more of the USA.

Lake Bled is beautiful, stupers. I went there when I was Inter railing around Central and Eastern Europe several years ago, so I'm not best placed to offer much advice beyond walking round a bit of it (only thing that was free!) but it is well worth a visit. As are Ljubljana (and Zagreb, surprisingly) which are only a couple of hours away.

We were considering moving to Devon but whether it will come to fruition or not I'm unsure.

Sidmouth is very expensive though and if we moved there we'd have to go to the food banks (if you've got any!)

Housing in Sidmouth isn't cheap although there are I am glad to say many initiatives to build affordable homes. Devon is such a hug county with massive variations what with the South Hams being ridiculously expensive but Plymouth offering much better value. It's not all beaches, cream teas and pasties

It's a great part of the world but I don't know if I could stand being surrounded by the blue rinse brigade ;)

What have you got against my wife and I!!!!! ;)

Archived