onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Vale famed far and wide - well at least to Germany

andy jones

Advert

The following link is to German national news programme comparing the haves and have nots of English football.

Look at 03.15 till 06.00mins

http://www.zdf.de/ZDFmediathek#/beitrag/video/2360038/auslandsjournal-vom-11-März-2015

Not sure how to make ity a link perhaps someone would help.

Very interesting, Shocking that someone gives us interesting footage, including unique pics of the academy playing, and it gets a negative mark.

The german accent doesn't suit Smurf on the dubbing, but I'm sure he won't mind me saying that.

Can't understand every word, but the general impression is that they are sympathetic to the Vale and smaller clubs, especially the last comment.

Slightly tangential but in the 60's/70s Vale had a fan based in the USA named Chet Weir, anyone remember him, know anything about him or how he became a Vale fan.

A few brain cells flickered when you mentioned that, and it took me back to schooldays in 1964 I think, when I remember reading about Chet Weir who 'adopted' Port Vale because the name sounded poetic. I'm sure I still have a cutting of when he visited Vale Park, which at the time I had not yet been to and was very jealous, living far away in 'the smoke' as I did - I had seen Vale away though.

If I remember rightly it was an unfortunately timed visit as Vale were in decline, having had a mighty cup run and beating Birmingham away and holding Liverpool at Anfield and for 119 minutes of the infamous replay in 63/64, but starting 64/65 badly.

Star winger Billy Bingham (future international manager) was injured in an early game, and Vale went down the table at alarming speed and were in the relegation zone and poor Mr Weir saw them at one of their lowest ebbs I think.

It also rings a bell that he formed a mini-Vale supporters group where he lived and was kind enough to send gifts for a local childrens charity I think, but I never heard any more after the 60s so don't know if any trace of Valiant support still exists in that part of the USA.

I will try and dig out the cutting from one of my scrapbooks at the time and post exact details, but it is a nice story of a kind man and his family who did their bit in supporting our club.

More recently, we have had supporters in Scandanavia and has anyone heard anything recently from RussianValeFan who I think came from Rostov and visited Vale about 8 years ago or so (may not be 8, memory plys worse tricks on recent events than old ones !)

Archived