onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

page out now

steauavaliant

Advert

One of the problems I think is that with a few decent results a few weeks ago many on here then expected us to make the play-offs and our demise since has been harder to take. Expectations were falsely raised only to be dashed unceremoniously.

But regular observers of the team know too well that the squad Page inherited was a poor one and nowhere near good enough to challenge at the top end. It's deficient in all three areas. Our defence has been like a sieve for 2 years now. The midfield has been propped up valiantly by a 38 year old and up front we've been toothless.

It doesn't say much, I know, but we've at least improved on Adams who left us with an unbalanced squad and a centre half pairing of Robbo and McGivern or Dicko!

Give Page a bit of credit for trying to sign the likes of Zubar, Inniss, Streete and Collins, and for realising that Yates isn't a long term answer at right back.

He's also shipped out the disinterested Lines and made O'Connor his main man, tried to find a gem in the loan market (Culibaly?) and let's face it has been very unlucky with injuries to Moore and Junior.

There have been a few green shoots among the weeds but it is very hard to turn things around with someone else's squad and staff, mid season, when the budget is spent and most good players are fixed up.

I'm not happy with where we are but if we escape the trap door we will have achieved our objective when Adams left.

I'm not 'Page In' or 'Page Out' currently. I genuinely can't decide whether I think he deserves another year or not to prove himself. Leaning towards him going currently.

If he stays he needs to have word with himself about playing a winning team regardless of our next opponent, drop the existing coaching staff off at the job centre where they belong and be ruthless when it comes to renewing contracts (Adams wasn't and that was his downfall, amongst other things). Has he got that in his locker? Some bold decisions need to be made at the club in the summer and I don't think he's willing to do what it takes. If Willo gets another contract I will despair.

However if we win our last 2 games (unlikely but bear with me) then we'll end up on 57 points, 2 less than we finished last season with when people were overwhelmed with excitement because we'd finished 10th. I expected more at the start of the season, but with the changes that we've made and the questionable squad decisions made by Adams in the summer I don't think that would be too bad.

Regardless of anything, I think he's done a better job than Adams would have done I'm sure of it. We'd have been playing Yeovil for finishing 23rd tomorrow if Adams was still here. Is it good enough to just be better than Adams? I would say no, we need more than that.

I fully agree. It is an interesting one from a ticket sale perspective as to whether page stays for me. Maybe his summer business will persuade some of the people yet to buy.

I've not got a season ticket yet but will almost certainly be getting one before June.

I am not overly excited about a new season unless we have a 75% new back 4 (veselli worth another year) and Williamson cannot be relied on to score or create goals. He's had more than a fair chance and is simply not good enough.

I think a new coaching team is absolutely imperative

Our record hasn't been great - I know that - but I think you do have to recognise and understand how difficult it is for someone to inherit another person's squad and coaches and try and improve results with little or no money.

Adams wasn't a great tactician and didn't like playing carpet football. His game plan was based on big, fit lads playing long ball football, running and hassling for 90 minutes.

Page I think would like to alter the style of football and play more to feet, but he's struggled to do so because he hasn't got the personnel and the time to fully implement his ideas. He's stuck with what he's got. I don't think anyone has given sufficient weight and understanding to how hard his task has been. We were second bottom, remember, not vying for the play-offs with games in hand. Some semblance of balance is required.

Completely agree. Page's approach seems to be that if we've lost the previous game then make 4 or 5 changes, or alternatively, if we've not lost the previous game then go with the same team, as to quote him "Why risk it?"

The coaching staff issue is well documented on here - they offer nothing and the cosy jobs-for-the-[old]-boys b0ll0cks should have been ended completely when Bratt, Jackson and the other V2001 cronies finally f***ed off.

As for the renewing of contracts, I too think that Page hasn't got the backbone to get rid of those that clearly aren't good enough (possibly influenced by financial reasons from Smurthwaite), and I have the horrible feeling that the likes of Yates, Williamson, Birchall and Dodds will still be here next season.

If so, then expect the recent shocking slump to continue into next season, as the squad will be overloaded with players that are either not yet ready (I see that 5 youth teamers have been offered pro contracts) or are blatantly not good enough to be League 1 regulars.

I think that's pretty much my assessment. I expect Page to stay (unfortunately) but the acid test will be: (i) whether he sticks with Glover and Grew; and (ii) whether he ships out the deadwood in the squad that so many have been complaining about. We will know then how true it is that he's been held back by not appointing his own back room staff and his own players. I'm not holding my breath.

Archived