onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Rob Page

cheshirevaliant

He still doesn't fill me with confidence, although he has done well to get Vale up the table this year.

However , L1 is not very good this season, with Bristol City, and maybe Preston, the only outstanding sides.

Give him a 1yr. contract and let's see what happens then.

How can you say its a bad league from over on Houston is beyond me. Is it because vale have done well in it? We're Swindon not a good side? What about MK dons that beat man utd 5-0. Bradford beating Chelsea and all the other premiership sides. Sheffield utd? All the millions that Peterborough have spent?

Advert

His persistence with Williamson is what is putting me off Page. I'd never boo Williamson but he's just an impact sub or played if others and injured/suspended. Yet he seems to be first name on the team sheet after doing nothing every week.

Couldn't agree more, and I'd guess that he, along with Robertson, are the two "worst players" that fairportnick is referring to.

Never in a million years is Williamson good enough to be a regular in a promotion-chasing League 1 team, yet Page has commented on him being "integral to the way he wants to play".

I believe that Page should get another 12 months, but the real crunch time for me will be the couple of weeks after this season ends, when he announces which players he is offering new contracts to. That, along with the futures of Grew and Glover, will indicate just how much of a clue Page has in terms of progressing us.

We can and do all have our preferred player choices but ...

As a previous poster says on Page's form we would be 5th in the league.

If we were 5th in the league Norman wouldn't be having to moan about home attendances and we would be taking more fans to away games than some home attendances (ok that may be a small exaggeration but I think you would agree that the real chance of a return to the Championship would be creating a feel good factor)

I would suggest two and a half years I.e.the end of December 2017.

How can you say its a bad league from over on Houston is beyond me. Is it because vale have done well in it? We're Swindon not a good side? What about MK dons that beat man utd 5-0. Bradford beating Chelsea and all the other premiership sides. Sheffield utd? All the millions that Peterborough have spent?

I didn't say that it's a bad league, I said it's not very good. The cup competitions are different. Bradford beating Chelsea doesn't make them a good league side, nor MK Dons either. As for Houston, well, happily times have changed and there's this thing called the internet that makes everything so much easier to follow these days. Why , I can even listen to the Vale. You'd be amazed at the information one can receive all the way over here in lil 'ol Texas. I despair.

Keep Page as he has done better with an Adams squad than Adams, who was on way more money. Does page have the contracts or reputation to attract good players in the close season however? I doubt Michael Brown for example would have signed for the club without the Adams factor

League 1 is the most diverse league in terms of playing styles. You have good passing teams like Swindon and MK Dons, while also some hoof ball teams like Crawley or Gillingham. Then you have horrible physical sides like Oldham. I'd say it is the hardest league to win

Its clearly a very bad league, other than 3/4 sides. Bristol, Swindon, Preston and Mk Dons are good sides, Bradford as well but other than that its such a weak side, its pretty obvious due to the amount of sides going for that last play off place. This is the weakest league 1 for a while, but that dosent mean page has done a poor job. He has done very well, im personally still not 100% convinced though.

I think a rolling 12 months contract would be fair, both to the Club and the manager. He's done a very good job in all the circumstances, and it will be interesting to see how he can do next season, especially if he can keep some of our better players and bring in a few more.

On the question of him having 'favourites', that's the way football is, and every manager is the same.

I didn't say that it's a bad league, I said it's not very good. The cup competitions are different. Bradford beating Chelsea doesn't make them a good league side, nor MK Dons either. As for Houston, well, happily times have changed and there's this thing called the internet that makes everything so much easier to follow these days. Why , I can even listen to the Vale. You'd be amazed at the information one can receive all the way over here in lil 'ol Texas. I despair.

With you there, Houston.

As regards the quality of L1, I would say it compares badly with the early 1990s, the season we finished 3rd and lost the play off final to WBA, and the following season 93-ish when we got promoted - that Vale side would smash the current lot including Bristol City, MKD, PNE and Swindon. So would the Stoke and Bolton sides from the first of those seasons, and the Stockport, Reading sides from 93.

However, the division in the mid-2000s when we were under Foyle and got relegated was poor, the current league is better.

People should not make the mistake of thinking that because the sides otherthan the current top 4 are roughly the same quality,that the quality is rubbish - even the bottom sides have a few good players.

Archived