onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

What would make you attend the vale?

valiant_593

I have a season ticket and have since 1991/2 and I've renewed for next year but I work office hours and on that basis I can attend almost all games without too much hassle; I do though understand it is not the case for everyone.

What about actor grousing games? We all know which teams are going to bring the biggest away following and they could be, for argument's sake, category A. The likes of Crawley, who will bring about as many fans as it takes to fill a Ford Transit, should be category C. Basically, cover the shortfall on away fans and then some, plus increased refreshment sales etc

Advert

Dear Norman,

Please stop making public comments about who you think should be in the team on Twitter. Your comments about Campion and someone "having a point" about his ability in comparison to Williamson are, imho, unprofessional. If they are your views take it up with your manager and not post it onto the internet.

Also, if you want to engage with the fans then twitter is not the answer. I understand it is a convenient way of gathering their opinions but you can not, again imho, adequately have reasonable conversations with supporters regarding the future of the club within the confines of 140 characters.

Please do not take this as a personal dig.

I am aware this is probably an incorrect thread for this post but I see it as the best way Smurf will see it.

Regards,

Hagrid.

I think that is a fair point and should not share my frustrations with the mass as it is often misquoted in the media

Twitter my daughters idea has it advantages but seems to waken the demon inside of me sometimes

The away gate for Coventry was greater than yesterdays gate ex ST work than one out

Swindon Town,lying 3rd in the league and having an average home gate of 7,889 bring only 653 away fans to Vale Park,we lie in mid-table,have an average home attendance of 5,385 and take over 1,700 to the Ricoh Arena.It just gets me wondering if some supporters have their priorities all wrong or there are other reasons?:unsure:

All but 2 away day games people drawn out of a hat to dine with me or in VP lounge

I've not heard of anybody nothing in the program or on the score board now do you now if you've won also I would say most of the 1700 traveling fans to Coventry went to look at the ground as its the first time vale have played there and yes I did go as I was sitting two rows behind the lady sitting on her hone who you had your photo taken with half way up in the away end and said to out shout the home fans as you where over the far side of the ground in the directors box .

I've not heard of anybody nothing in the program or on the score board now do you now if you've won also I would say most of the 1700 traveling fans to Coventry went to look at the ground as its the first time vale have played there and yes I did go as I was sitting two rows behind the lady sitting on her hone who you had your photo taken with half way up in the away end and said to out shout the home fans as you where over the far side of the ground in the directors box .

After reading the above you may want to invest in a new keyboard, tablet, or smart phone. Whichever you are using, it would appear to be jumbling the words.

Was the lady sitting on her "hone" in need of medical assistance ? On first reading I had visions of a 6ft wooden garden implement with a sharp metal tool at one end. Nearly brought tears to my eyes let alone hers.

I think that is a fair point and should not share my frustrations with the mass as it is often misquoted in the media

Twitter my daughters idea has it advantages but seems to waken the demon inside of me sometimes

My advice, and feel free to ignore it, would be to get rid of twitter.

Ask the Sentinel for a column on a Friday/Saturday morning and maybe have a weekly stint on Radio Stoke now they've got their daily sports programme and use them to get your message across.

I understand it would not be as simple as that but I believe that twitter is not the best way for open communication with the fans.

Vale Park is not fit for purpose, 2 stands the Bycars and Railway are primitive, the facilities are shocking they must cost the club a fortune in lost revenue especially when its cold.

I know its not possible but a purpose built 15k all seater with all the facilities would serve the club much better.

Norman,

Thank you for your honesty and it takes a strong man to admit he has weaknesses.

I am sure that making Port Vale successful is your absolute ambition.

As some have said on here fans need something to excite them and give them belief the club is heading for success. Please don't waste any more time, money or effort on creating good value admission deals during a season as they simply don't work.

In your time here you have made many great value offers on admission prices but I would bet my last pound that not one actually increased revenue?

Once a season is underway ticket deals only work if the club is in the top six or thereabouts as that is what brings fans through the turnstiles.

Far too many people in business only offer 'deals' when the product is not selling well. Norman, if something isn't selling well dropping the price will not see more sold to cover the cost of the discount.

The time to drop prices is when you are successful as at those times people want to come (the Burton game) then once they have been enticed in that is the time you need to be a lucky Chairman and the team turn it on (Burton game). But unfortunately you have not had that luck so far IMHO.

Without doubt if the season had started when Rob took over then your recent £30 offer would have seen a good uptake because we would have been in the top 6.

Again IMHO if you relaunched a season ticket pledge as already suggested on here akin to what V2001 did and did something at the time that they didn't (make a talisman signing) I think you might be pleasantly surprised. There is still time to do this for next season and it's a no lose situation for you because if the numbers are not reached then you revert to the existing offer.

Try 6000 STs at £199 Adult with good child / junior concessions. You would match your current ST income and create a real buzz of positivity.

The privatised railway has seen a massive increase in passengers by offering great value fares whereas the old BR policy of screw the ever decreasing number of passengers was only ever going to lead to a downward spiral.

I humbly suggest you give it a go Norman and if you could announce a signing like Innis on a season long loan at the launch it would be a commercial masterstroke. The potential fan base is there Norman but you have to excite them to weaken them.

May I finally add my personal thanks for not only saving our great club but also for discovering the passion. You can be the leader who will 're-ignite that positivity and passion in the missing thousands.

Swindon Town,lying 3rd in the league and having an average home gate of 7,889 bring only 653 away fans to Vale Park,we lie in mid-table,have an average home attendance of 5,385 and take over 1,700 to the Ricoh Arena.It just gets me wondering if some supporters have their priorities all wrong or there are other reasons?:unsure:
Away support is made up of STs, non-STs, fans who live close to the away ground and do not attend home games, fans who only go to away games for the day out, also taking mates from other clubs. Vale are centrally situated and are thus closer to more grounds than a club like Plymouth or Carlisle, cant think of any way of changing things. Why should we? The team seems to enjoy the away support based on recent results, keep it going at Bramhall Lane on Saturday.

A better comparison is how many we took to Swindon - it wasn't many, I was 1 of them ! They are not seen by us as a big club, they may be up there in the league, but they're just not appealing to the general fan.

Many went to Coventry as they are seen as a big club historically and its not too far with a relatively new ground.

Our gates are affected over the past seasons from the loss of the appealing fixtures of Shrewsbury, Burton, Wolves and even Rotherham to an extent as we had a bit of needle with them over the several past seasons which made the game more tasty. Stick those teams instead of Doncaster, Yeovil, Scunthorpe, Crawley .....and there would be an extra 7 or 8 thousand combined at a guess, probably more.

Away support is made up of STs, non-STs, fans who live close to the away ground and do not attend home games, fans who only go to away games for the day out, also taking mates from other clubs. Vale are centrally situated and are thus closer to more grounds than a club like Plymouth or Carlisle, cant think of any way of changing things. Why should we? The team seems to enjoy the away support based on recent results, keep it going at Bramhall Lane on Saturday.

I appreciate that,but if we were in 3rd place and favourites to go up wouldn't we take more than 653 to Swindon?I can understand the novelty for Vale fans of going to Coventry but not the apathy of the Swindon fans to travel to Vale Park when they have a far bigger fan base than us?

Having a job in Stoke or around the area would help. I grew up there but after uni could never get a job near enough. I only go to home games when visiting family and speaking to many fans at away South East games seems I am not alone. It is not the most significant factor but the lack of jobs for younger people in the area is a problem.

Archived