onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Tom Pope

PortVale4Life

Its not one bad game though, its 4/5, nearly every match since coming back from injury.

I still dont think he has proven he is a goalscorer at league 1 level.

Ive noticed whenever Pope loses out to a defender, it is always that he was assaulted all game, I dont think that was the case, personally I thought Pope was very off colour again, and handled very easily by the oldham defence. I agree, on paper we have nobody better, but we can try a different option, we wont go up, or down so its time to look at a different option IMO.

Post of the day.

Advert

OS, surely you have to admit that Tom's recent performances have been way below what we expect from him? I believe his head has gone and he's "not at all there" during matches. Can't argue with his record for us but players need to be judged on performance now not past glories and expectations that they can revive that period.

Vale's one- dimentional, lethargic, predictable pattern of play is geared up to lumping the ball forward to anywhere near where Tom might be. If Tom is not winning balls in the air, or turning defenders, or is simply out of form then we must look at differing our play, surely? Teams are wise to what we have been doing for years now and Vale are so easy to defend against.

I will not knock Tom, but time has come for us to realise that Norman has made his stance and quite frankly he's dead right in asking Tom to drop his wage demands as we as a Club need to sustain itself in the League whilst being sensible with the budget. It is common fact that you are Tom's biggest campaigner but if Vale have to set limits with pay then so be it and we'll have to find treasures to assist our progress. Some, and I believe this to be an ever growing number, would argue now that without Tom Vale will still survive and maybe, just maybe revert to a more footballing attitude and change in style. Perhaps it's time anyway for this to come about with Page's anticipated clear out at season's end? Still love your passion for our talisman though so this is not meant as a criticism of your fervour. Trust you can sit yourself down in a darkened room and visualise our great Team without your loved one.

I hear what you are saying One step and at least you offer a good sensible debate. I welcome change from Pope's c**p or even worse. I do think that Tom also hates the long ball pumped up to him from defence. He is very easy to mark when he has his back to the opposition's goal when all he can hope for is a flick on which Ben Williamson rarely reads. Popey comes to life with decent crosses from the wings but sadly how many good crosses has he been offered of late? In my book he is along with Bradford's Hanson the best header of a ball in L1.

I tried your darkened room routine One Step but after walking into the bed and stubbing my toe all I had was a blooded toenail and still couldn't see a better replacement on our books at the present time.

I will mourn if Tom leaves like I did when we lost other good players like the young Brian Horton and Gareth Ainsworth. These were never replaced and our GREAT team suffered relegation a short while later. I just hope that this doesn't repeat it's self.

If Popey reads these postings and I sincerely hope he doesn't I bet the comments made by so many don't do a lot for his confidence or his loyalties.

When Pope is 100% at his peak and as fit as he can be he looks a real good target man. When he's off the pace I'm sorry but he looks a bit of a cart horse. I have to say the last 4 or 5 games I've seen it's been the latter......

But he's far from back to full fitness at the moment. I'm a huge fan of Popey's but I'm not obsessed and certainly do not consider him beyond criticism like some. He has been poor since returning and he needs to earn a new contract, on current form I don't think Adams would have him at Tranmere.

The "assaulted thing" is ******** too. He's a strong player, if he loses out physically then he isn't trying hard enough.

Cheshirevaliant is right too- I fear the future may be Pope-less if he doesn't start showing some value

I remember reading that Pope and Yates had done a lot of training together before the team met up for pre-season before our promotion year and that they were lean and very fit which showed in Pope's fitness during the season and was the catalyst for him a superb season with a tremendous goals tally which was among the best in Europe as we all know.

There are stories that Pope has returned to his early days of possibly not looking after himself with drinking etc. The rumours might be wrong but it has been obvious that he has not been as lean or as fit as he was pre 2012-13. As has been said many times, you only get out what you put in.

I for one welcome Popes goals but he is not the player he was two years ago and with his recent injury and lay-off that co-incided with good results and attractive flowing football so to say we would miss Pope is nonsense!!

When League clubs lose their main strikers either through injury,suspension or selling on there is always someone else to step up and take the mantle, how many strikers have we lost over the years with people saying ' WHOSE GOING TO SCORE THE GOALS NOW CONSTANTINE , SODJE, BROOKER, MCPHEE,OR RICHARDS HAVE GONE!!!

There will always be someone else...we have a guy who cant even get into the squad who knows where the net is !! I think its time Page maybe gave him a run in the side you will never know unless you throw him in!!!

Its not one bad game though, its 4/5, nearly every match since coming back from injury.

I still dont think he has proven he is a goalscorer at league 1 level.

Ive noticed whenever Pope loses out to a defender, it is always that he was assaulted all game, I dont think that was the case, personally I thought Pope was very off colour again, and handled very easily by the oldham defence. I agree, on paper we have nobody better, but we can try a different option, we wont go up, or down so its time to look at a different option IMO.

Did you miss the blatant push on Pope in the box second half ? It wasnt even near the ball, the linesman surely must have seen it but he was ****** useless. Also every corner when his shirt was above his neck? Pope doesnt usually lose out to a defender unless he is fouled, the problem i have noticed is dire officials in this league. We were fortunate not to have a few bad injuries last night, Byron Moore being one example. That aside, pope had a bad game, maybe we have rushed him back too soon .

I will mourn if Tom leaves like I did when we lost other good players like the young Brian Horton and Gareth Ainsworth. These were never replaced and our GREAT team suffered relegation a short while later. I just hope that this doesn't repeat it's self.

Although to be fair Old Sage, you could turn that around and say we thought the same when Richards left. I remember a certain Andy Jones, who would run rings around Pope. We didn't do too badly in the following years of him departing.

The difference now is we don't have the likes of Bratt and Co in charge. Yes at times Smurf has made some PR gaffs, but I honestly don't think you can knock his passion and I believe he has now got the bug and loves the Club as a fan. A lot of what he says is to get a reaction, and I do get the impression he will back Page to rebuild the Squad, whereas with the previous lot it was bargain basement signings. Of course its always a gamble, but the Club is far bigger than Tom.

Did anyone hear Smurf on Radio Stoke last night before the game? I'm certain I heard him saying there might be a chance of keeping Innis for next Season?? So he seems keen to recruit well, but not to fussed about Pope leaving. Not only that but other bits and bobs over the last few months where reading between the lines, I just get the impression Norman just doesn't think Pope is performing well enough.

Did you miss the blatant push on Pope in the box second half ? It wasnt even near the ball, the linesman surely must have seen it but he was ****** useless. Also every corner when his shirt was above his neck? Pope doesnt usually lose out to a defender unless he is fouled, the problem i have noticed is dire officials in this league. We were fortunate not to have a few bad injuries last night, Byron Moore being one example. That aside, pope had a bad game, maybe we have rushed him back too soon .

I do agree, there were pushes and the liner/ref was dire, but even when this occurs, Pope usually wins his fair share of headers, last night he seemed really off the pace, almost as if he wasnt fit. I agree, I think we rushed him back to soon.

I for one welcome Popes goals but he is not the player he was two years ago and with his recent injury and lay-off that co-incided with good results and attractive flowing football so to say we would miss Pope is nonsense!!

When League clubs lose their main strikers either through injury,suspension or selling on there is always someone else to step up and take the mantle, how many strikers have we lost over the years with people saying ' WHOSE GOING TO SCORE THE GOALS NOW CONSTANTINE , SODJE, BROOKER, MCPHEE,OR RICHARDS HAVE GONE!!!

There will always be someone else...we have a guy who cant even get into the squad who knows where the net is !! I think its time Page maybe gave him a run in the side you will never know unless you throw him in!!!

Exactly, I keep posting a post similar to this, we have replaced our better strikers as you have proven there. If we lose Pope we will get someone else in, failing that someone will pop up from the squad and perform as you say

I agree he had a poor performance but he shouldn't be dropped - because really, who else do we have. Williamson?

Pope is often overrated and I remember before his injury he wasn't playing great - until he had one great game and then got injured.

The problem with Pope playing is our front line is always static so we resort to hoofing it up to him - Williamson does not know how to play off Pope and is never there to get the ball if Pope manages to win the header. This is a not a good style of play.

Irrespective of Tom's current merits. Our goals for stats all season have been pants whichever up front combination has been used!

Irrespective of Tom's current merits. Our goals for stats all season have been pants whichever up front combination has been used!

Exactly and really frustrates me when I hear "we are OK upfront". Are we!!!!! When was that!!!! :D. Basically the problems with the defence have covered the fact that we aren't exactly good at the other end either. Another area that hasn't helped is the goals we've lost from losing Loft and JMW. OK Marshall has scored a few, but how many have O'Conner and Lines added.

However you can understand why Page has prioritised making us more tight, which Innis has now done. Now we need to bring in better upfront if we are ever going to Challenge in an higher League.

Archived