onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Tom Pope

PortVale4Life

I see all these points about work-rate and pace. He is quicker than our other attackers, but I wouldn't say he was lightning quick. As for his work-rate, it's there right up until the last thing he needs to do after he's closed the opposition player down, which is to actually challenge the ****** player! He challenges the player well about 10% of the time, the rest of the time it's a pretty weak attempt. He's a decent league 1 player when the work-rate is there. Without it, you're just looking at a player who doesn't have the 1st touch or finishing for this level.

Been saying this about Williamson for a long, long time. Much of the time he comes across as being s***-scared of physical challenges or getting hurt, as he just stands off the defender and allows them to have the ball.

He's OK as an impact substitute in the last 20-30 minutes, using his pace against tiring defences. He's nowhere near good enough, however, to be a regular starter if we want to be a serious & sustained top team in this division.

Advert

The total wage bill will be included in the club accounts. I'm not sure why fans need an appreciation of finances. That is the job of Smurthwaite and the Finance Director (do we have one of those?) There's no need to break it down into individual players. I'd be furious if my work starting telling my clients what I earn.

So you are happy to see players on good money but fail to perform week in week out, but is probably the basis for the resentment shown within the squad at times and yet the fans are left in the dark over what the players are payed-it's the fans that pay the wages at the end of the day... Players should be payed according to their performances anyway. The wage structures in all four divisions are a joke which is why football is in the mess its in.

Norman comes out with statements like Pope's wage will have to be reduced...so what exactly is Pope's wage?? For all we know Tom Pope is on less than everyone else!!!

How much do you earn? Do you tell your customers?

Football should work different to normal business....but it doesn't. The fans have a right to know about wages and structures, just as the fans had a right to know whether Perry and Deakin had bought shares its the same thing and boils down to transparency...what are we to believe otherwise?? How do we know that Pope is not on low wages compared to players like Duffy and Williamson hence the drop in his performances??...it's all relevant.

Knowing what Tom Pope is on is certainly not the same as knowing whether Perry Deakin actually paid for shares, after he very publicly said he had. Ridiculous comparison.

I also disagree that football should work different to normal business. I have no right to know what any player earns, just as I have no right to know what the call centre employee earns when they answer my phone call.

Football should work different to normal business....but it doesn't. The fans have a right to know about wages and structures, just as the fans had a right to know whether Perry and Deakin had bought shares its the same thing and boils down to transparency...what are we to believe otherwise?? How do we know that Pope is not on low wages compared to players like Duffy and Williamson hence the drop in his performances??...it's all relevant.

Has anyone seen Peter or Miller yet?

Archived