onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Disappointed

Smallthorne Dog

My youngest son has started playing under 8's for Red Street Harriers in the Potteries Mini Soccer League this season and tonight was the presentation evening at Fenton Manor. We were told a player from both Stoke andVale would be present giving out the awards. Chris Martin was rumoured to be Vale's representative.

The evening has just drawn to a close with no Vale player present. Stoke sent some new signing from Millwall Emanuel something or other. My point is, my son is a big Vale fan and was thrilled at the thought of meeting Martin. It was only natural that had a Vale player have shown up, the majority would still have swamped the no mark in the Stoke tracksuit, but as it was there was no alternative. And as a result my lad has been fishing around for a Stoke autograph and picture with a Stoke player.

What hope have we got of getting young kids to follow the Vale when Stoke are winning PR battles like this,so easily, without any competition.

I dont know for certain whether Vale had committed a player to the event, but either way its another lost opprtunity to keep let alone attract the next generation of fans!

Advert

not the same but in the same vein. my lad goes to crewe academy (at their request) age range 3/5 and does training in a 2/3 kids to one trainer situation. i want him to go vale so took him to dimensions on one saturday as soon as he was 4, which the minimum age. he was put in a group with 23 other kids age range 5/13 with one trainer. at crewe its all ball work. at vale it was a bit of running then split in to 4 teams and five asides for an hour. he now has the chance to go stoke. which will be on same basis as crewe small groups/ all ball work etc I am torn. he must have something as people pick him out and I want the best for him if he has a skill. but why cant this be at vale? we just fall behind in so many ways that we dont need to

My youngest son has started playing under 8's for Red Street Harriers in the Potteries Mini Soccer League this season and tonight was the presentation evening at Fenton Manor. We were told a player from both Stoke andVale would be present giving out the awards. Chris Martin was rumoured to be Vale's representative.

The evening has just drawn to a close with no Vale player present. Stoke sent some new signing from Millwall Emanuel something or other. My point is, my son is a big Vale fan and was thrilled at the thought of meeting Martin. It was only natural that had a Vale player have shown up, the majority would still have swamped the no mark in the Stoke tracksuit, but as it was there was no alternative. And as a result my lad has been fishing around for a Stoke autograph and picture with a Stoke player.

What hope have we got of getting young kids to follow the Vale when Stoke are winning PR battles like this,so easily, without any competition.

I dont know for certain whether Vale had committed a player to the event, but either way its another lost opprtunity to keep let alone attract the next generation of fans!

Get on to Derry Peakin old bleached bonce and give him some grief and also let prospective director Adams know as well make em work for the money they are taking out of the club

not the same but in the same vein. my lad goes to crewe academy (at their request) age range 3/5 and does training in a 2/3 kids to one trainer situation. i want him to go vale so took him to dimensions on one saturday as soon as he was 4, which the minimum age. he was put in a group with 23 other kids age range 5/13 with one trainer. at crewe its all ball work. at vale it was a bit of running then split in to 4 teams and five asides for an hour. he now has the chance to go stoke. which will be on same basis as crewe small groups/ all ball work etc I am torn. he must have something as people pick him out and I want the best for him if he has a skill. but why cant this be at vale? we just fall behind in so many ways that we dont need to

We appear to be in a time warp, or is it lack of staff/finance? Netherlands, France, Spain etc always said we play too many games when young. Ball skills are all that matters at that age, it appears other clubs have moved on. MC`s Plan for the Academy is still on hold, we can but dream. Why were so few free season ticket taken up this year, I think the answer is obvious, it makes a farce of community football. How many teams do we have, my local team Hinckley United have 18. The first team also has a friendly against Coventry, the best we do is Walsall.

I work with Kevin Finney's wife Sharon and their kids play at Crewe. Their eldest son Oliver is pretty talented. And Dario is hands on with the juniors (not in a haribo and puppys way). Its that kind of importance that Crewe place on their juniors. Sharon says they are happy to go where the kids will develop best

Sad to hear that as I've just got back from a great night at Vale Park where two Vale players,Stuart Tomlinson and Lee Collins ,presented trophies etc to the lads from Kidsgrove.They were both excellent and WELL BEHAVED!!Nothing was too much trouble for them as youngsters,Vale and Stoke,pestered them for photos and autographs.The adults gave them banter too about the goings on at Vale and wished them well for next season.Well done to both of them.

We appear to be in a time warp, or is it lack of staff/finance? Netherlands, France, Spain etc always said we play too many games when young. Ball skills are all that matters at that age, it appears other clubs have moved on. MC`s Plan for the Academy is still on hold, we can but dream. Why were so few free season ticket taken up this year, I think the answer is obvious, it makes a farce of community football. How many teams do we have, my local team Hinckley United have 18. The first team also has a friendly against Coventry, the best we do is Walsall.

Chris Swift at Stoke wanted to implement 4v4 games at under 9 level 3 years ago but it failed because the big boys such as Everton and Man City wouldn't do it. Man Utd have been using small sided games in their academy for a number of years. This was instigated by Rene Meulensteen who I think is now first team coach. Now the FA and Southgate have cottoned on. The late, great Wiel Coerver was preaching the individual skills development of young players years ago.

PVFC have teams from under 9-16 running. They also have development sessions for kids as young as 6. There is a lot of emphasis on ball skill and time on the ball etc. We only play the likes of Walsall, Shrewsbury, Tranmere etc, as C of E's are regionalised. PVFC also play games against Everton ,Man City, Wolves and Liverpool. Academies are regional in the same way.

Technically our boys are good. My lad has been in the system for 3 years. I believe that its not technique our kids lack but are caught up in an archaic system of playing. Even at under 11 its a rigid 442, keeper throws it long, defensive high line etc. Our kids should be taught to be comfortable in possession, and not to be afraid to receive under pressure etc. Our under 11 s looked pretty useful when they played at half time against Southend?

Hopefully the Premier League Elite Performance Programme will improve things. Lets not forget it was the French Academy system which was the benchmark a number of years ago - where are they now?

Contact Jeff Vernall or Sevvy at the Centre of Excellence

i can always remember my football presentation nights, oh the memories... always a vale player there on those occasions, ive got a picture somewhere of one of them. different times now though i supoose

That has been the biggest concern I have vioced vale have lost alot from the generation in their early 20s and late teens. Now they face losing future generations. It is viewd the same really as why we wouldn't support a non league side. If your dad supported newcastle town, doesn't neciserily mean you yourself will. I think that could start happening with val when they start getting old enough take themselves down.

SD: Just a question, As per you last paragraph...why dont you ask the question IF they were asked to attend before any negative spin was put onto here?

As echoed by someone who has been at PVFC tonight, 2 players attended and did the club proud!

Regards.

I have no doubt, given the current communication skilld of this board and CEO, that the current squad were allowed to go on holiday without any prior knowledge of the appointment!

Archived