onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Vale v Spurs 1988

Smugsy

Started my career following the Vale home and away consistently. What an atmosphere, shame we couldn't have beaten Watford in the next round.

Same here, up until that season, I didn't have a favourite club, I followed a few different teams. I started on and off that season at Vale Park. After that game I was VALE. Still one of the best wins i've ever seen, even beating Stoke takes a slight backseat.

• 4 weeks later...

Advert

Just to add, round three was Macc Town at home and we struggled and only a late Finney goal saved Rudgie his job...the rest is history of course..

Spot on Tosh!I used to video the games for the great man and it was such a massive relief to him and his lovely family when we won that day!As you say, the rest is history,but its about time Rudge was recognised by the club.This day in 1988 will live long in my memory,the day we beat the mighty Spurs:yes:

I remember the earlier rounds when Vale played at Prenton Park, Tranmere. Thought we were very lucky in the first game, which ended 2-2 then we won the replay 3-1. After which we beat Notts County at home 2-0 in the second round, which I thought was an achievement in itself. That county side were doing alright at the time and had Garry Birtles starring for them (Both games in 87)

The Tottenham game was out of this world- never ever have I felt the same feeling than when that final whistle blew. It was like...mindblowing. you just couldn't relate it to any other win that season.

A month before that Spurs game we were at Grimsby getting beaten 3-1 where a lot of Vale fans were calling for Rudge to be sacked. Bill Bell's best ever decision was to ignore them!

There was a rumour that Stoke were after Ray Walker and he was going to sign for them when we went out of the Cup. We beat Spurs in front of a full house then had two big gates against Watford - then we didn't need to sell. That Spurs game was hugely significant in Vale's history.

A month before that Spurs game we were at Grimsby getting beaten 3-1 where a lot of Vale fans were calling for Rudge to be sacked. Bill Bell's best ever decision was to ignore them!

There was a rumour that Stoke were after Ray Walker and he was going to sign for them when we went out of the Cup. We beat Spurs in front of a full house then had two big gates against Watford - then we didn't need to sell. That Spurs game was hugely significant in Vale's history.

Agree totally Jean, I allways said that cup run was the start of the best times in our history.

Archived