onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Page on Williamson

andy jones

How many of them games has he started though and actually lasted 90 minutes? The majority of them matches will be where he comes on as a sub?

Main striker?? He's always the one who gets dropped.

He is 1 goal behind Pope this season and had a handful of assists by his name not to shabby for someone who people don't seem to rate

I agree it would be interesting to see Willo's goal ratio for minutes played but, as far as I can see (unless you can direct me to one), no football stats website tells you this. So, as a measure of performance, goals per game is all there is to go on. Last season, he managed 4 goals in 38 league appearances, which is pretty poor by anyone's standards, so I guess 4 in 20 league games so far this season is a big improvement. But it's nowhere near enough for a pure striker. If you look at Soccerbase or Wiki, it's the worst ratio of any of our current strikers (Popey has 5 in 15 league games).

Don't get me wrong, I hope he does well but nothing so far tells me that he's good enough.

Advert

We need to remember that goals are team goals and all players contribute to them or should do but distracting opponents, passing, making dummy runs and even defending securely while others attack. The same applies to goals conceded. Far too much purely negative nonsense of the type "I don't care how many goals he scored, he played badly." Also a few telling points such as "he reacts rather than anticipates" That was exactly how Mark Richards played, though I would suggest that Williamson is still young enough to improve. By the way you can prove anything with statistics except what is going to happen.

We need to remember that goals are team goals and all players contribute to them or should do but distracting opponents, passing, making dummy runs and even defending securely while others attack. The same applies to goals conceded. Far too much purely negative nonsense of the type "I don't care how many goals he scored, he played badly." Also a few telling points such as "he reacts rather than anticipates" That was exactly how Mark Richards played, though I would suggest that Williamson is still young enough to improve. By the way you can prove anything with statistics except what is going to happen.

Where does this minconception he's young come from!?! He's 26!

I wish that I could see what others see in Ben but to me yesterday he achieved a neat finish for our first goal but that apart he did next to nothing. The defender marking him had a very easy time for the rest of the match.

He doesn't battle for the ball either on the deck or in the air. He has the pace but on the couple of occasions that he had the opportunity to use this asset he simple stopped turned around and played the ball back. This to me completely wastes a good chance to bear in on goal.

You really are a sad man.

You seem to think that effort and passion are the only qualities thar a footballer should have.

Face facts. We are winning games without your beloved Pope.

I agree it would be interesting to see Willo's goal ratio for minutes played but, as far as I can see (unless you can direct me to one), no football stats website tells you this. So, as a measure of performance, goals per game is all there is to go on. Last season, he managed 4 goals in 38 league appearances, which is pretty poor by anyone's standards, so I guess 4 in 20 league games so far this season is a big improvement. But it's nowhere near enough for a pure striker. If you look at Soccerbase or Wiki, it's the worst ratio of any of our current strikers (Popey has 5 in 15 league games).

Don't get me wrong, I hope he does well but nothing so far tells me that he's good enough.

The only way to do it is do it yourself, BBC website, Port Vale and look at the minutes he played for each match. It does make for interesting reading.

Eddie pope is still our top goalscorer. Has been for a while now. However he is also the best at holding up a ball and that is what many on here are saying Williams, N'guessan and co can't do. No doubt when he comes back you won't be giving him any time to get match fit like you've given N'guessan.

Page was not my preferred choice as Manager but I still think he is doing an excellent job and Pope' s hopefully imminent return can only further bolster our attacking strength for the second half of the season.

Eddie pope is still our top goalscorer. Has been for a while now. However he is also the best at holding up a ball and that is what many on here are saying Williams, N'guessan and co can't do. No doubt when he comes back you won't be giving him any time to get match fit like you've given N'guessan.

Page was not my preferred choice as Manager but I still think he is doing an excellent job and Pope' s hopefully imminent return can only further bolster our attacking strength for the second half of the season.

Dave

The point being that Pope playing is not a pre-requisite for a Vale victory.

That's not denying his qualities or his contribution in the last 3 years.

We can all bleat on about who's best at what but I, for one, see a future without him.

Eddie

Clearly you are right on point one mate. Hope we don't have to see who is right on the last one.

I think we can both agree the squad is stronger with him.

I've heard some very interesting stuff about TP tonight that would suggest if a compromise could be reached, it will.

You really are a sad man.

You seem to think that effort and passion are the only qualities thar a footballer should have.

Face facts. We are winning games without your beloved Pope.

I'm really far from sad Mr Hitler. The point is neither Williamson or N'guessan are a patch on Popey because he scores, holds the ball up well, brings other players into the game far better than the presently selected players.

I would be a 'sad man' though if Tom were to leave because I'm sure we wouldn't replace him with anyone as good as he has been over the past three years.

I'm really far from sad Mr Hitler. The point is neither Williamson or N'guessan are a patch on Popey because he scores, holds the ball up well, brings other players into the game far better than the presently selected players.

I would be a 'sad man' though if Tom were to leave because I'm sure we wouldn't replace him with anyone as good as he has been over the past three years.

Willo is only 1 goal behind Popey now ;-)

It's got to a stage now where I genuinely think that Old Sage supports Pope and not Port Vale. The mans obsessed. Didn't he compare him to sproson the other week?

He's a good player, but come on man, start getting behind the other players and not sit there crying when they score. Ben's 1 goal behind Pope having started around the same number of games.

Archived