onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

World's Rarest Record

Tone

Advert

'World's rarest record' Open the Door to Your Heart by Darrell Banks sells for £14,543

Read more: http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/London-Records-Open-Door-Heart-Darrell-Banks/story-25747506-detail/story.html#ixzz3MaC2yxJw

Takes me back to late nights at The Place.

Uplifting, but a very average offering.

Still, it isn't about the quality of the music with these rarities as it becomes like stamp collecting. Most of these very expensive records are available on reissue labels for peanuts, its the original label/condition that counts.

I wouldn't worry Tone, it's standard behaviour.

I find it odd to say that something is the most anything like that! I know a lot of early blues records were self commissioned back in the 1920/ 30's, especially by black artists because record labels wouldn't sign them. How are they not rarer!?! Either way, just shy of fifteen grand for a record is a bit steep!

I'm surprised this record has sold for so much money as I'm sure there were many, many copies of it around in the 60's as it was widely played at most Northern Soul venues. I'm sure I had a copy but perhaps this one was on a particular label. His song "Somebody Somewhere Else Needs You" was also a Northern Soul classic and much rarer and hence more difficult to get hold of.

Darrell Banks was a great soul singer with a majestic voice, sadly died way to young.

I've got a copy, pretty sure it's on the Soul City label.

You can have it for £100.

Then I'll buy a replacement for about £20 at an nighter or a record fair- it's still widely available as is 'Love in The Pocket' , as long as you're not bothered about the label its on.

I can listen to it on YouTube for nowt. The reason it sold for a lot of money was that it is on the London label, which apparently is the rare bit about it.

Exactly. Which, as I said earlier, makes it just like stamp collecting.

Incidentally, it wasn't a put down to say it is uplifting but average - there are plenty of other records I'm sure fans of this genre think are equally good and I'm sure very few people wouldput it in their top 10 tracks of all time.

But this high price has little to do with the quality of the song or the artist, it is purely based on rarity of the label. Those who pay these prices are never silly enough to risk actually playing the item, they would play a 10 quid version on another label in case they scratched it by accident.:)

• 2 weeks later...
I thought Frank Wilson's 'Do I Love You' sold for about 35K a few years back.

As far as I recall it was 15K but still makes it the most valuable.

Frank wilsons records were supposed to have all been destroyed when he made the decision to work as a producer rather than as an artist, which is why they are so scarce and valuable. Not a bad tune either.

As far as I recall it was 15K but still makes it the most valuable.

Frank wilsons records were supposed to have all been destroyed when he made the decision to work as a producer rather than as an artist, which is why they are so scarce and valuable. Not a bad tune either.

Just checked, indeed I do sold for £25,742 in May 2009 only 2 have been sold and possibly only five actually exist.

Archived