onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Port Vale 0 - Coventry 2

Caz or caz123

I feel Page is to afraid to ruffle any feathers. Is he really capable of, after Adams, coming in and taking the situation by the scruff of the neck? Does he rewards his pals, like with talk of Birchall getting a long contract? Will he dare drop players like Dickinson rather than play him hopelessly out of position? It's time for Rob Page to act like a Manager, not the players' mate and start making some decisions. Williamson and Birchall aren't good enough for the first team squad.

His real test will be the summer, when I fear he won't make the necessary tough decisions and our smaller budget will be wasted on extending our weaker players' contracts with little else left to strengthen.

There is still lots that can happen before the summer and I fear that greater damage is still to be done. We need shot of Page and Glover before it is irreparable. They can take Dicko, Williamson, Duffy, Robertson, with them. The thought of giving Pope away is terrifying.

Advert

Page got it properly wrong today. I didn't realise both Lines and O'Connor were out - we'd be lucky with a draw. But to play Dicko in midfield (he'd be ok as the anchor in a 3 man central midfield) was just crazy. And then not to take off NGuessen and Williamson who had done nothing for the entire game was perplexing. Chuck on the Champignon?

I also thought the wingers were wrong. Coventry played with a big centre back at left back - why not play Daniel against him to keep him occupied? We didn't and what happened? 6ft+ getting marked by 5ft. Goal. Stupid.

If Pope is being offered a 50% pay cut I'd gladly see Williamson/NGuessen/both out the door to accomodate.

Big positive for me was Freddie at the back. Played the ball out very well and something we've lacked for many seasons. Long may that continue.

Still midfield will be back together soon and we can only hope the results return as well. Coventry were pants. Vale were pantsier.

What was worrying about Saturday is that anyone with half a brain cell could see that a midfield of brown and dickinson was not going to work and after about 20 minutes it was blindingly ****** obvious. We had zero pace or creativity from midfield. Much as I think dodds is average at least he can occasionally spot a pass. What discussions took place amongst the management team to come up with that starting team? I'm certain nobody else in the ground would have picked it.

Was the game plan to rely on Marshall? If so Coventry picked up on it early in the game and double marked him.

Frustrating really because Coventry were without question the worst side we've played this season and probably last as well. I bet their fans couldn't believe their luck.

It's clear to me that beyond our first choice eleven we're very much a league two outfit at best.

Only one question. When Mimbey or whatever his name is came on we had two midgets with blistering pace and dribbling skills on the pitch. So did we put them both out wide to really stretch a poor defence and throw NGuessan height and weight down the middle?

No we move him out wide and put the lads with pace an no height down the middle.

Can't fathom that one for the life of me.

Maybe Glover can throw some light on that tactic

What was worrying about Saturday is that anyone with half a brain cell could see that a midfield of brown and dickinson was not going to work and after about 20 minutes it was blindingly ****** obvious. We had zero pace or creativity from midfield. Much as I think dodds is average at least he can occasionally spot a pass. What discussions took place amongst the management team to come up with that starting team? I'm certain nobody else in the ground would have picked it.

Was the game plan to rely on Marshall? If so Coventry picked up on it early in the game and double marked him.

Frustrating really because Coventry were without question the worst side we've played this season and probably last as well. I bet their fans couldn't believe their luck.

It's clear to me that beyond our first choice eleven we're very much a league two outfit at best.

Totally agree. I thought Coventry were awful but they won comfortably.

It was clear from very early on that the team picked was the wrong one yet we persisted until the game was beyond us.

I'm not going to criticise individuals as it wasn't Dickos choice to play in midfield but no manager worth his salt picks players out of position, especially at this level.

World class players can sometimes play 2 positions but always have a strongest position.

Players at our level can & should play 1 position only unless it's an emergency. We had Doddsy and Birchall, two players deemed good enough for contracts but then are replaced in their position by a left back who by his own admission has had a stinker this season? What was the logic behind that?

I remember talking to Glover about Luke Rodgers I tried to explain to him Rodgers a very limited player can.t head a ball can't hold up a ball but the one thing he can do is run onto a through ball (if it is given early enough) and score, when he played for Shrews I can see him now scoring against us. But Glover just had high balls fed to him or waited for ever to put the through ball to him so he was always off side. Really do worry about having him involved at the club again. Also never liked how Glover and Grew conspired against Sinnott just did not seem right.

I'm still having nightmares about Saturday to be honest. It was a woeful performance.

To turn up after two weeks off and a month without a home game and to perform like that was totally unacceptable and then we hear that the players are back in training now after their Christmas **** up in Dublin.

Wouldn't the players have been better going there the previous weekend when there was no game?

I thought things were improving gradually under Page but performances like that will not get fans coming into the ground. With or without our first choice midfield, there were enough options in there to cover (Dodds, Birchall, Moore) and at least all three are classed as midfielders/wingers.

To think that Dickinson was a good midfield option instead was either a terrible decision by Page or he was just badly advised.It's very worrying if Glover is having more and more influence as we are going backwards if that's the case.

Fingers crossed we can improve at Crawley this Saturday - the players owe us one big time after Saturday.

Archived