onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Port Vale 0 - Coventry 2

Caz or caz123

I've just watched the Valiant Player highlights. That penalty claim on Marshall wasn't a foul, it was GBH. How did the ref not give that? And the first goal would have been disallowed by many refs.

The ref wasn't the reason we lost but he certainly helped Coventry win.

An before TP moans about me making these comments, this is the first time I've criticised a ref for absolutely ages!

Its not just the ref Jean,the linesman was right in line with no one blocking his view,i said at the time I was unsure on the 2 other incidents but that one he actually just threw him out of the way

Advert

Having read what carl Dickenson as said on V P I don't think he or the other players give a dam about the fans. It's well we lost lets go to the next match don't for get we have not won away from home in ages so no wins in December can not see us beating crawley or sheff utd on yesterdays showing not that he and most of the other players where total rubbish but the fans can see it and voting with there feet and keeping there hard earned cash in there pockets. If we want a big crowd on boxing day lets hope Sheffield bring a crowd with them.

Just back after the weekend away with too long to think about one of the worst performances, particularly the second half, that I've seen for a long time. As soon as I saw the team selection I thought it was going to go badly and so it proved. With two defensive midfielders (one a full back) we ended up essentially with six defensive players against a lone Coventry attacker and absolutely no creativity in the middle. As a result our only outlet was through Marshall who was variously kicked, fouled and double teamed into oblivion. How the referee missed what looked like a clear case of assault against him in the area and then a clear sending off for a two footed tackle from behind has to be one of the mysteries of the universe.

As the game went on it was clear that we were making no headway in the final third with Williamson in particular putting in a display that was sure to reinforce, justifiably, all the doubts and criticisms he's received over recent months. Truly awful and how he stayed on the pitch instead of Campion, I'll never know. It was complemented by a similarly woeful performance by Daniel whose head had gone down long before he was substituted. And why Brown, our only hope in midfield went off, I'll never know either.

So, wrong team selection, wrong tactics and wrong substitutions. As other posters have said, it was all too reminiscent of Colchester last season where Micky put out a defensive line-up against a side that had just lost 6-1 at home in the league cup and paid the price with a shocking defeat. Did Page learn nothing from that wretched display?

Finally, what really made my blood run cold though was finding out that Glover was advising Page in the dug out. Great player as he was, Glover's management record is utterly appalling (statistically, one of the worst in the club's long history, including Sinnott and Gannon) and here we are getting a second dose. Very worrying.

We are just three or four players away from a relegation side and, as soon as we get three of them back (O'Connor, Lines and Pope) the better.

You are taking the **** aren't you? You're being sarcastic?

No, I'm serious. I don't rate the man at all. He's a coach, not a manager. All the tactics in the world won't make a team better if they don't have a manager to get in their faces and sort things out. The players are taking too much for granted, and he's allowing it. Things are not going to get better with Rob Page, and Vale will be lucky to finish 5th from bottom. That's the way I see it anyway.

No, I'm serious. I don't rate the man at all. He's a coach, not a manager. All the tactics in the world won't make a team better if they don't have a manager to get in their faces and sort things out. The players are taking too much for granted, and he's allowing it. Things are not going to get better with Rob Page, and Vale will be lucky to finish 5th from bottom. That's the way I see it anyway.

Things are so much better than they were. We are playing better football, we are better defensively (marginal) and the team seem to have more energy.......except for yesterday which was woeful. We have definitely improved under Page.

We've never actually seen Jennings play -_- but surely he'd be better in the centre of midfield than Dickinson

...we signed a player like Jennings to bolster the squad in the summer, and when we actually needed him today he was out on loan. He would have possibly made a difference today.

As soon as O'Connor was suspended I stated that we surely had to look at recalling Jennings. Was given no chance whatsoever under Page despite having a decent reputation at this level, and yet players of the (sub)standard of Williamson and Birchall make the squad (if not the starting XI) week in, week out.

Speaking of Birchall, if he's been told by Page that he's part of his long term plans, then you have to wonder if those plans involve League 2 football!?! :unsure: :laugh:

As soon as O'Connor was suspended I stated that we surely had to look at recalling Jennings. Was given no chance whatsoever under Page despite having a decent reputation at this level, and yet players of the (sub)standard of Williamson and Birchall make the squad (if not the starting XI) week in, week out.

Speaking of Birchall, if he's been told by Page that he's part of his long term plans, then you have to wonder if those plans involve League 2 football!?! :unsure: :laugh:

Thats a very good point .........Why wasnt Jennings recalled? managers call or owners call

Big problem Saturday, as other posters have said, was lack of a functional midfield.

Lines and O'Connor back on Saturday so will improve matters. Just don't get yourselves booked/sent off lads.

sorry Mel Lines out till Sheffield game

I feel Page is to afraid to ruffle any feathers. Is he really capable of, after Adams, coming in and taking the situation by the scruff of the neck? Does he rewards his pals, like with talk of Birchall getting a long contract? Will he dare drop players like Dickinson rather than play him hopelessly out of position? It's time for Rob Page to act like a Manager, not the players' mate and start making some decisions. Williamson and Birchall aren't good enough for the first team squad.

His real test will be the summer, when I fear he won't make the necessary tough decisions and our smaller budget will be wasted on extending our weaker players' contracts with little else left to strengthen.

Archived