onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Pope in Millwall for talks

SuperValiant1876

Advert

I suspect Millwall was the club smurf mentioned when he said he put one of clubs interested to Pope and he said no for personal reasons or words to that effect.

Pope's a Stoke-on-Trent person through and through he's not going to uproots and move to South London with a young family. To a club although they'd pay him more you've got the cost of living down there if you want to live anywhere half decent(which rules out the surrounding area to Millwall's ground!:laugh:).

If he ever does leave us it will be to a club in a 50-60 mile radius I would guess!

Plenty of decent places within an hour of Millwall, Rich, even if Bermondsey isn't exactly the nicest place on Earth.

Another day,another crap rumour.

Popeys happy living in sneyd green,with family n friends close by,hes newly married with young kids,lives near me to be honest.

I know he was unhappy living away from home,when at rotherham,so millwalls a no no.in my opinion,IF he went,which i doubt,would be for a club he could commute to.

Sis in law is popeys wife mate,and i got her to ask few weeks ago,n answer was no chance am i moving.

Agree, but I think that running his contract down and replacing him with someone on smaller wages may be a false economy on Norman's part.

There's a reason why goalscorers command a premium.

We should only offer what we can afford though. Maybe a deal in January is a solution that means we get the most return we can at this point.

Here's an idea Norman, why don't you make room for our top scorer in the wage budget by not signing scores of players who aren't even playing?

To complain that one player is too expensive when there are 31 on the books is a joke.

agreed. I'm happy Smurf is trying to be sensible, but maybe Pope's wage could be the equivalent of two players?

Here's an idea Norman, why don't you make room for our top scorer in the wage budget by not signing scores of players who aren't even playing?

To complain that one player is too expensive when there are 31 on the books is a joke.

I see where you're coming from Doha but I don't think long term the plan is to have a squad of 31, its just not sustainable. We have several loan deals which will expire plus some will leave. If Pope signs a new contract I suspect it would be for a minimum of 2 years, so a huge chunk of the budget.

Having said that, of course, I hope he stays.

Plenty of decent places within an hour of Millwall, Rich, even if Bermondsey isn't exactly the nicest place on Earth.
Within an hour try 20/30 mins Bexley Heath,Welling,Sidcup Ian Bogie lived 5 minutes from me when he was at Millwall.And just to add fuel to the fire i have a mate who plays for Wall he mentioned that Pope was a target.

Not sure I agree. These young lads won't be on anything here, the parent club will be paying most of their wages. As per pope if he's on a wage that's much too high (smurf says he is) then he shouldn't be offered a deal that's still that high. We aren't a premiership club who can just chuck wages at a player. I know how important and key pope is and we should do everything in our means to keep him, but If that means destroying a budget and making us financially unstable then he would have to be offered a reduced was. Look at these 31 players, how many are current first team? I don't think the likes of campion, Harry, Lloyd, smith, boot or greenidge can be considered in that figure. Also a few more will be loaned out. It's smurf choice in January if the same offer from millwall is offered again and I think he will accept. Pope is key and id love him to stay but the wage he is on clearly isn't sustainable. Sending a few young lads back isn't going to make any difference, with possibly the exception of slew.

Within an hour try 20/30 mins Bexley Heath,Welling,Sidcup Ian Bogie lived 5 minutes from me when he was at Millwall.And just to add fuel to the fire i have a mate who plays for Wall he mentioned that Pope was a target.

Its a along way to come back to the Sneyd Arms for a drink though:D

There's always a way to find funds for an important player whether it be as you suggest or other.

If Popey did go Vale would have to find someone who could score goals and do the things he does and such a player would not come cheap or be easy to find. N'Guessan/Campion/Harry P may be the answer but its too early to say and the playing situation is a little delicate at the moment to wait and find out.

We should only offer what we can afford though. Maybe a deal in January is a solution that means we get the most return we can at this point.

A classic football club thing to do is to cut costs when things are quite calm then end up overspending in a crisis.

If Pope leaves and we still intend to remain in League One then we'll still have to spend the going rate to get a proven goalscorer at that level, which may not necessarily be much cheaper, if at all. The other option would be bringing in a cheaper, unproven player.

Archived