onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Pack the park.

valiant_593

Somewhere in the mid-90's we lost a lot of support and they never returned.

In 1993 we took 25k to Wembley in the LDV Autoglass Paint Pot, but in 2001 we could only muster 13k to Cardiff for the same competition.

In 1997 when we played Wolves with a realistic tilt at the Championship play-offs, we were virtually outnumbered by them at Vale Park.

From that day on, I've regarded Vale's support as mediocre I'm sad to say.

Advert

I put this on FB yesterday, if anyone wants to join me feel free:

Ok an idea for the Rochdale Home game. I will buy 1 extra full price ticket, to be given free to an non regular fan. The idea though is that they then come the next home game. Anybody else who can genuinely afford willing to join me in gettin 1extra person to attend. Lets see if we can try and get 6-7000. Would be a start.

Well said. The Chairman needs some support for all of the good work he has done. He doesn't deserve the last two home crowds. Sometimes you think there's little else you can do but keep going yourself but ideas like this are brilliant. Well done.

In 1993 we took 25k to Wembley in the LDV Autoglass Paint Pot, but in 2001 we could only muster 13k to Cardiff for the same competition.

In 1997 when we played Wolves with a realistic tilt at the Championship play-offs, we were virtually outnumbered by them at Vale Park.

Two words - Premier League.

The amount of money that has been thrown at the clubs at the top of the game since 1992 has been surreal (and, conversely, the amount that has been taken away from the lower leagues). That's self evident from the exchange of clubs between Premiership and Championship - it's the same ones every year (mostly).

No one wants to watch football below Championship level now

Cant help but think to generate support and get the ''Armchair '' fans back would be a new ground, with modern facilities, perhaps near the A500 down near Goldendale or Longport, i know this has been mentioned before and its not an easy option to get off the ground, but seems most clubs who have invested in a new ground have done quite well ( not all ) and the gates have gone up, look at Rotherscum for example, they used to have regular 3500 crowds now they are 6000 - 10000 even when in Div 1.

It's true that we were getting much better gates in the mid nineties when we were in the same league as Stoke and occasionally in a league above.

When we were previously in the same league in the fifties we regularly had gates of 20,000. Now we have a core support of about 3,000 and that has been more than we deserve at times, particularly in the Valiant 2001 period. We can get back to at least 10,000 but it will take a good many years and a lot good performances on the pitch.

I think the £200 ish for season tickets in the V2001 era helped attendances compared to now

There is no doubt about that being true. However, that ST pricing structure helped lead us into Admin. If I was NS, I would do whatever I could to make a ST £300 and walk-up £20 then build the playing budget from there.

In fact, scrub that about the £300 ST. I would make it £350 in order to facilitate a £20 walk-up price

You have to remember that was in the days of Billy Bell. I remember that match well. The attendance was 13k. Wolves had the hamil end and the lorne street, which were packed out (7k). There is no way on this earth we had only 6k Vale fans in the ground that day. It was rammed. You only have to look at you tube videos from back then, such as the Oldham match we won 3-2. The attendance was 8k, with a packed bycars, packed railway and the days when we pretty much filled both sides of the lorne street standing. Plus away fans. No way 8k. Don't even get me started on the Arsenal FA Cup match....14k :laugh:

Archived