onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Terry Butcher

cheshirevaliant

A little bit disrespectful of a player that played for England 77 times over a 10 period. He is probably qualified to comment on England players as he was in the Italy 90 team that reached the Semi-finals of the World Cup. A far greater achievement than the recent clutch of over paid prima-donas that have represented England.

When we look at the candidates that people seem to prefer - an untried manager in Page, who has deputised for Adams in the recent past when Adams was ill, and not a very successful stint either.

And Neil Aspin. To use your parlance of descriptive style, can be described as, having an undistinguished playing career at lower level and a managerial career similar to one the of Lee Sinnott before his move to the Vale (in other words, plying his trade in the lowest rank of the professional game).

Imagine the scenario; Premier League managers answering a phone call from Neil WHO??? or Rob Never heard of ya Page??? asking " Can I loan some of your talent?"

or

'Hello, Terry Butcher here England legend.'

At 14-1 Butcher is hardly likely to get the job,but, before casting stones at a potential candidate, have a long hard look at the front runners. Hardly exciting are they??

My main point was that he's an awful manager who's managerial record commands no respect whatsoever..........and I can't stand him!

Advert

It's Page's job anyway as long as he doesn't lose every game between now and the end of the month.

Scouting together, bringing players in, talking of youth - Smurthwaite doesn't have to go through the hassle of appointing someone new with all the risks and potential personality clashes, Page will be the cheapest option and so will his recruitment policy that's now been instilled into him.

Page is desperate for a crack at management and Smurthwaite has wasted no time in drilling into him that there is no money to spend so if you want the job, go along with this new regime. Page want's to prove himself and Smurthwaite can have far more control now that Adams isn't here.

Smurthwaite will be praying that the lads continue to show desire for the rest of the month because lets face it that's all that's changed and that may fade quickly. But then this would probably be the case whoever came in because Adams didn't start on such a bad consecutive run for the first time in 5 years on his own.

Agree with all of that. Smurthwaite will be desperate to give it to Page, mainly for budgetary reasons.

I couldn't say I'm unimpressed but I haven't seen anything bar the old Adams Vale coming back and showing the desire that was missing. I just think Adams departure has shocked them into life and the realisation that they forced his decision by their performances.

I don't want to lose a game but the test will be how we bounce back. I just want to see us being really hard to beat because we've been a walkover this season in many games which we haven't seen very often for a few years now.

At 14-1 Butcher is hardly likely to get the job,but, before casting stones at a potential candidate, have a long hard look at the front runners. Hardly exciting are they??

I agree with this, but I'd still prefer most of them to Butcher - and that's saying something, with the likes of Beattie, Calderwood, Aspin, etc amongst them.

The only one on the 10 or so shortest-listed that excites me is O'Driscoll - also a 14-1 shot.

My main point was that he's an awful manager who's managerial record commands no respect whatsoever..........and I can't stand him!

I can see that you don't like him, but he does deserve some respect. And my point is,he has a better record at a higher level than Aspin and Page, so again,some respect is merited.

I'm sure that he will not get the job anyway. I think Page will get it. That's worrying to me, as he's just the cheap and easy option. The past highlights this, when Glover, Foyle, Sinnott and Gannon were employed with disastrous consequences. Many berated Pratt and Co. for their myopic approach. I had hoped Smurf would be different, but it looks as though he too could turn into an easy option merchant.

Archived