Sign in to follow this  
fairportnick

RIP James Alexander Gordon

..and now it's five o'clock and time for the football scores read by James Alexander Gordon....

I grew up with that and the Out of the Blue theme music that used to precede it - can still smell Saturday tea cooking to that music and his voice.

RIP James, and condolences to the family.

Thanks Tosh - so one he would liked to have had read out that never actually happened. I'll have to content myself with the cricket gem involving Michael Holding and Peter Willey....or is that a myth as well?

For all Skys bells whistles and flim flam nothing beat the results being read out over the radio especially when years ago it was the first inkling how the Vale had gone on,it was brilliant when they played away and you tried to guess by JAG's intonation what the score was.Sadly missed.

Thanks Tosh - so one he would liked to have had read out that never actually happened. I'll have to content myself with the cricket gem involving Michael Holding and Peter Willey....or is that a myth as well?

It happened but the wrong way round, "In January 1964 an encounter between them finished tantalisingly near, but the wrong way round - Forfar 5 East Fife 4".

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-23447439

I also thought Brian Johnson said on air "The batsman's Holding the bowlers Willey" but a quick Google says it never happened although he talked about it alot.

Lillee c Willey b Dilley happend though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y77urWilI7M

James Alexander Gordon, what a voice, I used to tease my younger brothers by saying the away score before he said it....I usually got it right.

Bollinger ... you have captured it succinctly. For those of a certain age and long before the silicon chip we would come out of Vale games, excited if we had won, and wondering how so and so had got on. We would have known the Half Time score from the big metal plate scoreboard that used to be in the Hamil near the Lorne Street, but it was only after the music and James Alexandra Gordon introduction that the voice of velvet would rise and fall in such melodic fashion.

I was only saying on another post how much I dislike the age of Sky football and miss the 'simple game of footie' optimised by that Saturday afternoon results ritual.

And there wasn't effing Kindled to mess up your spelling ·™€`^¥«»{}©®|°[]£.

Bollinger here ! ..........I bet you remember the teleprinter as well, the agony when it faltered half way between the two scores...........Doncaster Rovers 1.........................................................Port............................................................................................................................................Vale 3.