onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Vale legend Ken Hancock

andy jones

For those who watched the Vale in the early 60's you may, like me, have been awestruck with admiration of Vale goalie Ken Hancock who could make receiving a back pass look like a world class save.

Well you may like to relive those days by purchasing a copy of the latest issue of that excellent retro footie mag ... 'Back Pass' as it contains a really enjoyable 3 page article on Flash Hanks.

Got to say the mag is a fabulous read anyway and I highly recommend it for owd 'uns like me. Don't be put off by the £4.25p price it's a cover to cover read.

Advert

For those who watched the Vale in the early 60's you may, like me, have been awestruck with admiration of Vale goalie Ken Hancock who could make receiving a back pass look like a world class save.

Well you may like to relive those days by purchasing a copy of the latest issue of that excellent retro footie mag ... 'Back Pass' as it contains a really enjoyable 3 page article on Flash Hanks.

Got to say the mag is a fabulous read anyway and I highly recommend it for owd 'uns like me. Don't be put off by the £4.25p price it's a cover to cover read.

Hancocks Half Hour .......Back page of the Sunday Express...... when Ken kept the might of Liverpool at bay in the FA Cup, got an ovation from the Kop for that performance.

• 2 weeks later...
Hancocks Half Hour .......Back page of the Sunday Express...... when Ken kept the might of Liverpool at bay in the FA Cup, got an ovation from the Kop for that performance.

Yes and i was at both games the away draw 0-0 in front of 52000 fans – 8,000 of them Vale supporters and the 2-1 loss after extra time with a reported 42179 at Vale Park. It was around 1963 I was still at school about 12 i think!

The place was packed and there were a dozen or so on the roof of the railway stand.

I man died in the crowd leaving after the game and two Liverpool supporters fell through the roof of the stand and I thing a vale fan was injured when thousands of Liverpool fans stormed the railway paddock gates.

But Ken and the defence were the stars of the show on both occasions.

The Liverpool supporters applauded the team and the supporters off the ground in the days when sprotsmanship was king.

A couple of years ago I was called into my shop my our sales manager saying, do you recognise this man, I replied probably the best Vale goal keeper ever. He was with two other old chaps, David Ikin and Harry Poole.

I believe they all still go to the vale home matches today.

Yes and i was at both games the away draw 0-0 in front of 52000 fans – 8,000 of them Vale supporters and the 2-1 loss after extra time with a reported 42179 at Vale Park. It was around 1963 I was still at school about 12 i think!

The place was packed and there were a dozen or so on the roof of the railway stand.

I man died in the crowd leaving after the game and two Liverpool supporters fell through the roof of the stand and I thing a vale fan was injured when thousands of Liverpool fans stormed the railway paddock gates.

But Ken and the defence were the stars of the show on both occasions.

The Liverpool supporters applauded the team and the supporters off the ground in the days when sprotsmanship was king.

A couple of years ago I was called into my shop my our sales manager saying, do you recognise this man, I replied probably the best Vale goal keeper ever. He was with two other old chaps, David Ikin and Harry Poole.

I believe they all still go to the vale home matches today.

The replay on Monday 27th January 1964 was my first ever taste of live professional football at the age of 9. I still wonder in amazement that my Dad felt it fit to take me to such a high profile game (and night match at that) for my introduction to Port Vale Football Club. 50 years later and I am still a Vale fan.

Ken lives near me and his phone number is logged in my mobile under ... 'Hero' As a youngster I always played in goals and, as you do at that age, I always tried to emulate Ken and would make receiving a back pass a world class save. Unfortunately, unlike Ken, I conceded far too many.

Awesome! I'll get the lad to pick up a copy for me.

I was also at both games. I can still picture John Nicholson just failing to connect with a ball into the box that would have won us the game, late on at Anfield.

Awesome! I'll get the lad to pick up a copy for me.

I was also at both games. I can still picture John Nicholson just failing to connect with a ball into the box that would have won us the game, late on at Anfield.

John Nicholson, another great Vale player.

I always remember Ken with an injured leg, hobbling along the goal line against Sunderland with Cloughie as centre forward, in the 3-1 replay win. No subs in those days, better a hobbling Ken in goals than being replaced by an outfielder.

I was at both games too and my biggest memory of the away game was my father took me on the Kop, at five to three my feet were of the ground and a scouser next to my dad said "what's this young kid doing here, he should be at the back" he then picked me up and I was passed from the front of the Kop to the back where I was placed on a girder at the very back where all the young kids sat. Brilliant veiw !

Barnyowl.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived