onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

PL 2015/16 - Favourites? Plus my Liverpool...

TylerB

Advert

I don't really pay enough attention to give a comprehensive view, so based on the little I know this is what I think.

Chelsea - If Costa can hit the ground running they will win the league. They didn't have a goalscorer last season and that cost them.

Man City - Will be there or there abouts again but are still too reliant on Kompany. If he gets injured they're screwed.

Arsenal - Being overhyped again by the media based on the signing of Sanchez. A lack of goals didn't cost them last year, it was being humiliated away at Chelsea, Man City and Liverpool. Without a holding midfielder and a leader in defence, they won't win the league.

Liverpool - Will badly miss Sanchez. The challenge for them is to avoid doing a Spurs. There are similarities between what Spurs did after selling Bale and what Liverpool are doing now. Both made excellent signings but Spurs didn't gel as a team. If Liverpool can avoid that then they will finish top 4, but they don't have the world class players Chelsea or Man City do. They should have signed Lukaku.

Man United - Beechy is spot on about their defence. They showed in America they have attacking talent, but need to improve their centre backs to have a chance to get back in the top 4.

I don't really pay enough attention to give a comprehensive view, so based on the little I know this is what I think.

Chelsea - If Costa can hit the ground running they will win the league. They didn't have a goalscorer last season and that cost them.

Man City - Will be there or there abouts again but are still too reliant on Kompany. If he gets injured they're screwed.

Arsenal - Being overhyped again by the media based on the signing of Sanchez. A lack of goals didn't cost them last year, it was being humiliated away at Chelsea, Man City and Liverpool. Without a holding midfielder and a leader in defence, they won't win the league.

Liverpool - Will badly miss Sanchez. The challenge for them is to avoid doing a Spurs. There are similarities between what Spurs did after selling Bale and what Liverpool are doing now. Both made excellent signings but Spurs didn't gel as a team. If Liverpool can avoid that then they will finish top 4, but they don't have the world class players Chelsea or Man City do. They should have signed Lukaku.

Man United - Beechy is spot on about their defence. They showed in America they have attacking talent, but need to improve their centre backs to have a chance to get back in the top 4.

Some fair points made. Chelsea are my favourites, they don't play anything like the same exciting football as City or Liverpool but they won't care as long as they win things. I made a point about Arsenal earlier in the threat that although they have lots of good players going forward they still lack steel in their side. The signing of Flamini last season helped a little bit but he doesn't seem to be the player he was a few years ago before he left for AC Milan. Arteta is useless. If they signed Khedira who they have been linked with and another top centre-back I would say that they would be very strong candidates, but until they do the same problems as seasons before will arise sooner or later and they'll fade away.

As for us, I can partially see why people would say that we could do another Spurs but out of all the signings we've made I think only Moreno, Lovren and Lallana are certain starters. That's only three players, two in which don't need to adapt to the league at all. Spurs changed half of their team with new signings after the sale of Bale.

Lallana will flop, just a feeling I've got.....

What gives you this feeling? Not that you're not entitled to it or anything!

If anything he should improve at Liverpool under Rodgers, who has an ability to get the most out of players, and playing alongside technically better players than he was at Southampton. He won't feature in at least the first half a dozen or so games though which is unfortunate for us.

I have to be honest, I would have like one marquee signing that really excites the fans in the same way Sanchez has for the Gunners. Someone like Marco Reus, who Liverpool were heavily linked with, would have been perfect, a very exciting and renowned player and at 25 someone who can also get better. He would have been a more than adequate direct replacement for Saurez.

Just a few signs I've seen with him make me think he might lack the pace and guile when he's playing with players a level up. Hope I'm wrong for the sake of the England team, I think Liverpool will do well this season but may struggle to replicate the season just gone. At this stage I'd say it's between Liverpool and Man Utd for 4th spot personally...

I'm not totally convinced by him myself in fairness. He's shown at Southampton that he's a very good player and he'll score a few and get a number of assists. But whether he can make another step up obviously remains to be seen. He will either buckle under he pressure of playing for a top club like Liverpool or he will revel in it and go from a very good player into potentially a great one.

There's no doubt in my mind that Liverpool's best chance to win the league for possibly a long, long time was last season, and we came up just short at the end. It just irritates me when some people suddenly think that Liverpool will struggle to even make Europe because Luis Saurez is no longer then, when the reality is that he wasn't in the side for a considerable amount of games last season and Liverpool still won the vast majority of them and scored bucket loads while doing so. If Sturridge and Sterling both go on to have even better seasons then they're going to do some damage to a lot of clubs.

I think we have seen already that no matter how good a manager or accomplished Van Gaal is, unless United sign a few players of top quality they're going to have another dissapointing season. Liverpool were very lucky to win the game against Southampton and could of easily have lost, credit to them for giving it a real go. Though in fairness we lost to them at Anfield last season and they do say that winning when not playing well is a good sign. The most impressive team by a distance on the opening weekend were Chelsea. They played some fantastic, slick stuff against a very up for it Burnley side in the 1st half before going through the motions in the 2nd. If Costa settles quickly and has a good first season then I think they're going to be the team to beat.

Liverpool in talks to sign Balotelli. If that comes of it would be a fantastic signing and would improve our chances of winning trophies this season significantly if the manager can get something like the best out of him. I have a lot of faith in Rodgers to do just that as Suarez improved hugely under his guidance, become far more consistent, and he and the club handled Luis brilliantly throughout. A front three of Sterling, Sturridge and Balotelli with support from the likes of Lallana, Markovic and Coutinho is pretty damn frightening.

City did ok with Balotelli in the side. Big fan of his, would be great for English football to have him back, even if he is playing for the bin dippers.

One could argue City did well in spite of him, not because of him. But he had his moments like setting up Aguero in that last game v QPR

Archived