onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

PL 2015/16 - Favourites? Plus my Liverpool...

TylerB

Disagree. Think Rogers deserves any criticism he's getting, yes he had to sell Suarez but he had a shed load of money to find a replacement. But he let his ego get in the way, thinking he could be the manager to finally tame Balotelli and get the best out of him.

His signings all over the team appear to have sent them backwards, he was even alluding to that himself in today's papers by suggesting the team are back to where they were 18 months ago. Sturridge is a very important player but they're clearly over reliant on him as current results suggest.

Rodgers does have an ego. But he's already showed he's a great manager as he's done wonders for Liverpool. He and the club are going through a difficult period right now but tell me what manager hasn't at some point? For just one of many examples I could give you, another young manager who everybody rates and raves about, Jurgen Klopp, is currently in charge of a Borussia Dortmund team that was bottom of the Bundesliga until last weekend. Has he suddenly become a bad manager because that club is going through a bad time at the moment?

He took a gamble on Balotelli and as of yet it's backfired, not because of his attitude but because he's simply not scoring goals. When we signed him a lot of people, pundits included, were saying that it was a positive move for the manager to make. Nobody takes more man managing than Luis Suarez, Balotelli included, and Rodgers handled him fantastically well so he had a right to believe in himself that he could also get the best out of Mario.

Advert

You see he's not a complete joke when it comes to PL football ;)

For me it was a given. Arsenal currently rely on Sanchez as much as Liverpool do Sturridge no matter what Beasty tries to insist. They have too many players that do the same kind of thing and not enough leaders/fighters/characters (whatever you want to call it) in their side. The exact same weakness that they've had now for years, and they will continue to have until Wenger is no longer in charge.

Who, Remy? As decent as he is, he's nowhere near the class of Costa, just as Balotelli, Lambert and Borini aren't the same class as Sturridge. We all saw what Chelsea won last season without a world-class striker. I know there's Drogba too but he's nowhere near the force he was, though he'll still get a few goals for them as any decent striker would with the players they have.

They did well without Costa though. Yes they aren't in the same class but they're much better than what they had last season. Remy would get 15 if he played every week.

He has the potential to be a great manager, he's nowhere near a great manager yet. His tactical naivety against Crystal Palace attributed to his team blowing the title last season. Rodgers is an idealist, Mourinho is a pragmatist which is why Mourinho is a GREAT manager.

Fair point, perhaps he's not a great manager yet. But he is one of the most promising managers around, and a poor run of form doesn't or shouldn't change that in my opinion. Nobody can deny that for him to take Liverpool so close last season, and play absolutely fantastic football in doing so, that he didn't show he has what it takes to have a long and successful career. Obviously there will always be one or two naïve numpties who will insist that it was only because of Saurez, either forgetting or simply ignoring the fact that it was only Rodgers' man management ability that kept Suarez at the club last season, along with helping him to improve into the world-class player Luis became.

They did well without Costa though. Yes they aren't in the same class but they're much better than what they had last season. Remy would get 15 if he played every week.

Liverpool did well in the games without Suarez last season. Remy's a good striker and I was quite disappointed that we didn't sign him when he was as good as at the club. But if he was to play in Costa's place for the remainder of the season Chelsea's chances of silverware drops considerably in my opinion.

No matter the squad depth, every team has one or two essential players that make them a lesser side when they're not available, and Sturridge is that guy for Liverpool even more so now that Luis is now longer there.

Every manager wastes money. Arsene Wenger spent almost half of that on one player that has been woeful for them considering his reputation and ability shown for previous clubs! Moreno and Can are already proving to be good buys and I believe that Lallana and Lovren will prove to be good signings in time too, so I would hardly say that he's wasted that amount of money no matter what position we are in the league at the moment. That's not to say that Rodgers activity in the transfer market isn't somewhat suspect, but name me one manager that hasn't got as many poor purchased than he has good one's and I know for certain I'll be able to counter it.

This is an interesting article, Beechy. Amongst other points, it lists Rodgers buys for Liverpool. I reckon, if you had everyone fit, maybe 4 of the players would get into your first XI. That's not a great record.

http://babb.telegraph.co.uk/2014/11/liverpool-v-chelsea-jose-mourinho-is-much-better-at-transfers-than-brendan-rodgers/

This is an interesting article, Beechy. Amongst other points, it lists Rodgers buys for Liverpool. I reckon, if you had everyone fit, maybe 4 of the players would get into your first XI. That's not a great record.

http://babb.telegraph.co.uk/2014/11/liverpool-v-chelsea-jose-mourinho-is-much-better-at-transfers-than-brendan-rodgers/

For me it's just the same as it would be for the majority of other managers if you compiled a list of signings, a mixture of good, terrible and one's that you can't properly make a judgement on at this moment in time. Daniel Sturridge, Phillipe Coutinho and Albert Moreno are every bit as good signings as Luis Alberto, Iago Aspas and at the moment Mario Balotelli are poor one's. A lot of the players on this list, Markovic, Manquillo, Origi, Can, Llori and Texiera are young players and need far more time than they have been given thus far to prove whether they were good signings by Rodgers or poor ones.

Let's remember that the special one, for example, has made some very poor buys for Chelsea. I'm talking about the likes of Torres, Pizzaro, Sidwell, Moses, Boulahrouz, Kezman, Del Horno, Marin, and Andrei Shevchenko was a huge flop considering the player he was at AC Milan. Somehow Paulo Ferreira cost them over 13 million!

Who, Remy? As decent as he is, he's nowhere near the class of Costa, just as Balotelli, Lambert and Borini aren't the same class as Sturridge. We all saw what Chelsea won last season without a world-class striker. I know there's Drogba too but he's nowhere near the force he was, though he'll still get a few goals for them as any decent striker would with the players they have.

Im sure if Remy hadn't failed his medical at Liverpool you'd bee saying he's world class..:yes:

Im sure if Remy hadn't failed his medical at Liverpool you'd bee saying he's world class..:yes:

Don't be stupid. He was as good as signed for the club at one point and nowhere was I saying such a silly thing or exactly jumping for joy. He's a quick forward with an eye for goal but he's nowhere near world-class. But at the moment I would certainly have him in the Liverpool team ahead of what we've got without Sturridge.

Its basically a race who can finish 2nd now anyway..

Not for me. I think Chelsea will win the league comfortably and City will be a considerable amount of points ahead of whoever finishes in 3rd and 4th place. They should be challenging Chelsea every step of the way but have a manager who only knows how to play one way and has no idea how to change things when things aren't going their way, very much like Wenger really.

Not for me. I think Chelsea will win the league comfortably and City will be a considerable amount of points ahead of whoever finishes in 3rd and 4th place. They should be challenging Chelsea every step of the way but have a manager who only knows how to play one way and has no idea how to change things when things aren't going their way, very much like Wenger really.

Add Rodgers to them too ;)

Rodgers does have an ego. But he's already showed he's a great manager as he's done wonders for Liverpool. He and the club are going through a difficult period right now but tell me what manager hasn't at some point? For just one of many examples I could give you, another young manager who everybody rates and raves about, Jurgen Klopp, is currently in charge of a Borussia Dortmund team that was bottom of the Bundesliga until last weekend. Has he suddenly become a bad manager because that club is going through a bad time at the moment?

He took a gamble on Balotelli and as of yet it's backfired, not because of his attitude but because he's simply not scoring goals. When we signed him a lot of people, pundits included, were saying that it was a positive move for the manager to make. Nobody takes more man managing than Luis Suarez, Balotelli included, and Rodgers handled him fantastically well so he had a right to believe in himself that he could also get the best out of Mario.

He's nothing like great, that's crazy to say.

Great managers win things, he's won nowt! For great managers read Mourinho, Ferguson, Rudge, Paisley, Fagan, Dalglish. Crikey even Souness won cups!!

Archived