onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

PL 2015/16 - Favourites? Plus my Liverpool...

TylerB

Here Here.

Beechy aren't you a Vale fan anyway?

Why do you need Liverpool as your bit on the side? Doesn't the "hard to get" success of Vale do enough for you?

Why are you so obsessed with wanting to know my feelings? I don't care at all about your thoughts, and you shouldn't in regards to my own.

Advert

Why are you so obsessed with wanting to know my feelings? I don't care at all about your thoughts, and you shouldn't in regards to my own.

If nobody cared about or wanted to know anybody else's thoughts, the idea of a forum quickly breaks down.

It intrigues me as to why and how people can pick a club out of a hat, watch them on TV, and then call them "we". Surely being a Vale fan gives you more of a belonging than effectively a global franchise originating from Merseyside?

And tell me what 'top class striker' Rodgers should have bought for this 50 million? And be realistic, this isn't Football Manager. Give me a few examples? Pretty much anyone who would cost 50 million is already at a top club. Rodgers tried to get Sanchez and he tried to do a deal for Reus. It's not like he sat at his home thinking that the 4 million signing of Rickie Lambert was sufficient.

But that is the whole point. If Liverpool want to see themselves as a top club they should be in the market for top strikers whether they are at top clubs or not. Manure got Di Maria from Madrid even though they are not in the Champs League so top players will come if you want them enough and in Liverpool's case, could even offer Champs League. Did they ask about Benzema? Did they try and gazump Chelsea over Costa? What about Higuain at Napoli? Who did they actually try to sign when they had £70 million burning a hole in their pocket and the Champions League to look forward to? Surely they didn't just go after Sanchez with no Plan B apart from Big Daft Mario??

But that is the whole point. If Liverpool want to see themselves as a top club they should be in the market for top strikers whether they are at top clubs or not. Manure got Di Maria from Madrid even though they are not in the Champs League so top players will come if you want them enough and in Liverpool's case, could even offer Champs League. Did they ask about Benzema? Did they try and gazump Chelsea over Costa? What about Higuain at Napoli? Who did they actually try to sign when they had £70 million burning a hole in their pocket and the Champions League to look forward to? Surely they didn't just go after Sanchez with no Plan B apart from Big Daft Mario??

Reus was plan B. Dortmund agreed to sell him only to then change their mind before any sort of contract was negotiated with the player. Plan C became Balotelli, who was always going to be a gamble but has scored goals in the country before. United got Di Maria because they are one of the very few clubs that could match his ridiculous wage demands. Same with Falcao. Nobody knows if Rodgers did or didn't make enquries for the likes of Benzema and Higuain, but it is known that he tried to sign Sanchez and then Reus, and was also close to doing a deal for Costa in January 2013 before the player decided to stick with Atletico. It's all well and good saying Rodgers should have signed this top player and that top player. He tried to sign a couple of world-class players and for different reasons they didn't come off.

If nobody cared about or wanted to know anybody else's thoughts, the idea of a forum quickly breaks down.

It intrigues me as to why and how people can pick a club out of a hat, watch them on TV, and then call them "we". Surely being a Vale fan gives you more of a belonging than effectively a global franchise originating from Merseyside?

I've answered it many times before, including in this thread. If you're that intrigued then look for it. You've posted enough nonsense throughout the thread that I'm quite surprised you never noticed.

Reus was plan B. Dortmund agreed to sell him only to then change their mind before any sort of contract was negotiated with the player. Plan C became Balotelli, who was always going to be a gamble but has scored goals in the country before. United got Di Maria because they are one of the very few clubs that could match his ridiculous wage demands. Same with Falcao. Nobody knows if Rodgers did or didn't make enquries for the likes of Benzema and Higuain, but it is known that he tried to sign Sanchez and then Reus, and was also close to doing a deal for Costa in January 2013 before the player decided to stick with Atletico. It's all well and good saying Rodgers should have signed this top player and that top player. He tried to sign a couple of world-class players and for different reasons they didn't come off.

That's fair enough Beechy but do you not think in those circumstances he would have been better off hanging on to the bulk of the cash instead of blowing it on players who were not quite top class? He would then have been able to revisit the problem in January or in the summer with cash in his pocket?

they didn't come off.

Exactly!! ;)

But the point is if the very top strikers are not going to come surely there were better plan Bs than Balotelli and Lambert..this as i keep saying is Liverpool after all. For all we know he might have bid for Messi, Ronaldo, Sanchez etc etc but part of his job is to get players in who will do a job...and he hasn't done so..he's bought in bunch of stiffs and that is down to him.

Does anyone think Liverpool would have done any better if Suarez had have stayed considering the dynamic duo wouldn't have played together yet and in all likely hood not until at least January?.Would Rodgers have been able to buy any of the players he has brought in?.He did,of course,try his hardest to keep the vampire.

That's fair enough Beechy but do you not think in those circumstances he would have been better off hanging on to the bulk of the cash instead of blowing it on players who were not quite top class? He would then have been able to revisit the problem in January or in the summer with cash in his pocket?

We had Champions League football this season, and I'm sure at the time Brendan wouldn't have contemplated not getting past the group stages after our form throughout last season, so he needed to strengthen the squad which is exactly what he did. On paper, the signings of Lovren, Lallana and Lambert seemed very solid and made a lot of sense. Moreno and Markovic were highly touted as very promising young players and Bayern wanted Emre Can back so he obviously has ability. I think all Liverpool fans wanted to see a marquee signing in the summer but after moves for Sanchez and Reus broke down Rodgers had to do something quickly with the season quickly approaching, hence the Balotelli sale.

I've always stated that Rodgers is a very good young manager but I've always acknowledged the fact that his record in the transfer market leaves a lot to be desired. I think he will still be in charge come January and he really needs to have a good window, brining in players that will make a difference right away, to atone to the mistakes he's made so far this season.

Exactly!! ;)

But the point is if the very top strikers are not going to come surely there were better plan Bs than Balotelli and Lambert..this as i keep saying is Liverpool after all. For all we know he might have bid for Messi, Ronaldo, Sanchez etc etc but part of his job is to get players in who will do a job...and he hasn't done so..he's bought in bunch of stiffs and that is down to him.

Lambert is a proven goal-scorer. His signing was only somewhat surprising in that he was the very first signing of the summer if I remember correctly. His signing made complete sense in that he was being brought in as a squad player and somebody who offers something a little different to what we had the season before. Balotelli was always going to be a gamble but had it come off he wouldn't have looked expensive at 16 million. I can only speak for myself but I thought Rodgers bought sensibly in the summer, in that most of the signings made perfect sense.

We had Champions League football this season, and I'm sure at the time Brendan wouldn't have contemplated not getting past the group stages after our form throughout last season, so he needed to strengthen the squad which is exactly what he did. On paper, the signings of Lovren, Lallana and Lambert seemed very solid and made a lot of sense. Moreno and Markovic were highly touted as very promising young players and Bayern wanted Emre Can back so he obviously has ability. I think all Liverpool fans wanted to see a marquee signing in the summer but after moves for Sanchez and Reus broke down Rodgers had to do something quickly with the season quickly approaching, hence the Balotelli sale.

I've always stated that Rodgers is a very good young manager but I've always acknowledged the fact that his record in the transfer market leaves a lot to be desired. I think he will still be in charge come January and he really needs to have a good window, brining in players that will make a difference right away, to atone to the mistakes he's made so far this season.

Obviously I meant the Balotelli purchase. Long day. :rolleyes:

We had Champions League football this season, and I'm sure at the time Brenda wouldn't have contemplated yap[ yap yap zzzzzzzzz Balotelli sale.

I've always stated that January andneeds to have a good window, brining in players that will make a difference right away, to atone to the mistakes he's made so far this season.

Some years ago, there used to be a radio programme called 'Just a minute' where contestants had to speak for an entire minute without a break, any repetition, deviation from the subject or hesitation - on a nominated subject. All sorts of things were chosen as the subject, but sadly never Liverpool FC, which is a pity because I reckon we might know someone who could have managed a whole week let alone a minute.:)

Some years ago, there used to be a radio programme called 'Just a minute' where contestants had to speak for an entire minute without a break, any repetition, deviation from the subject or hesitation - on a nominated subject. All sorts of things were chosen as the subject, but sadly never Liverpool FC, which is a pity because I reckon we might know someone who could have managed a whole week let alone a minute.:)

I'm taking that as somewhat of a compliment. ;)

Do you think its because Liverpool don't carry an appeal that the other big clubs do? Do they not pay the wages? Or are players just not attracted by their lack of any real success over the long term?

Archived