onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Dyke spouting his guff again

vallyunt

Perhaps some of the pampered English club academy players should go abroad to get opportunities, learn a different culture and language, and grow up to be better rounded people and footballers.

You know, like what those pesky foreigners do over here, with there willingness to travel across continents to seek out job opportunities, their bi-linguilism, and their mature approach to personal and professional development.

Advert

Pesky foreigners come to England to play football mainly 'cause of the comparative high wages payed by English clubs and the employment opportunities provided by UK professional football, as soon as those good enough get the chance to go to Spain or Italy they're off like a shot and I would guess most would take a pay cut to do so.

The phrase "English players should go abroad to gain experience (which I agree with) and come back better players" has been widely used on OVF, however, I struggle to name one English player who's improved his game and become a better player by going abroad, the only possible ones I can think of are Tony Woodcock or the center half/defender who played for Luton (?) and moved to Italy.

Whilst I think the above players improved, they were already accomplished professionals before they were transferred abroad.

What I'd like to see is many more development squad players (18-21) showing more keen-ness to get first team football abroad or at lower division clubs. I suspect their clubs don't help them in this, because they feel the standard of coaching is poorer at lower division clubs, although this argument couldn't hold up in a national context.

I'd say some-one like Jermaine Defoe's career improved dramatically as a result of going out on loan to Bournemouth when he was a younger man. His goals also benefited Bournemouth as well (something like 11 in 11 games before failing to score against the Vale in the 12th game if memory serves me correct).

Whilst I think the above players improved, they were already accomplished professionals before they were transferred abroad.

Absolutely correct

What I'd like to see is many more development squad players (18-21) showing more keen-ness to get first team football abroad or at lower division clubs.

Totally agree..the leagues in Scandinavia, maybe Greece and some of the eastern European countries would give them a great chance to improve and to show what they can do

I'd say some-one like Jermaine Defoe's career improved dramatically as a result of going out on loan to Bournemouth when he was a younger man. His goals also benefited Bournemouth as well (something like 11 in 11 games before failing to score against the Vale in the 12th game if memory serves me correct).

Yep..didn't Beckham go to Preston..another example. They got to play, learned things and demonstrated what they can do in truly competitive matches instead of warming the bench or just playing youth/reserve natches

Chelsea have one of the best academy and development squads in the country,well funded and highly successful at youth level.However none of their players seem to make it to first team level?

They don't get the chance to show that they are good enough..Chelsea too busy bringing in ready made players who have proven themselves already Europe or South America rather than give a home-grown player the opportunity to show what he can do

That's exactly the point and why I struggle to identify someone who improved. Perhaps Lineker is another player who improved at Barca and Luther Blisset is an example of someone who possibly improved as he wasn't as accomplished a player as say a Lineker or a Keegan when he went abroad.

What I'd like to see is many more development squad players (18-21) showing more keen-ness to get first team football abroad or at lower division clubs. I suspect their clubs don't help them in this, because they feel the standard of coaching is poorer at lower division clubs, although this argument couldn't hold up in a national context.

Good shout on the Defoe experience. One player who looked a future star for England at U21 level was the Blackburn striker, Derbyshire (can't remember his first name), he went around a number of clubs and ended up in Greece but it didn't work out for him as I believe he's back in the lower echelons of UK football.

They don't get the chance to show that they are good enough..Chelsea too busy bringing in ready made players who have proven themselves already Europe or South America rather than give a home-grown player the opportunity to show what he can do

What's the point of their academy then?

Archived