onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Michael O' Connor on Trial

AlienTitWrench

Why? How do you come to that conclusion?

The budget may be lower but we no longer have te development squad, lost loads of players and got fees for hugill and Davis. I'm pretty sure we can sign players on a free......

And a fee for Tomlin. Not forgetting players like Jones, Hughsey, Loft and Jeno would of all been on a very very pretty penny between them.

I don't think we are as cash strapped as some on here may think.

Advert

When I saw Michael O'Connor had been released by Rotherham I thought he would be a shoe-in if we could afford his wages. I really do think we need to make a statement and sign both him and Jennings and hope that fans will back us. A full back is then the priority, lets face it we are not going to suddenly find a 20 goal striker looking for work, we would do better taking a loanee squad player from the premier or championship who needs games.

lets face it we are not going to suddenly find a 20 goal striker looking for work, we would do better taking a loanee squad player from the premier or championship who needs games.

Fair point, decent strikers don't exactly hide in plain sight at this time of year, it's not like finding a bargain in the sales. You either pay good money to land one with a proven track record, or you take a chance on one you think can grow into the role.

It has to be a concern that the only proven scorer we have in our squad at the moment is Pope.

But I agree with you - we won't have the money to buy a proven twenty goal a season man at this level so we'll have to look at a few chancers, either on loan from higher division teams or maybe someone who has lost their way and needs a fresh start (a bit like Slew or Forte, I suppose).

Last year we had M-W and Loft to help out with the goals, plus a few from Hugill/Tomlin so we are in need of a couple more now who can find the net. As someone said previously, heaven help us if Pope got a long term injury.

Judging by Adams' comments at the weekend he knows the urgency of the problem.

Very few teams have more than one proven goal scorer in their side. Even the teams at the world cup aren't able to put two on the pitch (England for example). We are pretty fortunate that we have Pope, who we know will be a threat providing that he gest the service that he needs from out wide.

I agree that we will need to get at least 20-25 goals from our starting midfielders next year, but let's not forget that last season, scoring goals wasn't necessarily the problem. Up front, we have only lost Hugill and Tomlin who scored maybe 10 between them all year, so that should be replaceable with a decent striker who can come in a chip away throughout the season.

The bigger issue will be the missing goals from midfielder and for my money, somebody like lines, with his ability. has got to be getting towards double figures if he is able to play in a midfield 3 which gives him the freedom to run from deep. If we play with 2 wingers, then they have to chip in with a minimum of 6 each, and I think that Moore and Marshall could well be capable of doing that (assuming they are given the ball early enough with a chance at committing to taking on people one on one before they get double up). Our problem in comparison to the year before was getting good enough ball out wide early enough to given any of the lads a chance. Better organised defences will always get men behind the ball quicker when defending.

Really, our goals return last year was ok. Our goals against directly resulted in us having no chance eventually of reaching the play offs. It wasn't just the back 4. We were pretty shoddy all year at defending set pieces and working hard for each other in certain cases. It's the defence which still causes me concerns.

Given Adams' comments about ££ and NS needing to be in a good mood then I think the chances of any (more) quality signings are zero.

Loan deals beckon.

I wondered where you'd got to.

Doesn't being so depressing all the time drive you mad? You've never got anything remotely positive to say.

If I was so pessimistic about the Vale, I'd not bother supporting them.

Archived