onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Whats Going On?

Spunk Trumpet

After yesterdays revelations about the "Lifers" season tickets being cancelled, i have asked myself the question all day long.

I am truly baffled by the decision and i can only presume it is finance orientated.

Like others have stated, its 4k a year extra income.

When compared to players and staffs salary this pails into significance.

I was and still am a Norman Smurthwaite fan. I feel he has done some great things for our club by my oh my, when he gets one wrong he seems to get it wrong big style. And here we go again.

His petty outburst last week in reply to a thread on here was unprofessional at very best. Why he gets embroiled, i do not know.

However, his silence is deafening towards the cancellation of the lifers season tickets.

These are people who are the heart and soul of Port Vale Football Club.

They were there long before him.

They will be there long after him.

100+ people and i would half understand. But 15? Come on Norman. Get a grip man.

At a time when we should be really looking forward to the new season he goes and alienates supporters again. I really arent sure whether it is his arrogance, his pettiness, or a business decision.

If its the latter, we have huge problems and questions need to be answered.

It seems that season upon season we havent a pot to **** in. New chairman, same cry for folk to turn out and then the moans and groans when we dont meet their expectations.

I have said on many occasions that it seems he hasnt done his research. We rarely got 4000 season ticket holders when we were in the championship without a premier league club down the road, so where is the proof we should be getting that now?

There is growing concern amongst supporters i speak to about his actions. They are mind boggling. At a time when we should be "Building the Buzz" it seems Mr. Smurthwaite is determined to put a dampener on all things Port Vale.

Im all for being realistic but the man is borderline suicidal with some of his comments.

Its come to a point where im dumbfounded as to whats going on. I cant make head nor tail of his actions over these season tickets. I also dont understand how other clubs with half our gates can thrive and move forward, yet little Port. Vale who averaged 6500 last season, and dont exactly charge a bag of sweets to enter each week, are skint yet again it seems.

Something is fundamentally wrong at the club. Without a doubt.

But its little things i think we miss out on.

We have 13000 empty seats each week and this man denies 15 people who put their money, time and effort into saving our club, a season ticket for life.

The gesture should stay. Its such an awful decision.

Our ten game season ticket kicks in. Norman, il tell you now, you wont get 100 people on it. Why? Theres no incentive. It still works out around 19 quid a game! You can get a ticket next year for 21 quid in advance. Wow. Big saving that is! Miss one of the ten and you arent gaining anything!

Why didnt we get it at 150 quid a game and get a huge marketing campaign going. With anyone who bought one at that price entering a draw at christmas with the chance to win a ST next year?

Remember Mike Aldridge and the target 5000 campaign? Huge success.

Unfortunately without marketing and a decent price these will not sell.

Its a lack of knowledge for the customer base that is severely lacking but more importantly its Norman Smurthwaites ignorance and distain towards his supporters, his loyalest of supporters which stinks for me.

So Norman, should you read this, let me tell you that after months and months of backing you over most things, im disgusted and dismayed with your recent actions and whilst i should be buzzing for the new season, buying the new shirt, spending money i shouldnt in the club shop, you have (and not for the first time) made me feel no excitement whatsoever for the coming season.

And i would put my life on it that im not the only one.

Sort it. And quick. Get someone in to do your PR work as, quite frankly, youre way out of your depth regarding your communication, and more worringly after what ive read about the lifers season tickets, your even further out of your depth regarding decision making for my football club.

If your that hard up for 4k a year, we may as well pack in now.

Paul Machin.

Advert

After yesterdays revelations about the "Lifers" season tickets being cancelled, i have asked myself the question all day long.

I am truly baffled by the decision and i can only presume it is finance orientated.

I was and still am a Norman Smurthwaite fan. I feel he has done some great things for our club by my oh my, when he gets one wrong he seems to get it wrong big style. And here we go again.

His petty outburst last week in reply to a thread on here was unprofessional at very best. Why he gets embroiled, i do not know.

However, his silence is deafening towards the cancellation of the lifers season tickets.

100+ people and i would half understand. But 15? Come on Norman. Get a grip man.

At a time when we should be really looking forward to the new season he goes and alienates supporters again. I really arent sure whether it is his arrogance, his pettiness, or a business decision.

It seems that season upon season we havent a pot to **** in. New chairman, same cry for folk to turn out and then the moans and groans when we dont meet their expectations.

I have said on many occasions that it seems he hasnt done his research. We rarely got 4000 season ticket holders when we were in the championship without a premier league club down the road, so where is the proof we should be getting that now?

There is growing concern amongst supporters i speak to about his actions. They are mind boggling. At a time when we should be "Building the Buzz" it seems Mr. Smurthwaite is determined to put a dampener on all things Port Vale.

Im all for being realistic but the man is borderline suicidal with some of his comments.

Its come to a point where im dumbfounded as to whats going on. I cant make head nor tail of his actions over these season tickets. I also dont understand how other clubs with half our gates can thrive and move forward, yet little Port. Vale who averaged 6500 last season, and dont exactly charge a bag of sweets to enter each week, are skint yet again it seems.

We have 13000 empty seats each week and this man denies 15 people who put their money, time and effort into saving our club, a season ticket for life.

Our ten game season ticket kicks in. Norman, il tell you now, you wont get 100 people on it. Why? Theres no incentive. It still works out around 19 quid a game! You can get a ticket next year for 21 quid in advance. Wow. Big saving that is! Miss one of the ten and you arent gaining anything!

Why didnt we get it at 150 quid a game and get a huge marketing campaign going. With anyone who bought one at that price entering a draw at christmas with the chance to win a ST next year?

Its a lack of knowledge for the customer base that is severely lacking but more importantly its Norman Smurthwaites ignorance and distain towards his supporters, his loyalest of supporters which stinks for me.

So Norman, should you read this, let me tell you that after months and months of backing you over most things, im disgusted and dismayed with your recent actions and whilst i should be buzzing for the new season, buying the new shirt, spending money i shouldnt in the club shop, you have (and not for the first time) made me feel no excitement whatsoever for the coming season.

Sort it. And quick. Get someone in to do your PR work as, quite frankly, youre way out of your depth regarding your communication, and more worringly after what ive read about the lifers season tickets, your even further out of your depth regarding decision making for my football club.

Paul Machin.

Christ, Spunkers. Dunna give him any more ideas.

Great post, though

Great post Spunkers, I feel exactly the same. I was going to renew my season ticket early doors, then held back a bit to see what happened with the signings. And now after everything that has gone on, I really can't be arsed to part with my hard earned cash. Smurf, it seems hasn't a clue, how the hell he has made his money, god only knows. He seems to have forgotten basic communication skills and appears to be losing the plot. Perhaps 'little port vale' will always be just that.

Paul Machin.

I second that.:clap::clap:

Paul Machin.

Best post I've read in months if not years.... the man is in way over his head and you're right if he wants to alienate proper fans for 4k a year its about time he moved on

Paul Machin.

Well said.A straight from the heart post.

Lets face facts,he has only alienated 14 or 15 people.These people paid their monies and took their chance.If the likes of tinvalefan had renewed their season tickets perhaps just perhaps there would not be these cost cutting measures.All you ever get on this site is constant bleating by people who must wear rose tinted glasses.The way forward Norman is to live way above our means you pump another 2 million of your money into the club and when things go pear shape,administration here we come.Such short memories from messiah to muppet in two short years why do you bother,sell up and let the keyboard warriors give some other person hard times.

Lets face facts,he has only alienated 14 or 15 people.These people paid their monies and took their chance.If the likes of tinvalefan had renewed their season tickets perhaps just perhaps there would not be these cost cutting measures.All you ever get on this site is constant bleating by people who must wear rose tinted glasses.The way forward Norman is to live way above our means you pump another 2 million of your money into the club and when things go pear shape,administration here we come.Such short memories from messiah to muppet in two short years why do you bother,sell up and let the keyboard warriors give some other person hard times.

Only alienated 4 or 15 people? 1) Given you work for the club I'm surprised you're so flippant about these Vale fans who contributed not only in our time of need, but have given so much more 2) Given your position, surely you must understand alienating one customer generally has an exponential effect due to word of mouth/social media etc and 3) Is it really only 14-15 fans that have been alienated?

I have a friend whos dad is one of the "lifers", and do you know what she said about the whole sorry situation? "He's annoyed, but he's trying to find the positives in it because he loves the Vale and he has done since he was a tot"! A fan who you group as "only 14 or 15", who "took their chance". If this is what club employees think of us, crikey, it's no wonder the commercial side is on its backside!

And then you go on about cost cutting measures. The 14-15 season tickets equate to £3.5k approx. If we are that desperate for cash, it isn't the fans fault as you seem to be inferring. It must go a whole lot deeper than that!

You seem to have the same disregard for us fans as your employer!

Clearly he hasn't, I don't know any of the 15 personally but this stance without any reasonable justification at this point (can't imagine there is any) has disappointed me hugely and a lot of others if you read the message board.

The OP sums up my thoughts, I feel a little disillusioned at the moment and no signing or the return to training is going to change my perspective on that.

Your first sentence says enough.

Nobody is asking for 2 million to be pumped in.

I am far from a "Keyboard warrior".

I do not wear Rose tinted glasses and i continue to be a fan of Normans.

Unfortunately he has this very, very wrong.

Sadly, you cannot see that.

What a shame.

Paul Machin.

React to that Smurfman boom! Haha

Paul Machin.

Brilliant post !We've all bought our season tickets and feel so let down by all the negative stuff that continues to come out of Smurfs mouth,aimed mainly at us FANS!!Get a grip Smurf and gives us some positive news for a change:yes:

Archived