onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Another week passes.

PortVale4Life

Advert

If we sign players with the same mindset as some on here, We are are doomed !!!, Micky will choose players he thinks will give him 100%. In Smurf & Adams I trust, Keep the Faith

The problem isnt choosing them its signing them apparently

What concerns me is the fact we're talking about taking players on trial already. Surely we should have some sort of list with potential targets that have already been scouted throughout the season? Players good enough to go straight into the first team to replace the one's that have left first. Then start talking about taking players on trial as squad fillers or young players with potential, but this doesn't seem to be the case? It seems all a bit slapdash & amateurish to me. Where's the list of potential first team players? Have they all turned us down, or was there never a list in the first place?

Adams wanted the majority of the squad put together by the beginning of July, can't see it happening myself, but we'll see.

What is clear is that our scouting policy needs to change. Relying on one scout in George Foster (now gone) and MA going to watch the occassional game aint good enough. Agents will now be throwing names at us and we live in hope that we get lucky with a few. Very amateur and should not the recruitment policy of a L1 club.

What concerns me is the fact we're talking about taking players on trial already. Surely we should have some sort of list with potential targets that have already been scouted throughout the season? Players good enough to go straight into the first team to replace the one's that have left first. Then start talking about taking players on trial as squad fillers or young players with potential, but this doesn't seem to be the case? It seems all a bit slapdash & amateurish to me. Where's the list of potential first team players? Have they all turned us down, or was there never a list in the first place?

Adams wanted the majority of the squad put together by the beginning of July, can't see it happening myself, but we'll see.

Thats exactly what should have happened. You get slated here to suggest that signings by adams are often lazy. But it seems we offered out contracts expecting them to sign without preparing other options in advance. Bet there are agents queuing up to offload players onto us though. It'll be more luck than judgement now.

I can see smurf giving it the big 'un about a new signing, we all get excited, then it will be someone who none of us have ever heard of!

Can see it coming a mile off.....

If you think about we rarely sign someone we've heard of.

I'd never heard of Loft before we signed him and we ended up with a decent player.

Yet I'd heard of Adam Eckersley, Tony Dinning, Darren Purse - none of which pulled up any trees.

Sometimes you get lucky with a Lee Hughes.

It's more about how a player fits a club in other ways rather than reputation.

I think the problem we have is that football is a close knit community. Players, scouts and agents talk amongst themselves and the perception may be that we are a cheapskate outfit.

I think the perception may also be that, in our second season, we will be relegation candidates despite our better than expected first season. So, it's going to take a lot to attract players to the squad and money, which is in short supply at the Vale, will play a big part in our pre-season. Micky will have to work really hard and unearthing a gem, attracting a young premier player, or taking a chance on an older player may be our best bet. Anyway, we'll see - still time to get it right.

Even Stevenage, who were relegated appear to be in the process of assembling a better squad. They have made what appear to be three cracking signings, including Calvin Zola. Meanwhile we get some duff defender to join an existing duff defence.

MA will be back from holiday this week and his first call will be to Phil Sproson asking who has he got left on his books.We have a limited budget and players like Lines and Dickinson have been re-signed on good money.Meanwhile any young players at the club have opted to leave. We will end up with a couple of 30 year olds and trialists. Hugill and Knott should have been signed much earlier. Between them Smurf and Adams are taking us nowhere fast.And you wonder why we have not sold anywhere near 4000 season tickets!

Archived