onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

England-2014 World Cup.

Milner at right back for example as Johnson isn't great there, it's good to have an idea of what else you have, but in the large I don't get it. Jones and smalling at the back, what was the point? Flanagan and stones coming on was strange but I think it's good experience for them and will help them in the long run for England.

I can see every reason for the Milner experiment but it would have been more informative with Cahill and Jagielka at CB (as they will surely start) and bring on Jones and/or Smalling during the game.

Advert

Milner doesn't play right back regularly and would targeted by the Italians who in any event play two advanced fullbacks. Johnson has won the Premier League, the FA Cup and the League Cup in his career including playing for Liverpool and Chelsea. So he is a good attacking full back who sacrifices a bit therefore defensively. But there is no solution to this downside in Milner in my opinion. The position coverage could be affected if OxC has to be replaced with one option to just keep Milner for that role and bring in Flaninigan who is out there as full back cover.

Milner doesn't play right back regularly and would targeted by the Italians who in any event play two advanced fullbacks. Johnson has won the Premier League, the FA Cup and the League Cup in his career including playing for Liverpool and Chelsea. So he is a good attacking full back who sacrifices a bit therefore defensively. But there is no solution to this downside in Milner in my opinion. The position coverage could be affected if OxC has to be replaced with one option to just keep Milner for that role and bring in Flaninigan who is out there as full back cover.

Agreed Warren. I don't rate Milner at all but unfortunately due to Johnson's desire to get forward, can almost certainly see Milner being deployed in front of him for protection. I understand this in principal but would much rather we picked our team and let them worry about us.

Would like to see:

-----------------Hart---------

Johnson -- Jagielka -- Cahill --- Baines

--------------Gerrard

------ Barkley------- Lallana

Rooney-----------------------Sterling

----------- Sturridge

Think we will see

---------Gerrard ----Henderson

Milner-------- Rooney------- Lallana

----------- Sturridge

Would like to see:

--------------Gerrard

----------- Sturridge

Think we will see

----------- Sturridge

I think you may be right with the team below, especially against Italy. Wouldn't surprise me to see welbeck on instead of lallana either.

Would like to see:

--------------Gerrard

----------- Sturridge

Think we will see

----------- Sturridge

I think your second back 6 is right. England need to be strong down the middle of the park and Henderson is a mobile player whilst Gerrard can hold position and retain possession well. The Italians are likely to play with attacking fullbacks and therefore central defenders and central midfield player that hold position. So the front depends on whether Hodgson decides to play with pace and skill in wide areas to exploit the areas Italy leave open or goes with a team that is workmanlike and holds good shape. Milner and Wellbeck get in the later of these two. Personally I think playing Sturridge means supporting him properly with other mobile attacking players as Liverpool play, and if not then Lambert should play to hold the ball up better.

Given the form Barkley is in and the talent he has to change a game a position for him has to be found, a little akin to Gascoigne prior to the 1990 WC. Given that Sturridge and Rooney looked a little jaded and out of form respectively recently then it wouldn't surprise me if either made way for Barkley.

So

Milner-------- Barkley------- Lallana/Sterling

----------- Sturridge/Rooney

Given the form Barkley is in and the talent he has to change a game a position for him has to be found, a little akin to Gascoigne prior to the 1990 WC. Given that Sturridge and Rooney looked a little jaded and out of form respectively recently then it wouldn't surprise me if either made way for Barkley.

So

Milner-------- Barkley------- Lallana/Sterling

----------- Sturridge/Rooney

Sturridge didn't look jaded when he bent one top corner against Peru.

Sturridge didn't look jaded when he bent one top corner against Peru.

The last couple of months for Liverpool he appeared to me to go off the boil perhaps due to a niggling injury or fatigue, IMO in the Peru game he didn't look himself although he scored, Rooney also scored against Ecuador. To me Barkley looks in prime form and either Sturidge or Rooney or I guess the left sided midfield player could make way for Barkley's inclusion. Who knows apart from Hodgson.

Would love to see both the Ox and Barkley in the team but it looks like the Ox will be missing for a while with his latest injury.Both have the capability to go past people at pace,which has been a rareity in the England team since Theo Walcott got injured.

The last couple of months for Liverpool he appeared to me to go off the boil perhaps due to a niggling injury or fatigue, IMO in the Peru game he didn't look himself although he scored, Rooney also scored against Ecuador. To me Barkley looks in prime form and either Sturidge or Rooney or I guess the left sided midfield player could make way for Barkley's inclusion. Who knows apart from Hodgson.

I don't mean to criticise view point because I think you are right that Sturridge looked off the pace in the last few games of the season for whatever reason. It could be fatigue and injury and / or a more fundamental problem sustaining consistency mentally.

The thing with Barkley, for me, is that he has played relatively few games at Premier League level (I know a good young one can be a good young one), no games at Champions league level and only a few games for England. But playing him needs to displace Rooney a genuine top level number 10, a veteran of Champions League, and against Italy who are very experienced. Barkley could be 'solved' - to coin a term - once he has been subjected to coach scrutiny. It is a personal opinion, but I think we need to keep Italy at 0-0 for 70 minutes and then unleash the likes of Barkley on them.

I think your second back 6 is right. England need to be strong down the middle of the park and Henderson is a mobile player whilst Gerrard can hold position and retain possession well. The Italians are likely to play with attacking fullbacks and therefore central defenders and central midfield player that hold position. So the front depends on whether Hodgson decides to play with pace and skill in wide areas to exploit the areas Italy leave open or goes with a team that is workmanlike and holds good shape. Milner and Wellbeck get in the later of these two. Personally I think playing Sturridge means supporting him properly with other mobile attacking players as Liverpool play, and if not then Lambert should play to hold the ball up better.

The problem with that second back 6 is that it contains 3 Liverpool players who conceded an incredible amount of goals.

As we have no world class players the key is to be tight at the back first and foremost which I think we will struggle with.

I don't mean to criticise view point because I think you are right that Sturridge looked off the pace in the last few games of the season for whatever reason. It could be fatigue and injury and / or a more fundamental problem sustaining consistency mentally.

The thing with Barkley, for me, is that he has played relatively few games at Premier League level (I know a good young one can be a good young one), no games at Champions league level and only a few games for England. But playing him needs to displace Rooney a genuine top level number 10, a veteran of Champions League, and against Italy who are very experienced. Barkley could be 'solved' - to coin a term - once he has been subjected to coach scrutiny. It is a personal opinion, but I think we need to keep Italy at 0-0 for 70 minutes and then unleash the likes of Barkley on them.

Warren, I didn't take it as criticism, you make very good points and I've surprised myself thinking of England possibly not starting with Rooney who IMHO is an outstanding and one of England's best players. Its like only being able to have 14 clubs in the bag and you get to the hole where you want the one that's been left out.

I hope Hodgson gets the chemistry right as England's attacking options/potential appear good on paper, he may well prefer Rooney for his experience and ability to track back but England's fate, as others have said, is more to do with how well they can defend. It's going to be very interesting.

Archived