onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

England-2014 World Cup.

Well,a decent 2-2 draw against Equador in England's penultimate warm-up match against Equador in Miami last night but that defence really worried me.Promising performances from Ross Barkley and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain until his unfortunate injury towards the end.

Views and opinions please.

Advert

Basically agree with what you said. Going forward we looked excellent, Barkley and ox in particular, defensively really bad but at least that back 4 won't be the back 4 against Italy; who look really poor at the minute.

Milner is never a right back and Jones and Smalling were all over the place,Luke Shaw for me was the only one who had a decent game although even he was at fault for their first goal.

Milner is never a right back and Jones and Smalling were all over the place,Luke Shaw for me was the only one who had a decent game although even he was at fault for their first goal.

Agreed. Foster, Jones, Smalling, Milner, just not good enough. I really hope we take a chance on Barkley (and Ox if fit).

Right back is a real worry for me as Johnson is really poor. I think against Italy I would go with:

-----------------Hart---------

Johnson -- Jagielka -- Cahill --- Baines

---------Gerrard ----Henderson

Ox -------- Barkley ------- Rooney

----------- Sturridge

I would be very tempted to throw Sterling in for Rooney as well, to me our attack is very dangerous.

Right back is a real worry for me as Johnson is really poor. I think against Italy I would go with:

----------- Sturridge

I would be very tempted to throw Sterling in for Rooney as well, to me our attack is very dangerous.

I'd go Sterling over the Ox and Rooney over Barkley, but I agree with the rest.

If he's going to play Henderson, he should have one job and one job only- disrupt Pirlo. Every time Andrea Pirlo gets the ball he has to be chased down, tackled, badgered and basically anything that ruins his flow; he's always said he gets frustrated when he's man marked. He has never used pace and as their playmaker with an unbelievable range of passing, stopping him playing his game will upset Italy's game plan. A youthful Henderson should have enough energy to do this

----------- Sturridge

Id be pretty happy with that, have a feeling though that we will see this team v Italy;

Milner-------- Rooney------- Lallana

----------- Sturridge

Why the hell was Hodgson messing about with an "experimental 11" just over a week before England's first game. Surely he should have a good idea of his starting 11 and tactics by now. Would have thought it made more sense to start you first 11 (or near as dam it) so they can get more used to playing together and develop a better understanding and then bring on subs to try a few things as the game progressed.

Paul Scholes has commented that Welbeck could be used to man-mark Pirlo.

There's obviously some loyalty going on in suggesting Welbeck but the principle, in my opinion, is correct.

To have a pacy attacking player marking Pirlo will push him back and, if they can nick the ball off him, they're away and will be a threat.

Welbeck, Sterling, Barkley, Ox (if fit) - take your pick.

The principle is correct but Danny welbeck should be nowhere near that 1st 11. I though to a degree the experimentation was useful, Milner at right back for example as Johnson isn't great there, it's good to have an idea of what else you have, but in the large I don't get it. Jones and smalling at the back, what was the point? Flanagan and stones coming on was strange but I think it's good experience for them and will help them in the long run for England.

Archived