onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Colin Daniel

Advert

I agree. But turn it on its head. If we signed a player from a premier league or championship side is that then going to be a fantastic signing and work out?

Some of the things ive read on social media this last 24 hours beggars belief.

A simple, "Welcome to the club" is all thats required if taking to the internet to speak about the lad. Not the vile abuse towards his potential footballing ability and towards the club for not making him a marquee signing.

When i see one lad state that he is "off to the bookies to put a tenner on us get relegated after that signing", it makes me disgusted.

Agreed. I can remember being delighted when we signed Tony Dinning after his loan spell, but he turned out crap.

We won't go down.

You need a squad of at least 24 to compete. We used 27 players last season, one of only a handful to have used less than 30. So you need a squad to compete.

I'd rather have 18 decent players, than 24 mediocre ones.

It's funny how times change. Most people my age will be able to remember the whole team for Man Utd, Leeds and Liverpool for the late 60's early 70's. The same players week in week out with the odd exception of a utility player like Madeley and Sadler. The same with the European cup team of Liverpool, where the players played 60 odd games in a season.

To build a team, the players need to get to know each other. How many times did we play teams last year, who new where each other were when they won the ball? They could pass it without looking.

Simiar has been said, on here in the past, about almost all of our players in the last 5 years or so.

Yes, agree.

It's a pretty mixed bag of comments on the MTFC Colin Daniel thread, but one comment sticks out for me there:

I always thought he was a good player, like most of our players they don't like nor aren't suited to our play of style.

So we just have to wait and see if he adapts better to Vale's playing style. I do wonder who the other clubs chasing his signature were.

I'd rather have 18 decent players, than 24 mediocre ones.

It's funny how times change. Most people my age will be able to remember the whole team for Man Utd, Leeds and Liverpool for the late 60's early 70's. The same players week in week out with the odd exception of a utility player like Madeley and Sadler. The same with the European cup team of Liverpool, where the players played 60 odd games in a season.

To build a team, the players need to get to know each other. How many times did we play teams last year, who new where each other were when they won the ball? They could pass it without looking.

But now we have subs for tactical purposes not just for injuries. Thus a faster pace and stamina can be pushed further. Also Euro comps have group stages to suit TV revenue, so more games to play. Thus squads not reserve teams are the fashion, whether Real Madrid would have won the European Cup 5 times on the trot under modern rules is debatable, but I will never forget Gento passing from a wing position.

If we assume that the highest paid player gets £3k a week, then our £1.9m only stretches to 12 players at that level so we do need cheap competent backups.

As for Ainsworth et al, we signed them pre-Bosman when fees for lower league players were much higher.

We've signed players from Moor Green (Ian Taylor, Stewart Talbot), FC Wageningen (Robin Van Der Laan), Lincoln City (Gareth Ainsworth), York City (Jon McCarthy)

Is Rudgey having a laugh

is this what were reuced to..scrabbling aound the sunday league playing fields of Birmingham for unpolished ****$ , the wastelands of Holland (Robin van der lann,,more Robin Reliant) ,the hub of football that is Lincoln and the arsenal of the North that is York?!?!? Christ on a bike..all of these have disaster written all over them. I've read reports about Taylor..a lanky work horse, Talbot is more of a shire horse, Laan is more pratt man than robin, Ainsworth will amount to nothing (some deluded souls even sugegst he is management material) and McCarthy runs like he's got a ball and chain on each leg

God help us if we get someone like Everton in the FA cup any time soon..they would tear that lot apart

Division 3 here we come

I'm not renewing my season ticket 'til i find out who is replacing Raving Lord Rudge

You herd it here first

If we assume that the highest paid player gets £3k a week, then our £1.9m only stretches to 12 players at that level so we do need cheap competent backups.

As for Ainsworth et al, we signed them pre-Bosman when fees for lower league players were much higher.

Go for it...we would **** this league with only 12 players on 3k a week:D;):D

My only concern would be Kaid Muhammed who many seem to slate appears to be more successful in league 2 then Colin, make of that what you will. Maybe its fear of the unknown but we will get behind the lad and see

In what way is Mohammed more successful?

In what way is Mohammed more successful?

He did really well at Bristol at the end of last season and was a regular starter in a promotion chasing Cheltenham side the year before. I welcome any player with open arms but its also worth pointing out that we have got a player back from a loan spell with similar qualities

We've signed players from Moor Green (Ian Taylor, Stewart Talbot), FC Wageningen (Robin Van Der Laan), Lincoln City (Gareth Ainsworth), York City (Jon McCarthy)

Is Rudgey having a laugh

is this what were reuced to..scrabbling aound the sunday league playing fields of Birmingham for unpolished ****$ , the wastelands of Holland (Robin van der lann,,more Robin Reliant) ,the hub of football that is Lincoln and the arsenal of the North that is York?!?!? Christ on a bike..all of these have disaster written all over them. I've read reports about Taylor..a lanky work horse, Talbot is more of a shire horse, Laan is more pratt man than robin, Ainsworth will amount to nothing (some deluded souls even sugegst he is management material) and McCarthy runs like he's got a ball and chain on each leg

God help us if we get someone like Everton in the FA cup any time soon..they would tear that lot apart

Division 3 here we come

I'm not renewing my season ticket 'til i find out who is replacing Raving Lord Rudge

You herd it here first

I've said it before and I will say it again, I FLIPPING LOVE YOU! ;)

Is Rudgey having a laugh

Division 3 here we come

You herd it here first

Admire and agree with your optimism but for every Ian Taylor there have been 10 kyle Perry's so that statement doesn't really hold that much weight for me. My issue here is not about the player maybe he will be the next Dwight Gayle who knows. My concerns are:-

- offering a 2 year contract to an unproven player at this level (Kaid Mo you could argue is an example of this)

- Its disappointing that we are signing lower league players after so much was invested in the development squad last year. I would of liked to see some chances given to the players that impressed who went out on loan at lower league clubs last year.

Archived