onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Micky to sign

jeff1966

Advert

Mr Fielding is bob on as usual. No conspiracies, just rumour and speculation which you can hardly blame considering the amount of bum-soil that NS and MA have pooped out. Sign up Mickey and we can move on, dead simple.

Not sure if I am excited about this news or not.

Pros

We finished 9th in League 1 and he lead us to promotion.

Cons

2nd half of the season we had some shocking performances and results. (Every season under Adams this happens.)

Some bizzare tactics and substitutions.

Seems to have no plan b.

Will never accept when he has got it wrong.

He likes to use the media to criticise fans and players but never his own attitude or tactics.

For the past 4-5 months all he has done is moan about not been given a contract, again using the media non-stop. During this time our results and performances completely bombed, not the best way to earn a new contract.

Oh and yes Micky people will speculate, especially when you tell the media you have a few offers and your going sit down and listen to them, only to leave us fans in the lurch for over 2 weeks and then mock us about speculating.

Oh and yes Micky people will speculate, especially when you tell the media you have a few offers and your going sit down and listen to them, only to leave us fans in the lurch for over 2 weeks and then mock us about speculating.

It's called negotiating tactics. Who knows whether Smurf added a figure or two to the contract in the meantime?

Micky is a professional and he's extracting the best deal he can. I personally don't blame him as any of us would have done the same thing in his position.

Pros

Cons

2nd half of the season we had some shocking performances and results. (Every season under Adams this happens.)

Seems to have no plan b.

He likes to use the media to criticise fans and players but never his own attitude or tactics.

For the past 4-5 months all he has done is moan about not been given a contract, again using the media non-stop. During this time our results and performances completely bombed, not the best way to earn a new contract.

Spot on. I'm in the "better the devil you know" camp, which is odd given MA's undeniable success since he took over first time round, but he is a hard bloke to warm to. Then again, there are much worse managers out there and I do not fully trust NS' football knowledge to hire anybody better.

Mr Adams can hardly moan about "conspiracy" when he told the press (he doesn't have to say these things to the press) that he would decide within ten days and then doesn't.

He'd have to be really thick not to know that fans who love this club would be concerned (as they are not to know he and his solicitor are off on holiday) when he doesn't meet that deadline and announce a decision.

He'd also be pretty dumb not to realise that the media will produce stories to sell papers (some based on bookmaker odds that are not made up from thin air) about links to other clubs when he himself has linked himself to by talking to the press (again something he didn't have to do).

I think he's a good manager and I hope he stays but there's a difference between being a good football manager and someone who's right on every other matter. In my view, all this passive-aggressive stuff he constantly comes out with is just utter rubbish.

It's never his fault when he's the one talking to the press about his options and coming up with deadlines he doesn't stick to.

I'll be delighted if/when he signs but labeling fans as "conspiracy theorists" is a bit rich when he himself linked himself with other clubs. He's entitled to link himself but he's not entitled to get upset when others link him after he unsettles things. It's the pot calling the kettle black, I feel.

Excellent post, Rob.

It's called negotiating tactics. Who knows whether Smurf added a figure or two to the contract in the meantime?

Micky is a professional and he's extracting the best deal he can. I personally don't blame him as any of us would have done the same thing in his position.

I don't blame him for trying to get the best deal, just don't mock the fans about speculating.

It's his style though isn't it? Goodness knows the fans have mocked him enough the season just ended.

Well, perhaps that's just those fans' style? ;)

It seems a bit like there's one rule for managers having a pop at fans and another for fans having a pop at the manager.

Or do we brush all the passive-aggressive stuff as Adams' fantastic "sense of humour"? I feel it's not much good being "funny" if most of your intended audience doesn't get it or indeed see it as humour.

You can change your style especially when it causes more problems than it solves. He just needs to button it when it comes to digs at the fans and say the usual "the fans are great stuff". Afterall, if Adams wants (or least his comments infer) fans to change their attitude perhaps he could also change his? This stuff works both ways.

p.s. I still want him to sign.

Rob,

We all know what happened at the Plymouth and Bristol City games (I'm talking about the off the field stuff) and if you expect someone who wears his heart on his sleeve like Micky to take it without having a pop back you've got another think coming.

Whether that's a good or bad thing is debatable but it was bound to happen.

Pros

Cons

Seems to have no plan b.

I agree. MAs record at Vale is undeniably very good so we're doing right to keep him for now.

I think see where we are in another year or two. If we've consolidated our current position both financially and on the pitch, maybe start casting a net for a new young manager to take us further forward.

Rob,

We all know what happened at the Plymouth and Bristol City games (I'm talking about the off the field stuff) and if you expect someone who wears his heart on his sleeve like Micky to take it without having a pop back you've got another think coming.

I'm actually more surprised with the posters on here saying Adams is right and the fans who speculated are wrong.

In my view, it works both ways. Just as its wrong for fans to run down Adams achievements and post mischievous rumours, by the same rules it's not right for a manager to criticise gossip and rumours when his comments fueled the rumours in the first place.

I just think it's wrong on both sides - for fans to post malicious comments AND for the manager to engage in double standards.

p.s. I really do still want him to sign.

Archived