Sign in to follow this  
George

William Gordon Street

Unlikely anyone on here would know him but my Grandad passed away on march 14th, aged 82, and we had his funeral today. The reason I'm posting it here is he is a life long Vale fan. My Grandad, my Dad and myself have sat together at the Vale for as long as I can remember. It's only recently, when his illness became to great, that he stopped attending games. Before that nothing, and I mean nothing, would stop him missing the Vale. From our pre match ritual of bacon, cheese & tomato oatcakes to our half time flask of brandy with a nip of coffee, he has been a big part of some of the most memorable times of my life. My visits to Vale park will never be the same again.

RIP Grandad.

I didnt know William Gordon Street, but I knew a man just like him, different rituals but same passion and love for the vale... its not easy when they go... but he said he would save me a seat next to the fire...

Sad days with very happy memories.

A sad time

Try to remember how wonderful it was to have known him and to have shared so much with him and hold on to that. I never knew my grandparents but I can guess how hard it must be now..hold on to those great memories.

Nothing can describe that bond from attending the Vale with fathers, grandfathers etc. When they sadly pass, the memories are still there and keep coming back as the games go by. Condolences to you and all the family. Up the Vale

Strange that I always visited my Granddad when I was very young but kind of lost touch when I grew into my teens and beyond. Only after his death did I find that he was one of our own and had traveled far and wide watching the Vale (my parents didn't do football at all). Having known how much into football he was I very much regret never taking my Granddad to watch a match in his later years. We were not so close as I never thought that we had too much in common but had I known I'm sure that we could and would have spent a match or 2 on the terraces together.

RIP Granddad George.

As another who lost a best mate and his son a few years ago(both Vale fans)I know only too well your pain and feelings George. However they are all up there watching down on our great Club mate so keep the faith and shout a little louder each match for them.

Sorry to hear about your loss.

I, like many others went with my grandad to the Vale and I have many freat memories that I still recall them with my lads when taking them to watch the Wellington Phoenix. As they say football brings people closer and provides many great memories!

I am sure many grandparents are remembered through football not just the Vale!

Thanks all. Really appreciated.

My Dad has sponsered the match ball for tomorrows game in his honour, so we are in the directors seats (i think) and has invited family members and his old friends. Hopefully a Vale win will give him a good send off.